: 2000 and up N* engines?

Eldorado guy
07-03-10, 02:39 AM
Hello everyone. I've done lots of research on the N*, but I still have a question. I saw a 2000 STS with a refurbished motor (81K on the motor) on craigslist from a guy who wants to trade a for an older V8 coupe, like a 5.0 mustang etc. I have a 1986 Iroc in really good shape, so I emailed him. I know that these are real prone to blowing head gaskets, but I was told somewhere that the 2000 N* engines had some changes, one change being something to help against a hg failure. Is this true? Are the 2000 and up cars just as prone as a 1996-1999? I've had others tell me that the 1993-1995 cars are less prone too.

I'm afraid to do a hg repair myself. I've replaced head gaskets, but the N* thing seems like a really serious repair. It scares the you know what out of me. I think I could do it, but still...

Thanks,
Dan

Sorry if this has been covered already, I didn't see it when I searched.

Submariner409
07-03-10, 11:14 AM
2000+ went to roller cam followers, redesigned head bolts (thread and pitch), coil-on-plug ignition, and a slew of other changes. The newer engines are seriously different from pre-2000 and have a much lower head gasket failure rate - about the same chance as any other engine in any other make of car.

BUT, if someone wants to trade the car, there's a reason - the STS is quite a different breed of cat from an IROC or RWD Mustang. I would be real picky about a "trade" that you know nothing about.

This would be territory for a long, hands-on test drive and mechanical critique. Learn to pull the Diagnostic Trouble Codes from a Cadillac's built-in code reader/scanner. Print the sticky thread at the top of the main Northstar, Seville, or Deville pages: "How to pull codes". Code definitions are found by returning to the thread and opening the links under the year vehicle instruction lines - pre- and post-1996 and again at 2000.

Ranger
07-03-10, 12:14 PM
2000+ went to roller cam followers, redesigned head bolts (thread and pitch), coil-on-plug ignition, and a slew of other changes. The newer engines are seriously different from pre-2000 and have a much lower head gasket failure rate - about the same chance as any other engine in any other make of car.

Sub, only the bolt length was changed in 2000. Thread pitch change came in '04.

codewize
07-03-10, 01:00 PM
:hmm: Really?

Sub, only the bolt length was changed in 2000. Thread pitch change came in '04.

Eldorado guy
07-03-10, 04:31 PM
Thanks everyone. submariner409, you helped me quite a while back with questions I had about N* issues.

I definitely don't want to get into a pos. I planned on purchasing a hg test kit (to be safe) and I planned to check the codes. My car is nice, and I have a lot invested into it, but it's just not comfortable enough for me.

Eldorado guy
07-04-10, 03:58 AM
I've talked to the guy and it's pretty much a no-go. It has a used motor in it out of a 2001 STS and it's not smogged yet because he says he needs to get the computer reset....seems to me that the shop who put the motor in would have taken care of that, if that's really all it is. He did say it needs a coil pack, which he has, he just hasn't installed it. That could be why the light is on, but still. I have a good running car, I don't want to get into anything that could be trouble. I don't have the money for a 2000 Cadillac that's a lemon.

ejguillot
07-14-10, 07:42 PM
Smart move. And I own a 2000 STS that I repaired the headgaskets on. If you repaired headgaskets before, these aren't so bad (you do have to install the stud kit from northstarperformance.com)