: 80 mph - engine quits...

Mitch Leland
07-03-10, 06:41 PM
I'm on a x-country trip doing 80 MPH (Texas speed limit) and the engine just stops... The Stabil-Trak warning light comes on, I drive into El Paso to the Cadillac Dealer (Bravo Cadillac) and they replace the crankshaft sensor. 3 hours and $325 later I'm on the road again. I'm told it isn't covered under warranty with 60,000 miles on the clock.

I thought for a late Friday drop in Bravo did right by me... I averaged 17.2 MPG on 22" wheels for 4,100 miles. Probably averaged overall around 70 MPH. I wasn't too impressed with that, I thought it should have been a tad higher than that. My local dealer said that if I serviced my injectors and throttle body the mileage would go up by at least 1 GPM. I'm not so sure about that for the $250 investment???

07maralade
07-03-10, 07:30 PM
$250 is just plain ripping you off. Go buy some chevron fuel injector cleaner at autozone ($10), and cleaning your throttle body is really a DIY thing. Took me 10 minutes. I didnt even need to take it off, i just iused my dogs old tooth brush to clean all the gunk off while pushing the valve in. Thats all there is to it.

$250 is much better spent on a cold air intake...it will give you at least 1 more mpg on the highway and they sound really cool too.

07maralade
07-03-10, 07:30 PM
so the crankshaft sensor, i dont travel at speeds of 80mph or more. Is there any inspection or indication that its on its way out?

SouthernCaddy
07-03-10, 08:47 PM
if you didnt take it off, you didnt clean it completely. You need to remove it to clean it right. There is ports and openings that you cant get to.

07maralade
07-04-10, 11:02 PM
do i need to reseal it up with any rtv or replace the gasket after i take it off? And also, how do you get the sensor connector off? I don't want to break it.

cadmanchris
07-05-10, 10:01 AM
Why would it not be covered? 07's have a 100k powertrain warranty. I'm sure we covered stuff like crank sensors under powertrain.

slimfro
07-05-10, 03:50 PM
They be lying at the dealership. Sad part is most people believe everything they are told.

North49
07-06-10, 01:24 AM
do i need to reseal it up with any rtv or replace the gasket after i take it off? And also, how do you get the sensor connector off? I don't want to break it.

The connector is typical GM. Slide out the retainer clip then pop off the connector.

The gasket is re-usable. I have cleaned the throttle body on my Trailblazer several times. A key part is to disconnect the battery when you do this job.

Remember that the back of the butterfly will usually be filthy. There is a razor sharp edge where it mates with the throttle body that needs to be cleaned very well so be careful not to slice yourself.

And as for the Crankshaft position sensor ..... They either work or don't work. Hmmmm ...... I thought that would be covered. I would try a call to Cadillac Customer Service. I love it when they have a word with the dealer then the dealer calls you back and everything has changed.

Mitch Leland
07-07-10, 11:51 PM
so the crankshaft sensor, i dont travel at speeds of 80mph or more. Is there any inspection or indication that its on its way out?

Maralade,

No, 60,000 miles on the clock and it just quit... However it did start right back up and ran another 25 miles without quitting again. The service writer said it could go for a long time and not do it again, the part was cheap, but 2 hours labor.

I'll do some more research as to if that should have been covered under the warranty.

hcvone
07-08-10, 06:21 AM
Maralade,

No, 60,000 miles on the clock and it just quit... However it did start right back up and ran another 25 miles without quitting again. The service writer said it could go for a long time and not do it again, the part was cheap, but 2 hours labor.

I'll do some more research as to if that should have been covered under the warranty.

Has the truck had a tune up? 60k it would only help

Mitch Leland
07-11-10, 02:29 PM
Why would it not be covered? 07's have a 100k powertrain warranty. I'm sure we covered stuff like crank sensors under powertrain.

Chris,

Here's what I found when I looked up the Cad warranty for the "transmission"... Transmission/Transaxle/Transfer Case, all internal lubricated parts, torque converter, transfer case, transmission/transaxle mounts, seals, and gaskets.

It appears that the sensor is an "external" part and only internal parts are covered. I'm also asking my local dealer to further clarify the out of town dealers charges, but I think in the final go around they treated me fairly.

jonhamlet
07-27-10, 10:28 AM
2009 Escalade running at 60 mph and the entire car shuts down! Pretty scary. All trouble lights flash, stumbles for maybe 10 seconds and then starts back up again. Almost like the computer rebooted. Now the cruise control randomly drops out. Dealer says they have had reports from around the country but this is first case in SW Florida.

Anyone else experience this? We're afraid to drive it now. The dealer has had it for a few days now.

K9Caddy
07-28-10, 12:57 AM
Sounds like a ground problem... Check the negative battery clamp on the battery and the ground strap.