: Amazing Find

DopeStar 156
07-01-10, 10:01 AM
1980 Coupe de Ville Le Cabriolet. Found it at the back of a dealer just sitting there for years. The sales manager tells me the car was dumped there years ago by a customer who dropped it off and never picked it up. I'm looking into seeing if I can legally acquire the car. Oh, and it's a real LeCab, I saw the emblem on the glovebox door. Does anyone know how I can go about getting this car? I'm waiting for a call back from the owner of the dealership since they have no contact for the car's owner......

Stingroo
07-01-10, 10:09 AM
That is AWESOME.

I have no insight as to acquiring it, but I wish you the best of luck.

bicentennialcadillac
07-01-10, 10:20 AM
Fantastic. Here's hoping there aren't too many legal hurdles for you to overcome.

What's the disposition of that baby blue '77-'79 RWD in the foreground?

outsider
07-01-10, 10:26 AM
A car that old in maine, you wouldn't need a title...Just a bill of sales from the dealership.

In other states, you may need to get an "Abandoned" title or something similar.
http://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-Title-to-an-Abandoned-Vehicle

mjs182004
07-01-10, 11:58 AM
That is cool! I've never seen a convertible coupe de ville

The-Dullahan
07-01-10, 12:17 PM
Outsider just linked the same page I was checking out. I know someone who once collected an abandoned '67 Mustang off the side of the road someplace, but that was also years ago, so the laws may have changed since then.

CadillacPimpinNOLA
07-01-10, 01:03 PM
if its the dealership, they put a mechanics lean on the car. after 3 attempts for the people to get the car if they dont, then the dealership gets the title and sells the car to cover the money invested in it.

77CDV
07-01-10, 05:08 PM
Ask your state DMV and the dealer what the laws are in NJ regarding abandoned cars and mechanic's lein sales.

DopeStar 156
07-01-10, 11:36 PM
Apparently the car belongs to the son of a former NJ governor. I called the dealer back and left a message with the secretary there. The owner of the dealer's answer was a quick and firm, "No." I wonder if it's worth it to try to contact a former governor to ask if I can buy/take his son's car. Apparently the dealership doesn't know how to get a hold of the owner and has no contact for them......

Also the car in front is a mint green 77 Coupe deVille, dunno much about that one but I'm not really interested in picking up another car. The LeCab is my only interest simply because of how rare and unusual of a car it really is.....

The-Dullahan
07-02-10, 12:07 AM
Hey, it's always worth a shot. The worst that can happen is you either can't get in touch with the owner or you DO get in touch and they also say "No". If you go back, can you get some photos of the Coupe?

77CDV
07-02-10, 02:00 AM
It's worth a shot if you're really interested in the car. The one saving grace about retired politicians is that they usually maintain offices, so getting hold of them is relatively easy.

csbuckn
07-02-10, 02:39 AM
As rare as that car is, I'm not a big fan of how it looks with the top up. I would definitely love to own it though.

DopeStar 156
07-02-10, 09:34 AM
Hey, it's always worth a shot. The worst that can happen is you either can't get in touch with the owner or you DO get in touch and they also say "No". If you go back, can you get some photos of the Coupe?

I already took pics of it, A front quarter and side shot. I'll take them off my phone in a bit. Anyone know anything about a Governor Kain (Cain? Kane? Kaine?) from NJ? All my sleuthing and I can't find anything on this guy. I'm thinking about going back to the dealer and taking a pic of the license plate on the car and having my cop friends run the plates to see who owns it.....

77CDV
07-02-10, 03:31 PM
I think you mean Thomas Kean, who served from 1982 to 1990. He is listed in Wikipedia as living in Bedminster Twp. He has two sons, twins, one of whom is a NJ state senator.

DopeStar 156
07-02-10, 03:51 PM
I think you mean Thomas Kean, who served from 1982 to 1990. He is listed in Wikipedia as living in Bedminster Twp. He has two sons, twins, one of whom is a NJ state senator.

Nice. I'll have to do my sleuthing then....

