: Anyone changed their T-Stat?

PGA2B
07-01-10, 02:45 PM
I was just checking to see if anyone had changed their thermostat in their V. I was wondering how hard this was going to be to do.:confused:

UPDATE* After looking at it. Shouldn't be too bad. I will have to remove the Air Intake and then 2 bolts and I am home free.

coach123
07-01-10, 03:26 PM
I was going to be I was unsure what type to install. Are the t-stat on the LS engines the same as the ones on our engines?

PGA2B
07-01-10, 05:15 PM
Yes, you can replace it with a Mr. Gasket 6367 for the 160* or 6368 for 180*:thumbsup:

Redxped1
07-01-10, 06:22 PM
lingenfelter makes a stat i found a few on ebay from there auctions
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/176-degree-thermostat-2006-2008-Cadillac-STS-V-XLR-V-/370032589933?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5627a93c6d

coach123
07-01-10, 06:49 PM
So I'm guessing you would need a re-tune in order to get the full benefits of this mod. I wish I went ahead and did this while I had the supercharger apart that way it was already a part of my re-tune. I think Jesse is going to hate me if I ask for another one so soon because he just sent me my re-tune last night :thepan:.

chrisngo
07-01-10, 07:45 PM
Yes, you can replace it with a Mr. Gasket 6367 for the 160* or 6368 for 180*:thumbsup:

Is there any reason to replace the thermostat other than regular maintenance?

Chris

bubba-v
07-01-10, 10:54 PM
yeah let us know how the thermostat change goes, maybe take some pics. I noticed alot of the things that appear easy on the V usually result in half the car being dismantled LOL.
Chris I would normally only replace a thermostat when they become faulty i.e stuck in either the open or closed position.
I guess a better question is how well can our radiator keep up with this lower temp thermostat and how would it affect the rest of the car if you didnt have it tuned for the lower temp.

chrisngo
07-01-10, 11:18 PM
Thanks Bubba. Understood! What is the temp rating for the OEM thermostat?

Chris

CIWS
07-02-10, 09:48 AM
I think the stock one is 190, but don't hold me to that.

PGA2B
07-02-10, 09:50 AM
Is there any reason to replace the thermostat other than regular maintenance?

It is a 2 fold answer.

1. The thermostat will allow the car to run cooler, enhancing the ability to run more ignition timing creating power.

2. Detonation. A cold blooded killer for a SC motor. A cooler T-stat will help fight off the KR monster and let us run more timing. Teamed with colder plugs and that is a very good team. Just do a search on the 09+ CTS-V forums for the simple term "Thermostat" and you will find countless posts about colder T-stats.

With that said a tune will be required to get the most out of a 160* and prevent CEL's. I bet just throwing in a 160* will give you a CEL.

jedhead
07-02-10, 03:19 PM
I inquired my tuner and he stated that if I installed a cooler thermostat a retune would not be needed since the current tune will compensate for the cooler engine. My STS-V is stock except for the Corsa Exhaust and a tune made a huge difference in the way the car drives. No more delay or hesitation when I press the gas pedal, firmer and quicker shifts especially in manual mode.

Bob

TimmyC
07-02-10, 07:16 PM
Standard STS is 186F (90C)

PGA2B
07-02-10, 10:20 PM
Standard STS is 186F (90C)

The STS-V is a 180F;)

So a 6368 would be a factory replacement and the 6367 would be the cooler option. The factory replacement in a Stant is a 14228.

bubba-v
07-03-10, 01:41 AM
"I inquired my tuner and he stated that if I installed a cooler thermostat a retune would not be needed since the current tune will compensate for the cooler engine."

Thats good to know, I am honestly surprised you can get away with out any computer adjustments from 180-160 I figured at a minimum you would have to adjust the fans to come on sooner. Thanks for the info!

STS_Chiller
07-03-10, 10:34 AM
On most cars you pair up the 160ts with maxing out the fan settings. This will only control the minimum temp. 160ts wont fix temp at 160 just the minimum but with more fan should lower temp in traffic, on open road should run cooler without fans on max. In turn any lower temp under hood will help the IAT but may lower MPG a little.

cad08stsv
07-03-10, 10:10 PM
Gentelman,
If you are running a high output SC (ie Stagmirer or D3) I would think a 160
t-stat would be beneficial with of course a ecm tune for same. Is this a correct
assumtion? including all other Meth injection with fans and larger resorvior, as well as a resisded pully etc. Thoughts please ......
Russell

PGA2B
07-04-10, 12:00 AM
Russell,

I suggest you talk to James but I feel it will help. I ran on in my GTP and it helped.

cad08stsv
07-04-10, 11:16 AM
Hi Jamie,
Yes I am talking to him. I am trying to do a little better on the power. I really didn't want to go too radical as then Things require lots of maintance IMHO.
James seems to have what I need and it is in house so it can all be done at
once, and by people who have done Northstars before. Even my guy at
2nd St. Speed is reluctent to deal with a Northstar engine. If it was a CTSV
that would be a difference story. Take care Jamie
Russell

citori01
07-04-10, 08:04 PM
This past week we installed a 160 thermostat and unfortunately it still runs around the temp. I was wandering when the ecu was flashed did they take into consideration. In my thought it should be adjusted in the ecu as far as the starting point for the fans. I will call Lingenfelter on tuesday and find out what all has to be done to go to the 160 t-stat. and report back.
Jason

PSRmark
07-05-10, 12:54 AM
This past week we installed a 160 thermostat and unfortunately it still runs around the temp. I was wandering when the ecu was flashed did they take into consideration. In my thought it should be adjusted in the ecu as far as the starting point for the fans. I will call Lingenfelter on tuesday and find out what all has to be done to go to the 160 t-stat. and report back.
Jason

You will need to adjust the tune to turn the fans on earlier otherwise they will still come on at around 212 deg.

You will also need to adjust the coolant temp threshold to avoid having a code come on for coolant temp below threshold. Basically the car is going to think that the tstat is stuck open.

I advise against changing out the tstat. The tolerances of the engine are designed to run at a specific operating temp with a specific weight of oil.

I expect some to argue over this subject, but it's my belief as a ten year tech specialized in high performance applications. take it for what you will, but I will not argue the point.

just food for thought.

-Mark

bubba-v
07-05-10, 03:11 PM
I agree with you, I would stay stock with the T-stat and wouldnt mess with it unless it was faulty, especially on a N-star motor. Its a touchy topic though for alot of people and people who support lower temp t-stats take it very seriously. Its hard to get mods out of your head when your stuck on them so I wouldnt discourage anyone set on it. I encourage experimentation, Like I said earlier though a simple change on a northstar motor may result in half of the car being dismantled to make it work the way you want it to and for a few extra horses Im not sure its worth it. FWIW the car will go cross country from south florida to southern california hitting 0-60mph in under 5 seconds in 90+degrees and 90%+ humidity all day long with the stock thermostat.

coach123
07-06-10, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the info Mark. We all appreciate you taking the time to comment on our ideas and experimentations.

cadillac94pimpin
07-06-10, 03:15 PM
On my Lt-1 it worked wonders with a new fan command on at a lower set temp programmed in. The fans do run more often and I am sure the fan motor on an STS-V is not cheap. It def kept the temps down but I wouldnt say by 20 deg. 10-15 avg.