: Looking for a new Laptop

daacon
09-02-04, 10:23 AM
Well my Dell C800 PIII 850 Mhz is still rock solid , albiet gettng bogged down and a little slow (about 4 years old) - getting to be time.

I am looking to spend around 2 - 2.5k. I have read good things about the Emachines , Toshiba is always a popular choice and there are a few HP's that seem to fit the bill.

Required features are hardware (don't care what software comes as I will likley rebuild it from scratch anyway)
built in wireless g (almost all news ones have this)
Decent Video card (preferrable dedicated memory 64mb min)
512 Ram (upgradeable - perferable one 512 stick so I can just buy one)
60 - 80 gig HD
Don't care Intel vs AMD both are good chips
CD-RW
USB 2 ports
15.4 Widescreen

Nice to have
DVD +- rw
Memory Card Reader
fire wire port
17 Inch screen
128mb Video card
quiet (my Dell sounds like a Jet when the fans kick in)

Thoughts ? Anyone recently buy one ?

lowscola
09-02-04, 11:44 AM
Get a g4 powerbook. Switched from desktop pc to 17'' g4 at work. Haven't turned the pc back on yet.

slk230mb
09-02-04, 12:27 PM
At work our laptop of choice was the IBM Thinkpad T41 and let me tell you that it is an awesome machine. Also you can't go wrong with the Dell 5650. Most of my friends have them up here at school and they are all rock solid and take some serious abuse.

Pimpin_Whity
09-02-04, 02:29 PM
u cant go wrong with the Alineware laptops, they got everything from business to gaming, plus they look killer and are made out of magnesium.

http://www.alienware.com/Product_Pages/notebook_all.aspx

they aren't the cheapest u can buy, but you get what you pay for.

jersey dude
09-02-04, 06:53 PM
I second the G4 Powerbook.

But what exactly are you planning to do with it? If you really need portability-traveling, extensive field work-seriously consider size. The 17" is breathtaking and flawless-except it is large and would (in my case) make me think twice before grabbing it to take with me on the road without my sherpa in tow. Don't overlook the 15" for that reason alone. Just as stunning and a bit less of a battery hog. (Both of those have illuminated keys-you have to see it...). I have the 12" and the thing goes everywhere as it is just so light and portable. BUT-I also have a G4 tower and 22" cinema screen that I can hook up to the Powerbook when I need the bigger real estate-which by the way-I rarely do.

Then what will you be doing? Macs are great for design, video work, etc. Throw whatever at them and they can't be beat. Gaming (of which I have no experience-use PS2 for that) from what I understand is alot better on the PC side. CAD stuff, too, I understand is still underdeveloped on the Mac side.

Take a trip to an Apple store and actually play around with them. Really, really beautiful machines.

Alienware...Pretty amazing looking laptops. I really want to see a green one in person some time. 'Bout time companies started having fun with design.

daacon
09-02-04, 07:36 PM
Portability not a concern - no road warrior here - may get 1 - 3 buisness trips a year. Durability a key as I am pretty rough on stuff Current Dell is heavy with all attachments (gotta be > 10lbs) . Current Dell also has 15 inch screen - big enough really - Current Dell still very functional actually and has handled much abuse with little whining - my "need" is more of "want" still trying to convince myslef :yup: (it is almost 4 years old !!!!)

Good question on what I will use it for -

a)Work Laptop mostly - so it need to run Windoze tools - connect to coporate worlds (I am a consultant) oralce tools, Miscrosoft Office , Unix (ssh , sftp) - Apple probably has all these but don't want to buy them again - Microsoft office Pro is like 4 car payments !!!

b) 'Play" Media machine and games :lildevil: - then the Mac and others have great potential. I like to create DVD;s slide shows , etc.... like FPS games , haven't played in a while though.

Also I'll bet there is a 1 -2k difference in Machine a and Machine b

Pimpin_Whity
09-02-04, 07:45 PM
i dont think it'll get more durable then magnesium body and chasis. and if u wana play games then Alienware is the way to go, it beats even the more expensive Dell laptop. just check out the configuration and u'll find what u want :thumbsup:

Edit: it has Wireless Lan spec a/b/g and Bluetooth, and plays FarCry and Doom 3 :shhh:

majax
09-02-04, 08:35 PM
u cant go wrong with the Alineware laptops, they got everything from business to gaming, plus they look killer and are made out of magnesium.

http://www.alienware.com/Product_Pages/notebook_all.aspx

they aren't the cheapest u can buy, but you get what you pay for.

