: Service Dept. disregards vehicle interior

stevec5375
07-03-10, 10:58 AM
I'm interested if any of you have experienced something like this.

I took my car in for service and left it overnight. When I picked it up I didn't stop to notice but later when I got home, it became clear to me that the service personnel that worked on my car scuffed up the interior.

The door entry was all scuffed up with black marks including the speaker area on the driver's door and the seat molding. The door armrest was all dirty from grimy hands all over it. The custom floor mats had obvious dirt on them. There was other evidence of a total disregard for my pristine interior.

This is the first time I have ever had something like this happen at a "high end" car dealership.

For those of you who think otherwise, I really love this car.

Ponyman
07-03-10, 11:49 AM
One time a few years ago, i had a greasy hand print on a door panel, but for the most part no, and never with any of my Cadillacs. My local service department is really good about putting down the paper mats in the floor. When they replaced the chrome tim, there were some prints on the fender and the chrome, but they had offered a free wash job, I just didn't have time to take them up on it. I would take it back to the dealer and show it to them and raise cain if you haven't already cleaned it up. If so, then i would certainly call and complain. Get that shale leather nasty and some tings will never clean off of it.

TheCaptain
07-03-10, 11:52 AM
Yea, there's not much of a bigger kick in the nuts then service guys not paying any attention to a pristine interior. I super- hate that.
When i was scoping out potential dealers to purchase from, i just randomly walked along service area's as much as i could. I did notice most of the GM dealers did the whole plastic over the seats deal, and the one i purchased from even put a half bag deal over the steering wheel! i was blown away! Also both times my SRX visited the dealer, the interior came back the same condition i left it! So i am very happy with my dealer in this matter, but i am sad your dealer stevec does not. :(

stevec5375
07-03-10, 12:16 PM
One time a few years ago, i had a greasy hand print on a door panel, but for the most part no, and never with any of my Cadillacs. My local service department is really good about putting down the paper mats in the floor. When they replaced the chrome tim, there were some prints on the fender and the chrome, but they had offered a free wash job, I just didn't have time to take them up on it. I would take it back to the dealer and show it to them and raise cain if you haven't already cleaned it up. If so, then i would certainly call and complain. Get that shale leather nasty and some tings will never clean off of it.

I took some TurtleWax Ice Interior Cleaner and got it all cleaned up good as new. I feel awkward complaining to my service advisor because he's somewhat of an acquaintance I see "out and about". The last thing I want is to get on his bad side. We only have one Caddy dealership here and it's not in my best interest to alienate them and have them hate to see me coming. But the next time I take it in, I'm going to "gently" mention it to him and ask them to take extra special care of my interior because I work so hard to keep it immaculately clean. My last car I had 10 years and people marveled at how nice I kept it.

SRX Cool
07-03-10, 02:12 PM
Hi all,
I had the same problem with mine. I noticed, in addition to the steering wheel, door trim, even the nice "Cadillac" door sill plastic - all scuffed, greasy, but also the headliner (pretty close to white) all greasy. Turned out the guy who got in had a greasy cap on, and his head would brush up against the headliner. Really tough to get that grease out of those small pores of the fabric. Complaints to dealer fell on deaf ears.

I love the car so much, I just suck it up and am ready with cleaners after any trip to the dealer... I even cover the door sills now with painters tape to prevent any more scratches on them...

PJ1520
07-03-10, 02:59 PM
Yea, there's not much of a bigger kick in the nuts then service guys not paying any attention to a pristine interior. I super- hate that.
When i was scoping out potential dealers to purchase from, i just randomly walked along service area's as much as i could. I did notice most of the GM dealers did the whole plastic over the seats deal, and the one i purchased from even put a half bag deal over the steering wheel! i was blown away! Also both times my SRX visited the dealer, the interior came back the same condition i left it! So i am very happy with my dealer in this matter, but i am sad your dealer stevec does not. :(

This is like my dealer, plus the paper mats and the wash. But I have had incidences here and there where the "care" was not exercised. The exception and not the rule.

I wouldn't go back to complain or call them. Mention it the next time you drop your car off, and ask the service writer to make sure you get back what you brought in, a pristine car. Sounds like the service techs dropped the ball.
It happens.

