: Engine oil overfilled?

cmann_97
07-04-10, 01:44 AM
Alright, I know this sounds stupid. Most engine oil dipsticks show a "crosspattern" of safe operating engine levels. I was assuming that the V crosshatch pattern represents the safe operating levels of engine oil. Miy oil level was closer to the "tip" of the dipstick, so I added 1 quart. Now the level is right at the other far end of the crosspattern (closest to the pull handle). According to the owners manual, the far end (closest to the pull handle) of the crosspattern on the dipstick is "too full", and could damage the engine. Again, I've always thought the crosspattern was a safe operating range......

Any other opinions....

How do i get the excess engine oil out without jacking the car up...

baabootoo
07-05-10, 01:44 AM
I guess it depends upon how much extra is in there. Too much will get air in it (aerated), pumping foam instead of fluid. This is not good. When it has sat overnight, check it then. If you're within the upper cross hatch when sitting, I wouldn't worry. If it's that high just after running, I'd drain some.

cmann_97
07-05-10, 10:48 AM
Is the middle hole (out of 3) on the dipstick the optimum oil level?

Thanx in advance!

cmann_97
07-05-10, 02:29 PM
OK, this is driving me crazy. Look at the attached pic...

I had the oil changed.... including filter...put 6 qts (service manual says so) Mobile1 5-30w in.

Checked it when I got home. Dipstick reading (taken after warm up) is all the way to the right (see pics).

Service manual says that this is too much oil, and could damage engine.

Who is right...don't want to damage $21K motor.:annoyed:

Caroutisine
07-05-10, 04:08 PM
I have the same concern. After a 6 quart oil change it looks overfilled on the dipstick.

cbloveday
07-05-10, 04:19 PM
My oil level mark is at the last hole on the dipstick before the cross-hatching stops.
After a drive and the engine/oil ia at operating temp, my oil pressure is 36 PSI. I do not know if my mods make a difference in oil pressure.

What is yours?

cmann_97
07-05-10, 04:25 PM
Since mine is about 10PSI (45-46) more than yours, I might need to drain a half quart or so. I called the dealership, and couldn't get a solid answer....thanx for the info....this might be something others should look at since the manual says 6 quarts...

cmann_97
07-05-10, 06:14 PM
Drained about 3/4 quart of oil out of crankcase...now showing about half way between the 2nd and 3rd hole on dipstick.....and about 38psi at idle. Definitely too much oil.

Thanx cbloveday!....:highfive:

nynd
07-06-10, 12:08 AM
Drained about 3/4 quart of oil out of crankcase...now showing about half way between the 2nd and 3rd hole on dipstick.....and about 38psi at idle. Definitely too much oil.

Thanx cbloveday!....:highfive:

Next time I think just replace the filter (only). This should remove some oil and also give you some piece of mind with a new filter.

cmann_97
07-06-10, 12:45 AM
Good idea nynd!....I was afraid to wait that long....I was a quart over and oil pressure was a bit troubling (high). Removed almost a quart. The service manual warning might be a bit dramatic, but didn't want to take a chance..

asabase
07-06-10, 09:48 AM
I did the exact same thing you did and was confused by the dipstick not matching the manual. Ended up just draining about 3/4 qt or so out of the drain plug. Just loosen the plug, let some leak out and keep a hand on it so you don't drain the whole pan. Mine is 3/4 up the hash marks now.