: Please talk me out of this horrible idea.

Jesda
07-02-10, 04:57 AM
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/1798639947.html

1961 Mercedes Benz 190b - $900 (st. louis)
Date: 2010-06-18, 12:26PM CDT
Reply to: sale-vqc6t-1798639947@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

runs pretty good,,, 4 speed on the column,, needs a little brake work,, lots of spare parts come with it,, 314 773 4222

:hmm:

greencadillacmatt
07-02-10, 05:12 AM
^Looks like a solid car. I could see you driving something like that. Although I would find out how hard it is to find parts for.

(Also, I think it kind of looks like a Trabant.:hide:)

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp126/greencadillacmatt/Trabant.jpg

Jesda
07-02-10, 05:23 AM
I just sent an e-mail to the owner. I've lost my mind.

ga_etc
07-02-10, 05:29 AM
An old Saab, an ancient Mercedes, and a Grand Cherokee... you really don't like having any money, do you?

ben.gators
07-02-10, 06:50 AM
Oh boy, when I was a kid I can remember such a MB in our neighborhood, and should confess that I always liked it! :D
However I think one retro car in a driveway is all enough, until you are a bilioner and would like to have a collection of retro cars!

Jesda
07-02-10, 07:52 AM
A part of me hopes the owner doesn't email me back because I know that upon seeing, starting, and driving it around the block, I'll be hooked (and on the hook for several [several!] thousands in repairs, upgrades, and oddities). This is how I ended up with the Saab. I saw it, saw all the problems and all the neglect, and took it home anyway because it looked at me with puppy dog eyes and said "I need you." Most people see a car with its foot in the grave and wisely walk away. I unfortunately find that appealing.

ARGH!

Rolex
07-02-10, 08:15 AM
You seem to have an obsession with money pit cars now. This one takes the cake.

For my money I expect a vehicle to be ready to drive. I wouldn't mind a few cosmetic issues as long as a vehicle is mechanically sound. But "needs brake work" is a red flag on a modern vehicle. And buying a classic car you can bet that brake work is the least of what it needs. Hemorrhaging money into a classic is a labor of love J....and you'll NEVER get a return on that money.

99% of cars are depreciating assets. Some more than others. Cool car though. :)

hueterm
07-02-10, 10:06 AM
Jesda, that is horrible.

I'm in town for the holiday....I can meet you somewhere later and beat your ass so that you stop thinking about that macerated kraut dumpling.....

Stingroo
07-02-10, 10:08 AM
Jesda, that is horrible.

I'm in town for the holiday....I can meet you somewhere later and beat your ass so that you stop thinking about that macerated kraut dumpling.....

Needs to be put on YouTube.

hueterm
07-02-10, 10:10 AM
Like an after-school, hair pulling bitch fight...

Jesda
07-02-10, 12:13 PM
Jesda, that is horrible.

I'll be available this evening after 6pm or this weekend anytime. Ring me. I'll drag Ian out too.

OffThaHorseCEO
07-02-10, 12:23 PM
You seem to have an obsession with money pit cars now. This one takes the cake.

For my money I expect a vehicle to be ready to drive. I wouldn't mind a few cosmetic issues as long as a vehicle is mechanically sound. But "needs brake work" is a red flag on a modern vehicle. And buying a classic car you can bet that brake work is the least of what it needs. Hemorrhaging money into a classic is a labor of love J....and you'll NEVER get a return on that money.

99% of cars are depreciating liabilities. Some more than others. Cool car though. :)

fixed.

ted tcb
07-02-10, 12:32 PM
Jesda, I know you are aware of the number 1 rule in buying an antique auto ....

"Always Buy The Best Example You Can Afford".

I can see next year's Craigslist ad ... " For Sale, 1961 Benz, $6000 invested, $1500 OBO!

Jesda
07-02-10, 01:22 PM
Jesda, I know you are aware of the number 1 rule in buying an antique auto ....

"Always Buy The Best Example You Can Afford".