Here's the other Coupe by the way.....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0630001028.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0630001029.jpg

The-Dullahan
07-02-10, 06:17 PM
Nice. Not really too big on that colour though, but it may look a bit different in person with less lens flare.

creeker
07-02-10, 07:22 PM
A car that old in maine, you wouldn't need a title...Just a bill of sales from the dealership.

In other states, you may need to get an "Abandoned" title or something similar.
http://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-Title-to-an-Abandoned-Vehicle

Yeh, I agree, I think the dealership could claim for back storage fees by
confiscating the car as payment for the storage fees, I'm surprised the dealer doesn't realize that.

77CDV
07-03-10, 01:00 AM
Nice. Not really too big on that colour though, but it may look a bit different in person with less lens flare.

Seafoam Green. Doesn't look any better in person.

DopeStar 156
07-03-10, 01:21 AM
Yeh, I agree, I think the dealership could claim for back storage fees by
confiscating the car as payment for the storage fees, I'm surprised the dealer doesn't realize that.

I think there's some kinda strange untold thing going on with this car or the owner..... Not sure but it seems to be really odd how everyone responds when I try to acquire this car....

77CDV
07-03-10, 01:26 AM
Only way to know for sure is to find out who's the registered owner, contact them directly, and inquire about purchasing the car.

The-Dullahan
07-03-10, 02:32 AM
I think there's some kinda strange untold thing going on with this car or the owner..... Not sure but it seems to be really odd how everyone responds when I try to acquire this car....

Maybe that's the Cadillac they stuffed Hoffa's body into the trunk of, but they accidentally crushed the wrong car.

Stingroo
07-03-10, 09:26 AM
:lol: That's funny.

77CDV
07-03-10, 09:46 PM
Or maybe not. It is NJ after all.

The-Dullahan
07-04-10, 12:35 AM
Or maybe not. It is NJ after all.

EXACTLY.

Had my Great Uncle not been killed by Gotti, I'd ask him, but that's the story that always gets back to me. Hoffa + Cadillac Trunk + Car Crusher. Maybe I can't be trusted, because even if I am part Italian, I am still part Irish and those damned Irish always support Unions.

Up the Mollies!

Yeah, about the other one, I have learned anything called Seafoam Green needs to be avoided unless the Government decided to bring back the 70's and cars are supposed to be black (Unless Sting paints them Orange)

Stingroo
07-04-10, 12:38 AM
Hooray orange!

I wish I had a tan interior, then I could get away with orange in the wagon. Sadly, orange + red = :ack:

Angry Matt
07-04-10, 10:33 PM
Maybe the LeCab was McGreevey's secret rendezvous car.

The-Dullahan
07-05-10, 12:15 AM
Hooray orange!

I wish I had a tan interior, then I could get away with orange in the wagon. Sadly, orange + red = :ack:

get a BLACK leather interior, then go with orange with black detailing. It would be unique, at the least.

robb257731
07-05-10, 02:12 PM
get a BLACK leather interior, then go with orange with black detailing. It would be unique, at the least.

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!!!:histeric:

The-Dullahan
07-05-10, 02:22 PM
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!!!:histeric:

There's nothing wrong with the combination of Orange and Black, especially if it involves Halloween.

Even in Florida they recognize the Irish roots in Halloween by targeting our demographic at the super market. I swear, if you buy a 12-Pack of guinness, you get $2.00 off a Pumpkin.:bonkers:

You're right though, I realized the Halloween thing right after posting it.

Want to see a REALLY weird car? Paint it black and give it and ORANGE leather interior...

Or just paint it "Seafoam Green"

gornati
07-11-10, 11:54 AM
so were you able to pick up the car?

DopeStar 156
07-11-10, 12:46 PM
Not yet. I'm doing a lotta research on the situation to see what my legal options are. So far it looks like the only one who can claim ownership is the dealer and since that's the case I'd have to get real friendly with someone over there.....

Nickatina
07-11-10, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=DopeStar 156;2290821]

1980 Coupe de Ville Le Cabriolet [QUOTE]

:eek: Wow! What a find! :worship: That's my dream car right there :gah: not a Ferrari, not a Rolls, not a Shelby....That right there, is it for me genuine Cabriolet!