Ponyman
07-03-10, 03:08 PM
If you don't complain and let them know what is going on, how are they ever going to correct it?

krbaron
07-03-10, 06:25 PM
Upon delivery from my dealer the interior not only had a few scuff marks on the driver and passenger doors, it also had a gouge on the shifter handle. It was delivered to my dealer from another dealer and had just over 200 miles. I pointed out the gouge and the black scuff on the driver side to my sales associate. (I didn't think that I could get that out myself, and I was able to rub off the one on the passenger side.) The sales associate took it to the detail shop to remove the scuff and ordered a new shifter handle. I then (1 week later) had to bring the vehicle back to the dealer to have the rust / sound proofing applied, and when I brought it home I found a large black glob of grease on my light colored carpet under the "protective paper". I immediately called my sales associate and he indicated that he would schedule the detail department to clean the glob when I returned to have the shifter handle replaced. 2 weeks later I brought the car back to have the shifter handle replaced and when they were finished I inspected the vehicle. There were smudges on the carpet, the door, the center console, and the seat. I pointed it out to my service advisor and he immediately retrived the service supervisor who then offered to take the vehicle to the detail department for the second time that day. I declined and told him I would detail it myself and he responded "well what do you want me to do, then?". That was not the response I was expecting. I also feel compelled to add the fact that when I picked up my vehicle the first time I brought it there the driver memory 1 setting was set so it started folding me forward - real funny. I've had the vehicle for just over a month and don't ever want to go back to that dealer. Can I take it to another Cadillac dealer for all maintenance and warranty issues?

sube5186
07-03-10, 09:16 PM
Can I take it to another Cadillac dealer for all maintenance and warranty issues?

Absolutely! There's no rule that says you have to go back to the dealer you purchased the vehicle from. All Cadillac dealers must honor your warranty.

When I had some insulation installed in the area of the left air curtain, they had to take the headliner down just above the "B" pillar. I scrutinized every inch of the light (shale) interior looking for grease smudges. Couldn't find anything. They must have worn latex gloves of something. The entire interior was just as pristine as it was the moment I dropped it off.

I've found that if you take your car in in perfect condition, they know you have an attention for detail, meaning you'll notice anything they damage or dirty. I think this determines how they'll treat your car while in their possession. This applies to all dealerships, regardless of make.

Sube

stevec5375
07-03-10, 10:37 PM
Absolutely! There's no rule that says you have to go back to the dealer you purchased the vehicle from. All Cadillac dealers must honor your warranty.

When I had some insulation installed in the area of the left air curtain, they had to take the headliner down just above the "B" pillar. I scrutinized every inch of the light (shale) interior looking for grease smudges. Couldn't find anything. They must have worn latex gloves of something. The entire interior was just as pristine as it was the moment I dropped it off.

I've found that if you take your car in in perfect condition, they know you have an attention for detail, meaning you'll notice anything they damage or dirty. I think this determines how they'll treat your car while in their possession. This applies to all dealerships, regardless of make.

Sube

Sube,

I respectfully disagree with the part I "bolded" above. You'll never find one more pristine than mine and they still messed it up. I think some people (service personnel), just don't get it. They probably drive around in a pig pen and it never dawns on them that someone would care that much about their car.

sube5186
07-03-10, 10:52 PM
Sube,

I respectfully disagree with the part I "bolded" above. You'll never find one more pristine than mine and they still messed it up. I think some people (service personnel), just don't get it. They probably drive around in a pig pen and it never dawns on them that someone would care that much about their car.

Yeah Steve, your guy was obviously the exception to that rule. :yup: What I should have said is that you stand a better chance of them respecting your vehicle if they see how fastidious you are. However, there's always going to be those people who just don't care.....regardless of how much you do.

I think you should tactfully mention this to your Service Manager. Sometimes they get a rouge service tech who insists on dancing to the beat of his own drum. I agree that they can't fix a problem if they don't know it exists. Also, your complaint may be the final straw that initiates some corrective action. You never know how many other people have complained about this same person.

Sube

DarrinMI
07-04-10, 04:44 AM
I just had my first oil change last week and get the car back with a scuffed up door and greasy finger prints on the A pillar, obviously somebody put their hand there while putting the oil change sticker on the window. (which is not needed since we are not changing the oil every 3K miles) No problem getting the door cleaned up, but any suggestions getting the finger prints off of the pillar? I have used my dealer for years and usually get the car back in the same or better condition than I brought it in, but not this time.

sube5186
07-04-10, 11:01 AM
I just had my first oil change last week and get the car back with a scuffed up door and greasy finger prints on the A pillar, obviously somebody put their hand there while putting the oil change sticker on the window. (which is not needed since we are not changing the oil every 3K miles) No problem getting the door cleaned up, but any suggestions getting the finger prints off of the pillar? I have used my dealer for years and usually get the car back in the same or better condition than I brought it in, but not this time.

