: Pulled the trigger - 2011 V-Sedan :) Questions a/b the "Extras"

sybersport
06-30-10, 09:06 PM
I'm so pumped. Got employee pricing on a 2011 V coupe - white diamond, manual, sunroof, recarro's, wheels. My dream car :) They also gave me a very fair price on my trade.

Won't be delivered until mid-late august, so I have a little bit of a wait...

So my question is regarding the "extras" that the dealership is trying to sell me.

First off, is the "beauty" (or whatever they call it) package. Description and pricing as follows:

Rustproofing (chemical or e-module, customer chooses), undercoating / sound shield, paint sealant, interior protection: $1099

Rustproofing, undercoating: $799

Paint sealant, interior protection: $699

I'm a "car guy" and don't think I need any of this stuff, but maybe I'm wrong? And I have no idea if these prices are way off base.

Next is the extended warranty. Pricing varies, but in general - is it worth it to purchase an extended warranty beyond 4 years? It will cost ~$1500 for a total of 5 years, and it apparently covers a bunch of other stuff the standard warranty does not.

Thoughts / opinions?

caddynoob
06-30-10, 09:27 PM
I live in Ontario Canada. As far as winter goes it is pretty bad up here, lots of salt every winter. Even then I won't get the rust proofing myself. I think it's a waste of money, just my opinion. My observation is that most high-end cars hold up reasonably well here. It is the cheaper economy cars that tends to have problem with rust. Maybe the owner doesn't care about the car as much?

With a car like the CTS-V. I would worry more about the engine, transmission, rear diff, magnetic suspension components and electrical problems in the long run. If the $1500 warranty covers another 5 years on top of the 4 year warranty, then I think it is worth the money. That sounds a bit low actually. But then again, extended warranty can always be purchased later before the factory warranty runs out. They might charge you an admin fee, but hey you save on interest by paying them later.

Congrats on your getting your V.

musclesbmf
06-30-10, 11:22 PM
Do not waste your money... The products are lame and it's just pure profit for the dealer. If the car "needed" these things, it would come that way. A good polish/sealant and a porter cable, and you're good to go.

Mark

translux
06-30-10, 11:26 PM
Do not waste your money... The products are lame and it's just pure profit for the dealer. If the car "needed" these things, it would come that way. A good polish/sealant and a porter cable, and you're good to go.

Mark

+1 I used to work in the same building that did these kinds of optional extras and it is a total scam.

sybersport
07-01-10, 12:02 AM
I live in Ontario Canada. As far as winter goes it is pretty bad up here, lots of salt every winter. Even then I won't get the rust proofing myself. I think it's a waste of money, just my opinion. My observation is that most high-end cars hold up reasonably well here. It is the cheaper economy cars that tends to have problem with rust. Maybe the owner doesn't care about the car as much?

With a car like the CTS-V. I would worry more about the engine, transmission, rear diff, magnetic suspension components and electrical problems in the long run. If the $1500 warranty covers another 5 years on top of the 4 year warranty, then I think it is worth the money. That sounds a bit low actually. But then again, extended warranty can always be purchased later before the factory warranty runs out. They might charge you an admin fee, but hey you save on interest by paying them later.

Congrats on your getting your V.

I got your PM, but apparently I don't have enough posts to respond...

I got a $6600 discount off of MSRP

Also, it's $1500 for one additional year, for a total of 5 years - but they say it adds "more" to the existing warranty.

tblack
07-01-10, 12:31 AM
I'd consider the warranty if you plan on keeping it a while. While the actual protection products are hugely marked up, it's the warranty behind them that is actually worth something.

I'd try to negotiate him down on the warranty and take that as long as it's GM warranty. I've seen it save bundles of money for people. Especially on a $60k+ car with a Nav system and tonnes of other goodies.

digital1021
07-01-10, 12:48 AM
The only warranty I would recommend universally is Wheel/Tire protection. You should be able to get it for around $500US, seeing as one wheel will set you back between $550-790, its worth the money. Additionally, the tires aren't cheep either at about $350-$430 (as I recall). The extended GM warranty generally just extends the basic bumper to bumper warranty, but is handy if you drive more than most. On my 09 V I had purchased the 5yr/100,000mi extended warranty because I was driving well over 20,000miles a year, I believe it was about $2200.