I can see next year's Craigslist ad ... " For Sale, 1961 Benz, $6000 invested, $1500 OBO!

I could probably post the same ad on the Saab.
"Paid $900, spent $4000, will take two grand"

Except for the "will take two grand" part. :) At this point I'd only sell it to a SaabCentral member or someone truly in the know. Actually, this applies to just about every used car I've owned -- they all cost little to buy, plenty to fix. The question in the end is: did I enjoy myself? If the answer is no, then even if I broke even, it was a loss.

The biggest money pit I ever owned was a 1992 Infiniti Q45. It was just a decade old when I bought it, but parts were hellishly expensive and no one knew how to properly service it. I spent $8000 on repairs (much of it DIY) and routine maintenance then sold it for $950 three years later. I originally paid $3600.

Every moment with that car, even the miserable ones where I wrenched on it during humid summer days, still put a smile on my face.

Now we're getting philosophical...

I figure its a bit like casual dating. You never make money from most relationships. Women are typically money pits. A handful, if you marry up, offer financial gains, but for the most part its a system where you lose. But in the end, did you enjoy any of the experience? If you never had great conversations, great arguments, or great experiences with her, then even if you broke even financially or never got hurt, it was a loss because the time spent could have been used with someone more interesting.

But yeah, from a practical standpoint, I really hope the guy doesn't call. :D

gary88
07-02-10, 01:34 PM
I'm pretty sure you need a curly mustache and monocle just to test drive one of those anyways.

orconn
07-02-10, 01:45 PM
You guys are too young to remember these old Mercedes 190s, clapped out, and running around Third World (that's being generous) countries doing duty as taxi cabs. They are incredibly slow, very homely and as collectible as dirt. On top of this you can be sure that any parts you might need for this bit of German obsolete engineering will cost an arm and a leg. I remember riding in this model 190 back when they were brand new, a friend of mine's dad thought this would make a great car for his teenage daughter, to say that it was a "slug," by late 1950's standards, does not do justice to how slow this thing was. To buy it would be to confirm your strong tendency toward automotive masochism!

Jesda
07-02-10, 01:55 PM
The air filter for this W121 is back in production. The price? $75... for a basic round paper filter... LOL.

I have to give MB credit -- they seem to care deeply about maintaining their legacy and heritage, but it'll cost you.

ga_etc
07-02-10, 02:49 PM
The little voice in the back of your head should be screaming "DON'T DO IT!!!!" your ears should be bleeding.

The Tony Show
07-02-10, 03:15 PM
The thought of buying this car reminds me of other brilliant statements made right before disaster strikes. Gems such as "Don't worry, I'm wearing shark repellent" and "I was going to use a condom, but then I thought- when am I ever going back to Haiti?"

Jesda
07-02-10, 03:21 PM
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01013/jeremy_clarkson_1013828c.jpg
"How hard can it be?"

77CDV
07-02-10, 04:47 PM
This situations reminds me of a Far Side cartoon, with Jesda standing looking at the Benz with the caption "Trouble brewing".

gdwriter
07-02-10, 04:48 PM
I'm pretty sure you need a curly mustache and monocle just to test drive one of those anyways.:histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric::h isteric:

I suspect if you drive it (and it doesn't blow up), you'll buy it. And if the mechanical issues are too much to deal with, you can try to pawn it off on some other schlub with a fetish for weird cars for about what you paid.

RightTurn
07-02-10, 04:54 PM
:histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric:

I suspect if you drive it (and it doesn't blow up), you'll buy it. And if the mechanical issues are too much to deal with, you can try to pawn it off on some other schlub with a fetish for weird cars for about what you paid.

lmao.

Florian
07-02-10, 05:36 PM
Jesda, you impulsive douchenozzle. Put down the bong and get off the computer and go do something creative with your life other than buying shitbox cars.

F

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-02-10, 06:16 PM
Oh christ no. Just no. I'm the voice of reason on this one. I've been hung out to dry by that S320 many, many times and that was SOOOO much newer and easier to find parts for than this one. Just no.