DarrinMI,

Here are two products you should add to your car cleaning arsenal. The first is Guardsman (Afta) cleaning fluid. I've used this for years. It cleans motor oil, tar, lipstick, crayons, chewing gum, adhesive residue, etc. from fabric. It's safe to use on most any fabric and definitely anything you'd find in your car. It leaves absolutely no residue and completely evaporates. It instantly dissolves motor oil stains. Use an old toothbrush and dip it in the can so that it's thoroughly saturated. Then, gently scrub the area. Blot dry with a clean paper towel. You don't want to use a new toothbrush because you want the bristles to be soft and feathered. Hard, pointy bristles will cause the "fuzzies", especially if you rub too hard. Immediately after you use this you'll see a wet spot remaining. Don't panic. This will completely evaporate in an hour or so, depending on how hot the interior of your car is. You may see this in the stores as Afta or Guardsman. It's all the same. I've had my 16 oz. can for so long, I didn't even realize they'd changed the name. Don't buy anything larger than 16 oz. It'll just go to waste. With the method I described above, you can see how long it'll typically last. It also has millions of uses around the house as well.

The second product is Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It's a special sponge that removes black heel marks and other scuffs effortlessly. Wet the sponge. Next, wring out the excess water. Then, gently rub the area in a circular motion. Voila! Marks are gone. I use this to clean the lower interior door panels around the speaker grills on the front doors of my SRX. People (including some mechanics) will sometimes kick this area while exiting.

I should point out that both of these products can be purchased at most department stores (Walmart, K-mart, etc.) Neither require much elbow grease, so you don't need to scrub hard. Doing so will only prematurely wear out the Magic Eraser.

In case you're wondering, yes I have used Afta on my SRX. I have the Brown/Shalestone interior. I noticed a grease mark where the fabric on the "A" pillar meets the headliner on the driver's side. Now I'm really anal about my car. Most people would never even have seen this the entire time they owned the vehicle. This had to be from assembly at the factory, because it was in the depression of the seam. You couldn't get your fingers in there if you tried. The toothbrush worked perfectly. The stain is COMPLETELY gone with absolutely no trace of the Afta. This stuff is truly amazing. A friend of mine told me about Afta over 30 years ago and I've been using it ever since.

Amazon.com: Guardsman/afta Cleaning Fluid 32 Oz 4pack: Health & Personal Care

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310206271022&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WVF%3F&GUID=9dd863c01290a0e203750355fe17bd1a&itemid=310206271022&ff4=263602_263622

http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser.do?gclid=CLKS_qiK0qICFYM65QodLCpZyA

Sube

DarrinMI
07-04-10, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the help Sube, I am anal about the car myself. I used the magic eraser on the door scuffs, the pillar was a different story I did not want to discolor the fabric. I am sure they have the Guardsman (Afta) product at the grocery store. I know they stock their furniture care products.

smiley47
07-04-10, 06:41 PM
I always check my vehicle for dirt, grease, damage etc BEFORE I leave the dealership property, any dealership. That way if there is any grime, the S/A can have it cleaned up in a few minutes and can address the issue with the techs that did the work (and the grime). They can't "fix" what they don't know about.

BTW, I have not any any of these issues at my Cadillac dealership. So far, so good.

krbaron
07-06-10, 06:54 PM
I had the dealer offered interior protection applied (Diamondkote). Will either Guardsman (afta) or Mr. Clean Magic Eraser void the warranty? I asked the dealer what I should use and they did not seem to know.

sube5186
07-06-10, 07:28 PM
I had the dealer offered interior protection applied (Diamondkote). Will either Guardsman (afta) or Mr. Clean Magic Eraser void the warranty? I asked the dealer what I should use and they did not seem to know.

Not according to their warranty below. I don't see anything on their website or in their warranty that would preclude you from using ordinary cleaning products. Diamond-Kote is a "protective" treatment designed to minimize the need for cleaning. I don't think they expect you to "never" clean your vehicle again just because you have Diamond-Kote. Besides, if the Diamond-Kote is working as intended, you shouldn't ever need Guardsman. I don't think even Diamond-Kote will prevent black heel marks, so you'll need the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. MCME is not a chemical, so it can't interfere with any protective chemical treatment.

http://www.wausausupply.com/Portals/1/DiamondKote%2030%20yr%20Warranty.pdf

http://www.diamondkote.com/leather-vinyl-protection

Sube

Likely
07-06-10, 10:12 PM
krbaron....I don't have a clue what that "diamond kote" cost you, but i have a feeling it is like doing scotchguard in the good old days,"rip off rip off" by the dealer. I sure hope it works for you!!!! Keep us all posted on how well it protects the interior.....

Likely

krbaron
07-07-10, 06:37 PM
Since the interior of the vehicle has never been completely clean when it was delivered to me as "new", I'm not too certain how well it works. It cost just over $300 for the interior protection, so I thought that was cheap enough to try. I will try the Mr Clean Magic Eraser to get off the black scuff as well as the leftover brown spot on my carpet from the grease glob. Sube5186, thanks for the help.

