: Low Oil Pressure Warning

Psycho_ESV
07-01-10, 12:48 PM
I had my oil changed at Wal-mart over the weekend (Mobile 1 synthetic w/ Fram oil filter). After driving the vehicle for about 30 minutes, I got a "Low Oil Pressure - Turn off engine" warning with the non-stop chimes. When I drive the vehicle, the warning goes away, but once at a stop or idle, the warning comes back. Anybody else experience this?

LeftLane
07-01-10, 01:20 PM
do you have a rough idle?

Psycho_ESV
07-01-10, 03:41 PM
do you have a rough idle?

no rough idle. car runs and idles the same. only when I come to a stop, the warning light and the chimes come on.

Neoex
07-06-10, 01:12 PM
I had my oil changed at Wal-mart over the weekend (Mobile 1 synthetic w/ Fram oil filter). After driving the vehicle for about 30 minutes, I got a "Low Oil Pressure - Turn off engine" warning with the non-stop chimes. When I drive the vehicle, the warning goes away, but once at a stop or idle, the warning comes back. Anybody else experience this?

uh, hello? did you check the oil? is it super-low? do you think that warning is on for no reason, this means your oil pressure is dropping dangerously low, do not drive this car, you could be doing severe engine damage, to me it sounds like its either 3-4 quarts low and its experiencing cavitation at idle or deceleration away from the pump. or a more serious issue, i would notify wal-mart and your dealership right away and have it towed to the dealer.

Gigantor
07-06-10, 01:27 PM
If you take a $80K vehicle to Walmart, you better check
fluid level and stripped oil plug, etc

Walmart????

SouthernCaddy
07-06-10, 07:27 PM
If you take a 80K truck to Wal-mart you better see your Doctor. Some meds are in store for you my friend. :D

hdmech
07-06-10, 07:53 PM
How unfortunate , as mentioned in the other posts you should have it towed to the dealer and make sure you get an oil analysis done and possibly have the oil filter cut open to see if there has been any accelerated wear of your engine. Even if the oil pressure is still within spec. ( after the oil is properly filled to level ) it will be hard to tell how much life has been "robbed" from your engine. This is assuming that the engine still runs ok , proper oil press. etc.If you don't mind please post your findings. I won't comment on taking your vehicle to Wal-Mart , I think you've heard enough.

Ronin
07-06-10, 10:35 PM
My head hurts from slapping my forehead so hard after I first read this post... :nono:

And my neck is stiff from asking myself, repeatedly, why? :helpless:

Let's see what this could be...

Stripped/cross threaded oil drain plug...

and/or

...underfilled/overfilled (which is just as bad, if not worse) oil pan.

Your engine sounds like it's seriously hosed, as will you also be if you don't get it to the dealer soonest. Get a Blackstone oil analysis done (if there's any oil left... :rolleyes: ) to document the engine damage. Then good luck with going after WalMart to pay for the damage; you'll need to make a claim against their general liability/"garage keeper's" policy; and I guarantee it will be a most painful and unpleasant process, that will take an inordinate amount of time and result in you getting gratuitously lowballed, repeatedly. Add in the fact that GM will be more than happy to void your warranty because the damage isn't their fault, and you're left holding a big steaming stinking bag of you know what because you wanted to save a couple of bucks on an oil change...

Jeesh... :thepan:

kars79
07-06-10, 10:46 PM
I had the same thing happen to me not that long ago right after a oil change at the dealer, I checked the oil and oil was fine n called the dealer and may service rep told me that happens sometimes and it's ok to drive till I got time till get it into the service.

I think they said they changed the oil pressure sensor when I picked it up from the service.

hcvone
07-07-10, 08:31 AM
Yea saw a 2008 Escalade and a MB S500 getting their oil changed at Pep Boys last week, not saying there is anything wrong with Pep Boys, there are just much better choices. :helpless:

Psycho_ESV
07-14-10, 08:36 PM
uh, hello? did you check the oil? is it super-low? do you think that warning is on for no reason, this means your oil pressure is dropping dangerously low, do not drive this car, you could be doing severe engine damage, to me it sounds like its either 3-4 quarts low and its experiencing cavitation at idle or deceleration away from the pump. or a more serious issue, i would notify wal-mart and your dealership right away and have it towed to the dealer.

First thing I checked was the oil level. It was where it should be. They added 6 quarts of oil with the oil change. I thought maybe they used a wrong filter causing the flow to be too restrictive. I read on this forum where people had similar issues and the culprit was a bad sensor. I took it in for repair and they took a few days diagnosing the issue. They replaced the oil pump. While on my way to pick up the vehicle, the service manager contacted me and told me they were getting some other error code readings and they would need the vehicle for another day.