Now, a 1961 Chevy Impala..... yeah that'd be cool. :)

hueterm
07-02-10, 06:31 PM
I'll be available this evening after 6pm or this weekend anytime. Ring me. I'll drag Ian out too.

Hopefully he will help me and give you a double bitch slap...

gdwriter
07-02-10, 06:47 PM
Now, a 1961 Chevy Impala..... yeah that'd be cool. :)And you can still get parts for one of those at NAPA. Do it all the time with Betty.

ben.gators
07-02-10, 06:52 PM
You never make money from most relationships. Women are typically money pits. A handful, if you marry up, offer financial gains, but for the most part its a system where you lose. But in the end, did you enjoy any of the experience? If you never had great conversations, great arguments, or great experiences with her, then even if you broke even financially or never got hurt, it was a loss because the time spent could have been used with someone more interesting.

So true!

ben.gators
07-02-10, 06:57 PM
I figure its a bit like casual dating. You never make money from most relationships. Women are typically money pits. A handful, if you marry up, offer financial gains, but for the most part its a system where you lose. But in the end, did you enjoy any of the experience? If you never had great conversations, great arguments, or great experiences with her, then even if you broke even financially or never got hurt, it was a loss because the time spent could have been used with someone more interesting.

So true!

Bro-Ham
07-02-10, 07:06 PM
An old European car is like a boat. Your happiest days with it are the first day when you're so excited, and the last day when you rush to the bank to cash the check. I do, however, think you should buy the car otherwise you'll never get over your addiction to this self injurious behavior of yours. At some point you'll get burned beyond recognition and hopefully it will sear deep enough to remind you when you're about to cast off into the deep dark abyss of a future injustifiable vehicle purchase. So, good luck resisting temptation, I know you want to do it. I'm going to get drunk now and you probably need to do the same so you can be in the right frame of mind when you pull the trigger on your new Benz. :)

Jesda
07-02-10, 10:35 PM
Jesda, you impulsive douchenozzle. Put down the bong and get off the computer and go do something creative with your life other than buying shitbox cars.

F

:rofl:

Well, there's good news. I haven't received an e-mail or a phone call so its either sold or he's having trouble discerning me from a Nigerian scammer.

EChas3
07-02-10, 11:26 PM
OK. Do I shoehorn in a 289 or a 283?

Peace!

orconn
07-03-10, 12:24 AM
^^^ As a matter of fact it there was a brief fad in Southern California back in the mid-sixties of shoe horning in small block V-8s into 1950's Mercedes 280S sedans. As I said the fad was very brief!

Night Wolf
07-03-10, 01:36 AM
I'm the other fool that finds it apealing... 4spd on the column would be fun!

tho the Benz that has my eye is the 190e - 2.3 16v Cosworth.

Jesda
07-03-10, 01:57 AM
The problem with this Benz, other than the cost of parts, the lack of performance, the anonymous styling, and the potential nightmare that could come from owning it is that there are so many nice cars from 30-50 years ago with more affordable, more widely available parts.

Example:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/1793867717.html

But now that the Saab is more or less "done" with anything major, I want something else to dick around with.

77CDV
07-03-10, 02:06 AM
A mid-50s Plymouth six...the ultimate in cheap wheels. Assuming it isn't a rustbucket, the upside is that it would be dead reliable.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-03-10, 02:11 AM
Gotta get a '58 if you're going Plymouth.

http://www.plymouthcentral.com/files/Christine01.jpg

b-b-b-bad to the bone.

Stingroo
07-03-10, 02:12 AM
Adopt my wagon as a pet project... Only, you know. I drive it. :lol:

Hmm... you know you could use a wagon to deliver books. :thumbsup:

77CDV
07-03-10, 02:15 AM
Gotta get a '58 if you're going Plymouth.

http://www.plymouthcentral.com/files/Christine01.jpg

b-b-b-bad to the bone.

$$$$

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-03-10, 02:16 AM
Yeah, but it's SOOOO worth it, atleast to me.