: Sport mode?

pcolacadisrx
07-02-10, 05:31 PM
As I moved my hand from my wife's lap to the steering wheel last night I brushed the gearshift lever and threw it into the "sport mode". No one explained this to me and I looked in the book last night and didn't see it? Anyone know what that does? How/when do I employ it?

stevec5375
07-02-10, 05:42 PM
As I moved my hand from my wife's lap to the steering wheel last night I brushed the gearshift lever and threw it into the "sport mode". No one explained this to me and I looked in the book last night and didn't see it? Anyone know what that does? How/when do I employ it?

It's on page 8-25 in the manual.

1. Move the shift lever to
the left from D (Drive) to
M(Manual Mode).
If you do not move the shift lever
forward or rearward, the vehicle
will be in Sport Mode. When you
are in Sport Mode the vehicle
will still shift automatically. The
transmission may remain in a
gear longer than it would in the
normal driving mode based on
braking, throttle input, and
vehicle lateral acceleration.
An S will be displayed in
the DIC.
Within Sport Mode there is a
further performance feature
called Performance Mode Lift
Foot (PMLF) Mode. The feature
is activated automatically when
sports oriented driving is
detected, based on cornering
and on/off throttle application.
PMLF allows the transmission to
hold the current gear instead of
upshifting when the throttle is
lifted.

You can also download a free copy of the manual online in PDF format and do searches. That is how I found "Sport mode" and copied out the text above.

Here's the link: http://www.4shared.com/dir/0JzUNjsz/sharing.html

pcolacadisrx
07-02-10, 06:01 PM
Thanks I appreciate it.

Esquire02
07-03-10, 09:19 PM
While we are on this topic, can someone explain to me what sport mode really does from a practical sense. I know what the manual says but to be honest, I have put the car in sport mode for extended periods of time to see if I could notice any difference between that and normal mode. I can't. When should I use it, if ever?

EChas3
07-03-10, 09:35 PM
I know I'm just visiting over here in the new SRX forum, but most if not all of the modern Cadillacs have this feature. Like it says, under acceleration it will hold a gear a bit longer. In the STS & CTS, if you're driving the car hard, the effect will build. Yours probably does, too.

It will also downshift easier when accelerating or decelerating. The effect is so strong in the CTS that some members report the shifts as rough. Imagine how you would work a manual transmission going through some S's. In Sport Mode, your automatic will approach manual shifting patterns. I think it is cool.

IMHO, my STS 5-speed AWD with the 3:23 gearing has an amazing transmission control program. It's a lot more than just gear selection under different conditions, it actually adjusts to your driving pattern. The program adjusts when and how hard the torque converter works and the 'lockup' clutch.

I don't think my wife's 6-speed RWD with the lower gearing is as much fun to drive as mine. It is more economical. BMW puts that 6-speed (different program) in their 533 (or whatever).