: Windshield Wiper Problem

mcgovernmatt
07-01-10, 02:09 PM
I have a problem. My windshield wiper do not work on my 91 Brougham. We tried a new wiper motor, mounted it, and nothing happens. However, the motor is getting power. When you hit the "washer" button, you can hear it click.
So we figured out it must be the switch for the wipers. When I looked online for parts however, I found two separate things. Apparently there is two different parts to the switch.

The switch on the dashboard
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Windshield-Wiper-Switch/1991-Cadillac-Fleetwood-Brougham/_/N-itdc9Z9cip8?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=wiper+switch&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=229317_0_0_
(http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Windshield-Wiper-Switch/1991-Cadillac-Fleetwood-Brougham/_/N-itdc9Z9cip8?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=wiper+switch&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=229317_0_0_)

and a "wiper motor park switch"
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=ECHWS6615_0192537080&An=599001+101991+50010+2010003#

Does anyone know what the difference is, and which one might be making the wipers not work. It's like the switch is not sending a strong enough signal to the motor.

Thanks!!!

outsider
07-01-10, 02:34 PM
I'm not sure which one you'll need but in my 87 I have very bad wiper function. Lots of posts about it on here, seems to be a common problem with these cars.
My switch looks just like the first one you posted.

In 87, they had 2 types. With and without delay. Not sure about 91...so make sure you get the right one if they do have 2 varieties in 91.

And just for the record...replacing the switch did NOT solve the problem in my 87. From what another member said, there's some kind of relay or relay board that needs to be replaced.

Search for "Wonkey wiper controls" I think that's what it was called.

csbuckn
07-01-10, 02:44 PM
Just replace the whole motor and circuit board as a unit and then you won't have to piece together your motor and circuit board. It's usually the circuit board on the wiper motor that goes bad.

mcgovernmatt
07-01-10, 02:49 PM
I've actually tried 3 different motors, none of which actually worked. It's not the motor. .....I do have the switch with wiper delay.

sven914
07-01-10, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't get the Duralast one, unless you want replace it in two months.

Go to Advance Auto get an AC DELCO wiper switch, the part you want is number D6378A. That is for the dash switch with pulse delay.

The park switch tells the motor that the wipers have parked after you have turned the switch off.

sven914
07-01-10, 04:07 PM
:bug: :bug:

:bug: :bug:

mjs182004
07-01-10, 05:07 PM
When mine quit working I tried replacing just the motor thinking it was bad. I ended up replacing the whole thing with this. and it works like brand new. make sure you get the one with a delay.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BOR0/W7982.oap?year=1991&make=Cadillac&model=Brougham&vi=1027280&pt=03297&ppt=C0047

The-Dullahan
07-02-10, 07:16 PM
When mine died out, the switch had nothing to do with it and it was just a relay. Ahh. Good Times.

caddeville89
07-03-10, 05:00 PM
I have become so frustrated with the wiper situation in these cars that I am considering modding my wiper arms to accept a more modern washer pump with wiper arm-mounted nozzles. Not sure what to do about the wiper arms themselves. They are very slack-jawed, and the motor assembly and pump are always giving some trouble.

JamesC
07-04-10, 03:13 PM
Just happened today too... when it's raining! Bleh.

Differently from what I read... mine DO shut off and do not continually run. They DO come on and are not completely dead. This is what I know and what it's doing.

Apparently not long before I bought the car (will be a full year on July 30th) the wiper motor was replaced so it's new... oh and I believe mine is the multiplex pulse system... they go below the hoodline when off or on delay.

Now what is happening to mine specifically: the delay function does work. They wipe fully, go down, wait and then come back up. However occasionally they wipe once or twice (as if not on delay) before going down to "delay" but then go back to usual delay functioning.

Medium and high functions DO NOT work (they use to work however). All the wiper does when I turn it on to medium or high is they rise up, maybe about an inch or two and then go back down and repeat over and over until I turn it off or switch back to delay when the arm will rise up and swipe as it should.

So that's what its doing on me, of course when it's going to be raining for a week according to the forecast. Is it the switch? Relay? Loose wire? Bad wire? I'm not even sure how to replace a relay or its difficulty (never have done it before)... or a switch for that matter.

brougham
07-04-10, 03:27 PM
My problems are always with the pump. Any of those parts on the wiper motor itself- the pump and the circuit board part aren't hard to change and the switch shouldn't be that hard either.

sven914
07-05-10, 01:16 AM
My wipers act funny sometimes (don't turn on, don't turn off, wash when I wipe, wipe when I wash, refuse to pulse, and shut off in MED or HI). February of '09, I replaced the switch because they were not doing anything I said and seemed to have mind of their own. That fixed the problem for a few months, but ever once in a while the switch commands seem to get confused. Most of the time it's something small that occurs every few weeks, such as the washers coming on if I select the "MIST" function, or the "MIST" function coming on instead of the washers (just one sweep with no spray).

I'm quite sure that with all of our cars experiencing similar problems, and throwing parts at the issues never solves it, that there is something messed up with the way the factory ran the wires and they're shorted to one another, or are otherwise receiving interfering signals.

mcgovernmatt
07-05-10, 04:44 PM
OK So I have the new wiper switch, and I'm ready to install it...but unfortunately to get the switch out, I need to take the panel off. The air vent rod (to shut off the vent) has a little chrome tip on it, that won't come off, I can't get to the switch without taking it off.

Does anyone have any prior experience on how to get to the wiper switch, and replace it...I would appreciate it, unfortunately i can't get a sticker for the car without working wipers :)

outsider
07-05-10, 04:53 PM
that air vent switch...the tip is held on with a tiny little allen screw in the bottom.

I almost ruined mine trying to figure it out...

The-Dullahan
07-05-10, 05:44 PM
I almost ruined mine trying to figure it out...

Ditto.

mjs182004
07-06-10, 10:45 AM
Ya the chrome tip uses a very small Allen wrench on the bottom side of it.

sven914
07-06-10, 07:20 PM
OK So I have the new wiper switch, and I'm ready to install it...but unfortunately to get the switch out, I need to take the panel off. The air vent rod (to shut off the vent) has a little chrome tip on it, that won't come off, I can't get to the switch without taking it off.

Does anyone have any prior experience on how to get to the wiper switch, and replace it...I would appreciate it, unfortunately i can't get a sticker for the car without working wipers :)

You don't have to remove the entire trim panel. You just need to remove the screws on the top of the panel. There is one in the air vents, and my service manual said to remove the grate, but you can get to the screw with a thin, long shanked Phillips screw driver. After the screws are removed, you can pull the top of the panel down and hold it down while you remove and install the switch.

mcgovernmatt
07-06-10, 11:04 PM
I finally did get the thing out with an allen wrench..of course after all that the new switch still did not work...All the wires work correctly so the only other thing I can think of is a bad park switch. Would that have anything to do with it. The new switch does the same exact thing the old one does...No wiper movements, and you can hear a click when you press the "Washer" button