: trouble shooting and repair hydro electric folding top

70LAC
07-02-10, 05:49 PM
ok so since i have had my 70 vert the top has not worked , i have no dash lights on in my car the switch doesn't even make a noise, i think i have whats called the piston rod unattached so i can fold it manually but now its time to trouble shoot and try to fix it, i got the fisher shop manual and its looking helpful my electrician friend said put my meter to the pump and see if its getting powered when i hit the switch so im going to try to do that . anyone ever worked on a non working top before any helpful info would be great, if its the switch it looks like a bitch to get to because its below the speedometer on the dash, i got a voltage meter and tools and gonna see what we can do maybe post pics and vidoes if this site lets me just for you.,

70LAC
07-09-10, 04:37 AM
well i did the test light from the conector to the the pump and the light came on when the switch was hit up and down. so the problem is after the connector maybe it needs more fluid or the pump is bad but when i hit the switch the pump makes no noise at all... do you think the pumps bad or would it not make noise without fluid?

70LAC
07-09-10, 04:49 AM
http://www.usedcargod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/771089toyota025.jpg.w560h420.jpg

70LAC
07-09-10, 04:53 AM
http://www.usedcargod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/771089toyota026.jpg.w560h420.jpg

cadillac_al
07-09-10, 07:14 AM
You're lucky the switch still works; I hear they can burn out and yours sounds hard to change. It sounds like your motor/pump isn't working. I have a '70 Impala convertible and I have never ever looked at the pump and don't really know how it works. I assume when I hit the switch a little motor turns a pump and voila. I have seen those pumps on ebay so it may me a matter of just replacing it. I'll try to take a look at it today and see if I can see anything helpful. One reason I never watch it working is because it would require another person to work the switch while I watch it; never done it.

One thing I learned about convertibles is that you have to put the top up regularly. I used to leave mine down all the time and it shrunk in that position so when I finally needed to close it, it ripped and pulled out of the back. Oh well, I still leave it down now because I drive something else on rainy days.

70LAC
07-10-10, 03:12 AM
thanks for taking a look. i think it might be the motor is bad but i dont know . does anyone know a place that rebuilds them or a way to figure out if the motors bad?

chp350
07-11-10, 01:10 AM
I have a 70 convert also..just got a 1965 deville convert that is a basket case. the top works perfect..i put it up and down 10 times because everybody that looked at the car did not believe that it worked..my plan is to scrap the 65..what parts do u need for your top to work?

70LAC
07-14-10, 03:08 PM
I have a 70 convert also..just got a 1965 deville convert that is a basket case. the top works perfect..i put it up and down 10 times because everybody that looked at the car did not believe that it worked..my plan is to scrap the 65..what parts do u need for your top to work?
thanks for your reply right now the top dosnt even come up i cant find the fuse box its getting body work and paint so i cant realy look to see whats needed, its stuck in the down position the 70 is totally different top system becuase i could remove two bolts and then do it manually but i cant seem to do that with the 65 right now i know need a header bar of the top can you send me pics of your 65?

jayoldschool
07-14-10, 03:31 PM
You need to see if the pump is getting power, and if there is fluid transfer to the cylinders. Unplug the harness to the pump, and test for voltage when the switch is activated. Then, put 12v directly to it to see if it works.

chp350
07-14-10, 05:14 PM
my 70 top looks the same as the 65 ,except for the top motor is in a different postion..I always thought the gm tops were the same for 1965-1970, my email address is, gtowith455@hotmail.com..reply to me there and I will send pics of the car