: Diff rubbing when turning?

ProdigalSON
07-02-10, 04:42 PM
Hey guys - I have had an 05 V for the past 2 1/2 yrs with it's original diff
(67K miles - out of warranty :(). It makes a rubbing sound when turning at slow speeds both Left & Right.

She has been a faithful daily driver and short of this rubbing sound, never given me any real issues (knocks on wood). I never dump the clutch or hop her. Any races, have always been from a roll because I dont want to grenade the diff.

I've done the FAQ diff treatment every year I've owned her but the sound comes back after about 6 months.

Is there anything else I can do for her short of buying a newer differential? Any different fluid, etc. If I have to buy a new diff, which one 06 or 07?

Thanks for your help / info:worship::worship::worship:

heavymetals
07-02-10, 05:14 PM
Rebuild the clutch packs in the diff.

Twitch
07-02-10, 08:34 PM
I get a rubbing sound with sharp turns. To me, it's normal. I like knowing I have a tight limited slip diff. But I don't get it during normal driving.
If you want a new diff, search "gen III" for the part number. There's a newer model than the 06/07.
If worse come to worse, take Heavy's advice.

ProdigalSON
07-02-10, 09:47 PM
I get a rubbing sound with sharp turns. To me, it's normal. I like knowing I have a tight limited slip diff. But I don't get it during normal driving.
If you want a new diff, search "gen III" for the part number. There's a newer model than the 06/07.
If worse come to worse, take Heavy's advice.

Twitch & Heavy - THANKS for the advice. I guess if the rubbing sound isn't damaging the diff / car then I have no problem leaving as is. :helpless: I just do normal daily driving and dont abuse her so hopefully she holds :)

ewill3rd
07-03-10, 10:58 AM
What fluid do you have in it?

When these problems started surfacing I found a document that has a flush procedure. I think it is a TSB now.
You drain the diff, fill it with the 75W-90 synthetic, go drive it until it is nice and hot, then drain it again.
Fill it back up using the friction modifier and 2 new bottles of fluid, then drive it.

The clutch packs need the modifier and most people don't seem to realize that the V diff is a G80. The V package deletes the G80 option from the SPID label but it does have it.
I have seen lots of them with just the fluid fill and no modifier.
The XLR does something similar but they use a different fluid with the modifier built in.
I was told by the BQM for XLR not to use it in the V though as there is some sort of difference.

ProdigalSON
07-03-10, 06:07 PM
What fluid do you have in it?

When these problems started surfacing I found a document that has a flush procedure. I think it is a TSB now.
You drain the diff, fill it with the 75W-90 synthetic, go drive it until it is nice and hot, then drain it again.
Fill it back up using the friction modifier and 2 new bottles of fluid, then drive it.

The clutch packs need the modifier and most people don't seem to realize that the V diff is a G80. The V package deletes the G80 option from the SPID label but it does have it.
I have seen lots of them with just the fluid fill and no modifier.
The XLR does something similar but they use a different fluid with the modifier built in.
I was told by the BQM for XLR not to use it in the V though as there is some sort of difference.

Thanks - My tech did the friction modifier last time, but not sure if he did the TSB procedure with the synthetic. I will hit them up next time and have them do this.

Thanks again

ewill3rd
07-04-10, 08:34 AM
The GM part number listed for this vehicle is a synthetic lubricant.
If the part number for the fluid ends in 1677 then he used the right stuff.

If it still does it and you are worried about it I think some guys have done the clutches.