Yeah your right they are the best Windows systems you can get probably. Also I would suggest a Toshiba laptop I had one ran forever.

c5 rv
09-02-04, 09:34 PM
I used to be a road warrier and have many working for and with me. We had a lot of trouble with Toshiba and Gateway units - especially Toshiba. You should have seen our demo folks doing a song-and-dance while they untwisted a paperclip to reset their Toshibas and wait for them to reboot.

The best were the IBM thinkpads. One of my folks knocked a running thinkpad off his desk onto the thinly carpeted concrete floor. The unit keep running with a broken display hinge. We kept taking that unit on the road to trade shows as a backup PC to run slideshows in our booth.

daacon
09-02-04, 09:40 PM
I used to be a road warrier and have many working for and with me. We had a lot of trouble with Toshiba and Gateway units - especially Toshiba. You should have seen our demo folks doing a song-and-dance while they untwisted a paperclip to reset their Toshibas and wait for them to reboot..

Really ...where they Satellites ? Do you remember the model name ? As I have mentioned my Dell is built like a tank - but it is was also pretty $$$ (bought in 2001 for about 5k) - was thinking today should be able to get twice the machine for half the price. Although there is a rule I read somewhere that the "computer you want" will always cost around 5k :crying2:

Spock
09-03-04, 01:39 AM
Go with Toshiba! If you want to pay something crazy for a laptop go Panasonic for their toughbooks. IBMs are fine too. Apples are nice, not durable. And recently they had battery recalls so ha ha! Dells are good units, but I like to deal with someone in person and similarily bitch at someone when something goes wrong, not having to talk over the phone.

You live in the park right? Well I work at London Drugs computers on wye, I'll be there tomorrow at 5-10 Sept 3rd, we can go through some specs together and weigh the options. London Drugs carries compaqs, hp's, apple, toshiba, panasonic (some models). I'd be driving my caddy, but she's getting ready for me to paint her! The original sandstone. It's rather naked in the garage without chrome and all scruffy from the sanding. Hopefully it goes well. Acrylic enamel should be ok.

T_Dogg8
09-03-04, 08:41 AM
i use a lot of thinkpads at work and i'm not really happy with them. their built nice but they seem to be having more and more 'weird' software issues. they just do a lot of weird thigns that are annoying. their desktops are even worse. they shipped a desktop that runs too hot at idle and shuts itself off. because of that i worry about their quality control.

daacon
09-03-04, 10:52 AM
You live in the park right? Well I work at London Drugs computers on wye, I'll be there tomorrow at 5-10 Sept 3rd, we can go through some specs together and weigh the options. London Drugs carries compaqs, hp's, apple, toshiba, panasonic (some

Cool - I may do that - I have actually been to that store numerous times looking at stuff - almost bought a new desktop there. We may have talked already !

My rant was a want ........after carefull review of my needs (flooring) - Laptop my be put on hold , but will definitely try and get there ...cool.

Getting the Caddy painted eh ? Sweet ...where did ya get it done ? Have to post some pics (new paint is another "want" I have :histeric: )

Spock
09-07-04, 03:38 AM
Where am I getting it painted? Garage a la Moi :)

Cost of acrylic enamel-200 dollars, cost of my time? well it's been a week since I've been taking all the chrome off, sanding, washing sanding washing.

If you do stop by the London Drugs again, my name is Abbas, the dashing brown fellow lol.

Pimpin_Whity
09-07-04, 12:26 PM
Really ...where they Satellites ? Do you remember the model name ? As I have mentioned my Dell is built like a tank - but it is was also pretty $$$ (bought in 2001 for about 5k) - was thinking today should be able to get twice the machine for half the price. Although there is a rule I read somewhere that the "computer you want" will always cost around 5k :crying2:

the Alienware is around 3k :thumbsup:

c5 rv
09-07-04, 02:55 PM
Really ...where they Satellites ? Do you remember the model name ? ...

Sorry, I don't remember what model they were. It was a few years ago and they may have much better units now. I remember that they were Toshiba's latest and greatest, and were priced as such.

As for the IBM thinkpads, T_dogg8 may have a point since IBM added additional software to "help" you recover from viruses and other problems.

airbalancer
09-07-04, 05:51 PM
Try http://www.directdial.com/ca/shop/?lang=0 they have price in Canadian and US $
Got the wife an Accer laptop from there.
My IBM is almost 3 years and still good strong except for the battery.

AirJigga25
09-07-04, 06:39 PM
I will be buying a Laptop for work soon. I was hoping to pay under $1500. Any ideas? I also want a DVD burner and a very fast processor.