~ Matt

mugatu22
07-01-10, 12:50 AM
Rustproofing (chemical or e-module, customer chooses), undercoating / sound shield, paint sealant, interior protection: $1099

Rustproofing, undercoating: $799

Paint sealant, interior protection: $699

I'm a "car guy" and don't think I need any of this stuff, but maybe I'm wrong? And I have no idea if these prices are way off base.

Thoughts / opinions?

Typical stealership practices...they should be ashamed :hitstick: I hate hearing about dealers who actually pull this crap on people who think they're protecting their car and instead are bleeding them of $1000+.

You don't need ANY of that crap. Take delivery of your car and enjoy it, and tell your stealership to shove the rest of it where the sun don't shine.

If you're a DIY kinda guy, visit Griots Garage and pick up their paint sealant, interior care products & a random orbital polisher. You can practically buy everything they make for $400 and it'll do a better job than the load of junk $1100+ your dealer is trying to offer.

tblack
07-01-10, 01:05 AM
I'd consider the warranty if you plan on keeping it a while. While the actual protection products are hugely marked up, it's the warranty behind them that is actually worth something.

I'd try to negotiate him down on the warranty and take that as long as it's GM warranty. I've seen it save bundles of money for people. Especially on a $60k+ car with a Nav system and tonnes of other goodies.

caddynoob
07-01-10, 01:16 AM
I got your PM, but apparently I don't have enough posts to respond...

I got a $6600 discount off of MSRP

Also, it's $1500 for one additional year, for a total of 5 years - but they say it adds "more" to the existing warranty.

Thanks man.

$1500 for the 5 year warranty is way too much. I wouldn't take it.

aj660
07-01-10, 01:28 AM
I'm so pumped. Got employee pricing on a 2011 V coupe - white diamond, manual, sunroof, recarro's, wheels. My dream car :) They also gave me a very fair price on my trade.

So, you ordered a V-coupe or a V-sedan? Your thread title says "pulled the trigger -2011 V-Sedan" but your post says "got employee pricing on a 2011 V coupe ."

I assume your thread title is correct and you ordered a V-Sedan because I doubt Cadillac would offer employee pricing on V-coupes at this early stage. I also know first hand that Cadillac is not accepting orders for Manual V-coupes.

sybersport
07-01-10, 02:09 AM
Ya, my bad, I got the sedan - the title is correct, the info in the first post is not.

They are offering a lower interest rate on the coupes than they are on the sedans up in Canada - 3.9% coupe, 5.39% sedan. Go figure.

We also have to pay 1.9% on the 2010's

MReiland
07-01-10, 06:47 AM
I would say the only thing that might be worth it is a MajorGuard extended warranty, even that I think you can do any time while your car is still under warranty. The car already comes with a lengthy corrosion protection warranty. I have heard sometimes getting the dealer installed corrosion protection can actually do more damage than good, if they actually start drilling holes into cavities to spray in rustproofing chemicals, you can scotch guard the carpet in the car yourself also. I would just get the car myself and skip all the extras, (I am suprised you didn't get an offer for gap insurance, and death insurance also......)

cbloveday
07-01-10, 06:53 AM
I was not offered any of this by my dealer whom I have a great relationship with. I did buy the service plan and happy about my whole experience.
Save your money for gas and mods.

caddynoob
07-01-10, 06:59 PM
Ya, my bad, I got the sedan - the title is correct, the info in the first post is not.

They are offering a lower interest rate on the coupes than they are on the sedans up in Canada - 3.9% coupe, 5.39% sedan. Go figure.

We also have to pay 1.9% on the 2010's

Didn't realized that you are in Canada?

6600 off on a 2011 is an amazing deal then. I mean they are offering greater discount on the 2010, but it's not possible to find one without the sunroof.

By the way, in Ontario at least I believe that the Green Levy is going away on July 1st because of the introduction of HST. So, I guess that's another $1200+tax saving right there.