: New article on AOL Autos

roarkb
07-01-10, 11:45 PM
AOL has a new article on the V.

http://autos.aol.com/article/2010-cadillac-cts-v/

You also have the opportunity to vote for the V vs BMW and Mercedes...

Enjoy.

readyact
07-02-10, 12:04 AM
Thanks for posting the link.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
07-02-10, 12:11 AM
I'm just posting to say I'm surprised AOL still exists.

baabootoo
07-02-10, 12:59 AM
Nice writeup.

Caddyscat
07-02-10, 11:55 AM
The video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVI4ftKRIIQ

neuronbob
07-02-10, 12:04 PM
Nice article and I posted a response as well.

+1 to realizing that AOL still exists! My almost 20-year-old AOL username and pass still work!

Edit:
My favorite line:
"Coming to market a year after the much-lauded 2008 CTS, the V model is Cadillac’s image car, its fist-pumping, patriotic reply to the snobs."

All I can say to that is, "heck yeah" (as I pump my fist in the air). :D

FSTCADY
07-02-10, 03:37 PM
Good article overall for the V, but the closing paragraph is wierd. If you have to ask yourself why it is important for the CTS-V to be 3 tenths faster than an M5 you shouldn't be writing car review articles. Get a job reviewing coffee makers for Good Housekeeping magazine. :)

mugatu22
07-02-10, 05:18 PM
I think it's a balanced article from someone who realizes that more "non forum" enthusiasts read auto blogs than die-hard enthusiasts.

BTW, GM engineers who read this forum--please listen to this guy if you wont' listen to my complaints ;) Apparently I'm not the only one who calls it obsidian trim and feels that the interior has a cheap feel. LOVE THE ENGINE THOUGH!

"The overhead lighting in both the front and rear seats is freakishly cheap looking, with a terrible feel to its plastic pushbuttons. It’s the sort of part that seems like it must be shared with an entry-level Chevy. Similarly unimpressive is the “obsidian black” interior trim, a kind of glossy black that other manufacturers of much less expensive cars have used in a vain effort to class up their cheap interiors. “Piano black” (or whatever other name the marketing department has given this unattractive and easily smudged plastic) is simply this decade’s fake wood grain, and should be banished from real luxury cars."

+1 to that.

JFJr
07-02-10, 08:21 PM
Who has time to take their eyes off the road to obsess over the black trim or interior lighting when they're driving this marvellous high performance car? That's about as important as worrying about cup holders, which have no place in the "V."

roarkb
07-03-10, 12:09 AM
Who has time to take their eyes off the road to obsess over the black trim or interior lighting when they're driving this marvellous high performance car? That's about as important as worrying about cup holders, which have no place in the "V."

Hmmm. That is one more reason to choose an Auto VS Manual. Shifting with a cup in the cupholder is awkward. Therefore, I try to make sure nothing is in the cupholder.

EChas3
07-03-10, 12:45 AM
The last paragraph is AOL through and through.

Does it have the creature comforts like ACC, HUD, Automatic Hi-beams, Remote Start etc. like the STS?

How about some of the even newer technology like Infinity?

Cadillac still needs a flagship. A truely decadent car within reach of the less than wealthy.

mugatu22
07-03-10, 03:24 AM

Ugh. This take is one I can't understand, and yet it's the most popular defense for the cheap interior. You buy the entire car, not just the steering wheel. I like cup holders, and I like trim that doesn't look like it came out of a 99-cent store. It's my hope GM will upgrade the trim, that's all. I love the engine too.

sybersport
07-03-10, 01:09 PM
Ugh. This take is one I can't understand, and yet it's the most popular defense for the cheap interior. You buy the entire car, not just the steering wheel. I like cup holders, and I like trim that doesn't look like it came out of a 99-cent store. It's my hope GM will upgrade the trim, that's all. I love the engine too.

I can personally look past the trim in general, but one thing that bothered me was seeing how easily the black piano gloss finish could be scratched. In fact, a number of the V's I test drove still had the plastic on the center console, which was arguably left there so someone wouldn't scratch it before the car was sold.

For those V's that did not have the plastic still on, every single one of them had some large / noticeable scratches.

Caddyscat
07-03-10, 09:30 PM
I Liked the way the gloss black looked, maybe I have cheap taste. I was quite disappointed at how quickly it scratched. I REALLY like the way the carbon fiber looked on the RS4 since it resembled the CF blades and frames on my model helis.

Like Mugatu said, it's an unbiased review. Even though I think the benz and bimmer interior lack personality, especially the center stacks in both. I took my wife to go pick out her car, we visited everything and she hated the EURO interiors. She loved the C63 exterior but said the interior was too generic. She fell in love with the XF-R and I must say it takes the cake as well as far as styling inside and out.

On a side note, yesterday my beloved V was rear-ended @20 mph, right after I had washed it. To my surprise, only the bumper cover and the bumper were damaged. Pretty square hit, the spare tire bay wasn't even crumpled or anything. It must've sounded worse than it was. Now I understand why some people buy a car based on it's safety rating as well, accidents happen to everyone and it's best to be prepared for the idiot who isn't paying attention. There's a lot of engineering going on in our cars that most of us aren't aware of nor will ever be. I'm pretty impressed with the strength of our cars and glad everyone's okay.