: the Road Warrior Opening Scene

glyanez
07-01-10, 03:46 AM
So, what is this doohickey that mel turns on and off during the film. Some car enthusiasts tell me thats only a movie effect,..... True?

Cant wait for "Fury Road",.....:cool2:

You fail at embedding ~ Rolex
gP-AbRTYNhI

Stingroo
07-01-10, 10:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/v/gP-AbRTYNhI

CIWS
07-01-10, 11:03 AM
It is supposed to be a supercharger. Under most setups one does not turn the S/C on and off like that. However it is possible to do using a clutch system and you would need a extra air intake that would function while the route for the S/C was disengaged. It has been done. Most important with that movie is the fact that it is a work of fiction, in the "future" after a holocaust. Because of that almost anything is possible.

glyanez
07-01-10, 11:44 AM
Thanks Stingaroo for the fix,............. CIWS, thanks for the input. :bouncy:

V-Eight
07-01-10, 03:38 PM
It is supposed to be a supercharger. Under most setups one does not turn the S/C on and off like that. However it is possible to do using a clutch system and you would need a extra air intake that would function while the route for the S/C was disengaged. It has been done. Most important with that movie is the fact that it is a work of fiction, in the "future" after a holocaust. Because of that almost anything is possible.

^That. I wonder if its possible to do that with turbos though? Just have a switch to activate a bypass and then flip it to route the air through the turbo?

glyanez
07-01-10, 04:48 PM
hmm,..it seems 50/50 between all the car enthusiasts i have asked about it. Maybe a youtube link of someone who actually has one would settle the debate.?

the following is from an enthusiasts who recreated the interceptor, and seems to imply in his description that he has a functional supercharger as in the film,.........which he says was just for show.

YouTube- Mad Max Interceptor with REAL Blower & Scott EFI Idling

the recluse
07-01-10, 09:59 PM
So, what is this doohickey that mel turns on and off during the film.

That "doohickey" is just an electric slider switch. I had one in a 10 ton truck I used to drive. I had the same switch on the shifter column to switch the rear axle from high to low. You would need an electric switch to turn on the S/C anyway...

Eric Kahn
07-01-10, 10:01 PM
If you disconnected a roots blower, the vacuum of the intake would turn it, provided it was a standard blower

the recluse
07-01-10, 10:11 PM
If you disconnected a roots blower, the vacuum of the intake would turn it, provided it was a standard blower

Yeah, the blower wouldn't just stop turning, as that belt runs to the crank. To stop the blower like that, the motor would have to stop...

greencadillacmatt
07-02-10, 04:01 AM
I've always wondered if you could set something up with a bypass and an AC compressor clutch.

And maybe it could work with turbos. I mean you can get electronic cutouts for your exhaust. Why not have those run through turbos when the switch is flipped? :hmm:

Rolex
07-02-10, 07:23 AM
Aussies have some cool cars. I've seen a video somewhere showing a guy that re-created the mad max interceptor car, and the guy was able to make a switch that switched the SC on and off just like the movie. :cool2: