: '84 DeVille won't start, Fuel Module?

zimdars84
07-01-10, 03:58 PM
I just got a 1984 DeVille RWD with 75K on it. I had a '86 Fleetwood with 84K and the olds 307 in pristine condition. But my roommate back then wrecked it and was no coming back.:crying2:

Anyways, my '84 has the unliked HT4100. This 4.1 isnít the best engine but normally it's due to the overheating and power issues. My issue is mine won't even start. I'm not familiar with these engines and their odd injection system. I had two mechanics check it out. I changed the distributor and wires along with the plugs. So now it isn't that I'm thinking maybe the ignition fuse the use or maybe a fuel module. I'm totally lost on the car but just want it to start. It turns but seems to not have a spark. Any suggestions?

I'll add a youtube video of it shortly.

csbuckn
07-01-10, 06:08 PM
Can you see fuel coming out of the injectors when you crank it over? You can check the distributed lead wire for power with the ignition in the on position.

zimdars84
07-01-10, 07:49 PM
im gettin power to the distributor. Cadillac dealership said somethig about a fuel module. other them the module in a fuel pump itself im not getting it. checked all lines and connections. nothing.

csbuckn
07-01-10, 11:06 PM
So is there fuel coming out of the injectors when you crank it? I don't know anything about the fuel mod. What about power to the injectors or pump? Idk

carnut
07-01-10, 11:36 PM
With the air cleaner off, and a friend cranking engine over, you should see fuel spraying from the 2 injectors. Yes or no? With a plug wire removed from a spark plug and grounded to metal, does a nice blue spark jump, yes or no. With a fuel pressure gauge hooked to the fuel rail fitting is there fuel pressure and what is it? This engine is like any other gas engine. It must have fuel and spark. Did you buy it not running or did it quit. Please do these basic checks before re posting. We are not there, you are.

sven914
07-02-10, 01:34 PM
^While he's checking all that, he should also check the cylinder compression. Without compression, you could have all the fuel and spark in the world and still not have a running engine.

FranH
07-04-10, 12:30 PM
Not an expert but I would put a napkin or tissue under the injectors, turn on and off the ignition a half dozen times without turning the motor over.

If the tissue is wet with gas there is then an electrical problem.

If the tissue is dry, spray some starter fluid in there while someone tries to start it. If it starts and runs while spraying the starter fluid then there is a fuel delivery problem.

If the latter I would replace the fuel filter first, then the (in the tank) fuel pump.