: How does the turbo gauge work?

KevinOpp
07-01-10, 11:48 PM
i understand the theory behind turbochargers and how they feedback upon the engine to rev it up with exhaust gasses. my salesman told me that the turbo basically is only coming into play when the needle is just at the redline position, and certainly, that's when the space shuttle thrust is felt!! but when it is sort of middling around as one is normally acelerating---does it contribute at all then, or is it only "precharging" for if/when the pedal is stomped and then goes to redline?

PJ1520
07-02-10, 10:23 AM
Read this:

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Turbocharger#Pressure_increase

TheCaptain
07-02-10, 01:48 PM
It's rather simple really, a TurboCharger acts as a seperate helper to the engine. You step on the gas, exhaust is released, turbo spools, forces more air to go into the engine to go faster.
Little gas = little boost (not noticeable, low and middle of guage)
lots gas = full boost (once engine is spun up and boost is flowing, high end of guage, major torque/kick in the pants)

For the record, TurboChargers are exhaust driven (usually involving lag because they wait till the engine is moving), and SuperChargers use engine speed (by way of belt) to force more air into the engine.
Just so you know, and their is no confusion on the topic. (there usually is... :o)

smiley47
07-02-10, 02:19 PM
I believe the SRX turbo is relatively small by turbo standards which results in a smoother application of the power. The turbo "lag" is much less noticeable than on bigger turbo's.
Works very well in this vehicle but always remember:

" mo power is mo betta".

KevinOpp
07-02-10, 06:20 PM
all right, i got all that, but as i stated, i'm already familiar with turbocharger theory. what i am unsure about is that my salesman said "there is no input from the turbo at all unless it's redlining". so i ask again, is that true, and the gauge is just showing how close to redlining the gasses are, or was he wrong, and it actually is helping the engine, albeit only a little bit?

TheCaptain
07-02-10, 10:31 PM
Your assumption is correct, and the salesman knows not what he is talking about, on this subject at least...

smiley47
07-02-10, 10:47 PM
all right, i got all that, but as i stated, i'm already familiar with turbocharger theory. what i am unsure about is that my salesman said "there is no input from the turbo at all unless it's redlining". so i ask again, is that true, and the gauge is just showing how close to redlining the gasses are, or was he wrong, and it actually is helping the engine, albeit only a little bit?

Is that the same salesman that talked you out of the $250 chrome tech wheels because the aluminum wheels "matched" the roof rack?

KevinOpp
07-03-10, 12:06 AM
hah!! sure is!!----great call!!! :bouncy:

PJ1520
07-03-10, 01:29 AM
There are few things more enjoyable than coming up against a salesman who knows less than you do about his product. Even better when you know how to operate the gadgets, know the options, and know the specs better than he does. Embarrassment on his side of the table helps move the negotiations along in the right direction. Knowlege is power. if you know the competitive vehicles, even better.

KevinOpp
07-03-10, 11:46 AM
There are few things more enjoyable than coming up against a salesman who knows less than you do about his product. Even better when you know how to operate the gadgets, know the options, and know the specs better than he does. Embarrassment on his side of the table helps move the negotiations along in the right direction. Knowlege is power. if you know the competitive vehicles, even better.
i have to be fair----

--their dealership had just absorbed the Cadillac dealership 1 mile down the road 10 days prior, literally. so everything he knew about Caddy he learned in aboout a week. in fact, he was intentionally driving different models home for a few nights at a time to get a feel for them, and was pretty nuts about the SRX (of course!).

--this was my first time buying a car through the internet, and he was amazing. i sent out an email saying who i was, and what i wanted down to the letter. out of 6 replies, he took me by far the most seriously, and offered me a pretty unbelieavable price. test drove at his lot where they had several cars. left a deposit, my car arrived 2 days later. he was honest.

--and finally, if i told y'all what i actually paid for the car, i would probably be chased off of this forum!! let's just say that with competitive internet pricing, it was my first GM car, and the fact that my wife's grandfather chose to work for GM 40 years ago, we walked away with a prety stunning deal. he was fair!

but i have (ahem) sent him a few FRIENDLY emails regarding Martensitic steel, turbochargers and the like. he says he appreciates the info.

TheCaptain
07-03-10, 11:47 AM

THAT is for sure! :highfive:
:D

KevinOpp
07-03-10, 12:06 PM
ALL RIGHT!!!

i bow to peer pressure!!!

i..........ENJOYED KNOWING MORE THAN HE DID!!!

there! i said it!

i feel much better now..........:o

PJ1520
07-03-10, 03:07 PM
Kevin.....did you buy close to a month end? They get pretty motivated when they are missing quota. It is my understanding June sales numbers fell off quite a bit for a lot of brands.

KevinOpp
07-03-10, 04:33 PM
mmmm, i guess not. it was at the beginning of June.

smiley47
07-05-10, 11:37 AM
i understand the theory behind turbochargers and how they feedback upon the engine to rev it up with exhaust gasses. my salesman told me that the turbo basically is only coming into play when the needle is just at the redline position, and certainly, that's when the space shuttle thrust is felt!! but when it is sort of middling around as one is normally acelerating---does it contribute at all then, or is it only "precharging" for if/when the pedal is stomped and then goes to redline?

Yesterday I watched the turbo guage under full acceleration. The needle goes only as far as the left edge of the redline area but not into the red area. I got out of it around 100mph and the needle was never in the red.

Have any other turbo owners seen the needle actually go into the red area?

KevinOpp
07-05-10, 12:51 PM
Yesterday I watched the turbo guage under full acceleration. The needle goes only as far as the left edge of the redline area but not into the red area. I got out of it around 100mph and the needle was never in the red.

Have any other turbo owners seen the needle actually go into the red area?
i haven't. in my original post up on the top, i did specifically say, "when the needle is just at the redline position", which i have been calling "redlining".

but no, my needle has never gone past that.