Man, how I wish I could come upon something like that :( The equivalent of winning the lottery. Your a lucky guy.

1980coupe
07-12-10, 01:20 AM
1980 Coupe de Ville Le Cabriolet. Found it at the back of a dealer just sitting there for years. The sales manager tells me the car was dumped there years ago by a customer who dropped it off and never picked it up. I'm looking into seeing if I can legally acquire the car. Oh, and it's a real LeCab, I saw the emblem on the glovebox door. Does anyone know how I can go about getting this car? I'm waiting for a call back from the owner of the dealership since they have no contact for the car's owner......

Are you sure it's an 80? This seems to be an 82 by the grille and the emblems on the front turn signals. 80 didn't have this or that style of grille. Good find though! :eek: My Dream car too :worship:

albymangled
07-12-10, 07:57 AM
Well here's the bloke's website...

http://www.tomkean.com/

what ya got to lose...?

ok now I'm off to find out more about the rarity of this cabriolet...

_Charles_
07-12-10, 04:01 PM
UPDATE: I just got off the phone with the owner of this car. He is the second owner, bought it in 1987. He has it at the dealership getting restored (as time and money allows). He's already had the interior fixed leather fixed. At this time, the car is not for sale. I hope this clears things up.

Thanks
Charles

Nickatina
07-12-10, 07:22 PM
UPDATE: I just got off the phone with the owner of this car. He is the second owner, bought it in 1987. He has it at the dealership getting restored (as time and money allows). He's already had the interior fixed leather fixed. At this time, the car is not for sale. I hope this clears things up.

Thanks
Charles

How'd you get a hold of him!???? :suspect:

Is it in fact the former governor's sons car?

The-Dullahan
07-12-10, 07:43 PM

step-brother's sister's mother-in-law's cousin's twin sister twice removed?

_Charles_
07-12-10, 07:47 PM

How did I get ahold of him? research and a few emails. Yes, it belongs to the former governor's son. I think he's friends with the dealership's owner, and the car may not be in the service records. that would explain why sales people don't know the whole story, and the dealership owner quickly replied "NO".

Nickatina
07-12-10, 07:52 PM
How did I get ahold of him? research and a few emails. Yes, it belongs to the former governor's son. I think he's friends with the dealership's owner, and the car may not be in the service records. that would explain why sales people don't know the whole story, and the dealership owner quickly replied "NO".

Did you offer him a cash sum for it, or did you just ask if it was for sale?

_Charles_
07-12-10, 08:00 PM
Did you offer him a cash sum for it, or did you just ask if it was for sale?

The conversation was along the lines of 'he's had it since 1987, second owner, he knows it's rare, has alot of memories, knows the cars full history, got the car when he was about 18 years old, and has never considered selling it.'

What cash sum would you reccomend somebody offer him?

Nickatina
07-12-10, 08:16 PM
The conversation was along the lines of 'he's had it since 1987, second owner, he knows it's rare, has alot of memories, knows the cars full history, got the car when he was about 18 years old, and has never considered selling it.'

What cash sum would you reccomend somebody offer him?

An offer he CAN'T refuse.

Seriously though, those cars don't really have a set value, its worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

I myself would be willing to go as high as 16k cash in hand. That's all I got though, if I had more to offer, I'd offer it.

I don't suppose you'd be willing to pass me along his info, so that I may make that offer, would you?

Nickatina
07-12-10, 08:23 PM
step-brother's sister's mother-in-law's cousin's twin sister twice removed?

:bigroll:

DopeStar 156
07-13-10, 12:54 AM
Are you sure it's an 80? This seems to be an 82 by the grille and the emblems on the front turn signals. 80 didn't have this or that style of grille. Good find though! :eek: My Dream car too :worship:

Yeah, it has the 79 style steering wheel.....

DopeStar 156
07-13-10, 12:59 AM
The conversation was along the lines of 'he's had it since 1987, second owner, he knows it's rare, has alot of memories, knows the cars full history, got the car when he was about 18 years old, and has never considered selling it.

Wow.... I read this and it's the exact same story as me and my Fleetwood. I get it, and I'm officially backing off. I don't wanna interrupt such a thing. I may periodically stop back in to see its progress......