GMJim
07-07-10, 07:43 PM
WD 40 or any oil based solvent, removes scuffs.

krbaron
07-07-10, 08:01 PM
WD 40 or any oil based solvent, removes scuffs.

No, thank you.

Razorecko
07-08-10, 10:13 PM
Get Scotch Guard Auto, its the best preventative for scuffs on headliner, mirrors,pillars and carpet.

PJ1520
07-09-10, 11:48 AM
If you don't complain and let them know what is going on, how are they ever going to correct it?

PONY...........I agree. You are exactly correct. One has to lodge the complaint, and you are actually doing the dealer a favor pointing out this lack of caution and care.

But I am not about to take my car back (another back and forth trip) and wait for the dealer to make it right. Maybe I should have posted "Call and complain and review the issue with them the next trip in."

I had this problem with an Infinity, grease smudged on light colored fabric on the windshield A pillar while at the dealer. When they cleaned it off, they frayed the fabric.....could have saved myself the additional aggravation doing it myself.

smiley47
07-09-10, 06:46 PM
DarrinMI,

Here are two products you should add to your car cleaning arsenal. The first is Guardsman (Afta) cleaning fluid. I've used this for years. It cleans motor oil, tar, lipstick, crayons, chewing gum, adhesive residue, etc. from fabric. It's safe to use on most any fabric and definitely anything you'd find in your car. It leaves absolutely no residue and completely evaporates. It instantly dissolves motor oil stains. Use an old toothbrush and dip it in the can so that it's thoroughly saturated. Then, gently scrub the area. Blot dry with a clean paper towel. You don't want to use a new toothbrush because you want the bristles to be soft and feathered. Hard, pointy bristles will cause the "fuzzies", especially if you rub too hard. Immediately after you use this you'll see a wet spot remaining. Don't panic. This will completely evaporate in an hour or so, depending on how hot the interior of your car is. You may see this in the stores as Afta or Guardsman. It's all the same. I've had my 16 oz. can for so long, I didn't even realize they'd changed the name. Don't buy anything larger than 16 oz. It'll just go to waste. With the method I described above, you can see how long it'll typically last. It also has millions of uses around the house as well.

The second product is Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It's a special sponge that removes black heel marks and other scuffs effortlessly. Wet the sponge. Next, wring out the excess water. Then, gently rub the area in a circular motion. Voila! Marks are gone. I use this to clean the lower interior door panels around the speaker grills on the front doors of my SRX. People (including some mechanics) will sometimes kick this area while exiting.

I should point out that both of these products can be purchased at most department stores (Walmart, K-mart, etc.) Neither require much elbow grease, so you don't need to scrub hard. Doing so will only prematurely wear out the Magic Eraser.

In case you're wondering, yes I have used Afta on my SRX. I have the Brown/Shalestone interior. I noticed a grease mark where the fabric on the "A" pillar meets the headliner on the driver's side. Now I'm really anal about my car. Most people would never even have seen this the entire time they owned the vehicle. This had to be from assembly at the factory, because it was in the depression of the seam. You couldn't get your fingers in there if you tried. The toothbrush worked perfectly. The stain is COMPLETELY gone with absolutely no trace of the Afta. This stuff is truly amazing. A friend of mine told me about Afta over 30 years ago and I've been using it ever since.

Amazon.com: Guardsman/afta Cleaning Fluid 32 Oz 4pack: Health & Personal Care (http://www.amazon.com/Guardsman-afta-Cleaning-Fluid-4pack/dp/B0030UFO44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1278253612&sr=8-1)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310206271022&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WVF%3F&GUID=9dd863c01290a0e203750355fe17bd1a&itemid=310206271022&ff4=263602_263622

http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser.do?gclid=CLKS_qiK0qICFYM65QodLCpZyA

Sube

Sube, what department carries the Guardsman product at Walmart? I didn't have any luck in the Walmart automotive dept. or at AutoZone.

sube5186
07-09-10, 08:22 PM
Sube, what department carries the Guardsman product at Walmart? I didn't have any luck in the Walmart automotive dept. or at AutoZone.

They consider it a "household" cleaning product. It's not specifically for autos. Check where you see the rest of the household cleaning products. They should have it. If not, try Target or Kmart. If you're not in too much of a hurry, you could always order it direct.

https://shop.guardsman.com/guardsman/store/productDetail.html?productId=14267

Sube

Nichelle
07-10-10, 11:11 PM
I feel lucky after reading this thread. I've had the SRX in the service department to have the splash guards installed and an oil change. Both times they washed the car and vacuumed the interior before returning it. There are two Cadillac dealers here. I visited them both before making my choice. The difference was the service department.

Actually, I think I'm just lucky that there is competition.