1980coupe
07-13-10, 01:04 AM
Yeah, it has the 79 style steering wheel.....

so i guess the owner swapped out the grille and the front turn lights? Maybe an accident to the original front end? Check the body identification plate that's riveted to the cowl on driver side. says the year in corner.
To bad it's not for sale.

DopeStar 156
07-13-10, 01:07 AM
I don't want anyone else bothering the owner about this car and trying to buy it. The story was posted and he's not interested in selling. The reason I give a shit so much is because the dealer has my name as someone of interest and I don't wanna catch shit for publicizing the car and its owner's identity. As you can see I've already yanked the pictures from my Photobucket account......

Stingroo
07-13-10, 07:06 AM
Dope, I recommend moderating out the posts with the info and locking/deleting the thread, if that's where your interest lies.

DopeStar 156
07-13-10, 10:08 AM
Dope, I recommend moderating out the posts with the info and locking/deleting the thread, if that's where your interest lies.

I'm sure people will just respect my request. I don't think that's necessary at this point.....

brougham
07-13-10, 06:48 PM
Well at least now we know what the story is. I was going to say if it wasn't there for a reason it would have been gone a long time ago. Dealers don't just keep cars around for nothing.

Bro-Ham
07-14-10, 01:17 AM
Dope, What did you expect when you posted the pictures of a tantalizingly rare and desirable Cadillac on a Cadillac forum, told everyone where it was, revealed the intimate details of the ownership, and asked for advice on how to snoop for an angle on how to snatch it up? Anyone with half a curiosity couldn't help themselves to try to get in on the action. I'm sure the dealer who has it, and the owner of the car, have confirmation that the car is in demand and valuable, so the chances of you even having a chance at getting the car at any price have likely evaporated. If you're intending to acquire a unique car in a situation like this then keep it to yourself and do your homework slyly and show us the pictures once you have it in your garage and then you're in the drivers seat to tell the story of how you got it and you can proudly show it off or sell it to the highest bidder. Expecting anything different than what happened after your publicity about your "amazing find" is dopey. :)

Stingroo
07-14-10, 11:00 AM
Oh ho is funny because his name is dope!

[/Portuguese Guy from Family Guy]

The-Dullahan
07-15-10, 12:09 AM
I'm completely on Dopestar's side on this, but I just want to say (Hopefully not angering the Mods)

If people DID keep calling and it DID get back to you in any negative way, it would be a rather epic display of self-ownage. Good show, Old Boy in preserving yourself from that. Good Show.

Seriously, I'd have not called about the car (Because I see no desirability in a white Cadillac with a weird-looking top and...) because you were already in it knee deep with your name out there. Kind of figured that would happen once Charles called in.

Respect your Mods, Boyos.

DopeStar 156
07-15-10, 12:37 AM
Dope, What did you expect when you posted the pictures of a tantalizingly rare and desirable Cadillac on a Cadillac forum, told everyone where it was, revealed the intimate details of the ownership, and asked for advice on how to snoop for an angle on how to snatch it up? Anyone with half a curiosity couldn't help themselves to try to get in on the action. I'm sure the dealer who has it, and the owner of the car, have confirmation that the car is in demand and valuable, so the chances of you even having a chance at getting the car at any price have likely evaporated. If you're intending to acquire a unique car in a situation like this then keep it to yourself and do your homework slyly and show us the pictures once you have it in your garage and then you're in the drivers seat to tell the story of how you got it and you can proudly show it off or sell it to the highest bidder. Expecting anything different than what happened after your publicity about your "amazing find" is dopey. :)

If you think I'm "hoarding" you're way wrong. Plus I never once disclosed the location of the car......

Angry Matt
07-15-10, 06:34 PM
I appreciate the story, it just makes you wonder what else is out there that we don't know about, just sitting and waiting.

water walkin warrior
08-02-10, 05:49 PM
I know there's one in Central Illinois. I saw one on the road this Sunday. I wish I could have gotten a picture, but I was driving and spotted it at the last minute. I was so mesmerized and in awe, I can't even recall what color it was, but it was beautiful.