: Just got my 2010 V...how many of you actually "broke in" their cars??

LFTW8S
06-30-10, 08:30 PM
Let me know, both ways, how you treated it. Also, what is the magic number of miles when you can start getting in to it.

Thanks

cbloveday
06-30-10, 08:39 PM
Below is the procedure recommended by GM for my 2009, which I followed.

I would strongly suggest reading the manual front to back.

New Vehicle Break-In

Notice: The vehicle does not need an elaborate
break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if
you follow these guidelines:
• Keep your speed at 70 mph (113 km/h) or less for
the first 1,500 miles (2 414km).

• Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast or
slow, for the first 500 miles (805 km). Do not
make full-throttle starts. Avoid downshifting to brake
or slow the vehicle.

• Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles
(322 km) or so. During this time the new brake
linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new
linings can mean premature wear and earlier
replacement. Follow this breaking-in guideline every
time you get new brake linings.

• Do not tow a trailer during break-in. See Towing a
Trailer (CTS-V) on page 4-29 for the trailer towing
capabilities of the vehicle and more information.
Following break-in, engine speed and load can be
gradually increased.

cadigo's
06-30-10, 08:40 PM
My dealer said drive normal for a couple hundred miles then have at it. Mine runs great.

Stevan
06-30-10, 08:50 PM
I varied speed and didn't go over 70 for the first 500 miles. Then I changed the motor and diff fluid. Haven't had *any* issues at all, running strong at 15k miles.

06-30-10, 09:18 PM
I follow break-in recommendations to a "T". I will also wait till 5000 miles before a track day (missed v-day 4 as a result).

SD Detail
06-30-10, 09:25 PM
Good to know for when I get my V... most of my braking is engine braking :D

4DOORZR1
06-30-10, 09:54 PM
Not too hard the 1st 1000 miles and progressively pour it on for another 1000, vary speed as much as possible wears-in everything well IMO....gears, bearing, sliding surfaces need to "break-in" for longest life, least friction, and min noise.

Prof
06-30-10, 10:56 PM
Followed instructions except:

1. Bedded the brakes as I have with all of my performance vehicles (http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm)

2. At 1000 miles I changed all lubricants to Amsoil, then changed the Amsoil at 5000.

Have over 21k now and love it! Drive it like you stole it...after a good break-in.

translux
07-01-10, 12:34 AM
If lighting them up and bouncing off the rev limiter on a daily basis for the first 1000 miles is considered breaking in...
Really In the past I have religiously followed the recommended procedures but just can't help myself with the V
I do wait for the engine temp to stabilize and I plan on a full fluid change shortly.
I do like the advice and theory here http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

snzuloz
07-01-10, 12:50 AM
My philosophy, throw the owners manual in the glove box where it belongs, drive the car as it should be driven, anything but steady speeds, all RANGES, get on it fairly often for short periods of time, easy does it on the hard braking (bed the brakes properly). I have never seen anyone that babied a vehicle that has had any luck with it over the years, they are the ones you see that are constantly getting work done for all stupid reasons down the road. Does anyone believe these are not test run quite hard before they leave the assembly plant? They come equipped with Mobil 1, so i take it the rings are already worn in adequately from new? I know everyone's opinion is always different, i'm glad i got to break mine in the way i like... 2500 km's and trouble free... just my .02$

GMX322V S/C
07-01-10, 03:18 AM
Engine is already broken in for us--although for the manual guys, it's always a bad idea to lug it. Mainly it's the tranny and diff that need to be broken-in properly and brakes bedded as mentioned above.

specld
07-01-10, 03:56 AM
If you see our motors are tested you would faint.
My thoughts after 48 years, Don't DOG at every stop light however when you are on highway don't use the cruse control and every few miles nail it and back it down. the tires are 600 dollars each so lets face it parking lot burnouts are insane unless your loaded as for me drive it from miles one as you will at 200,000 AND 1 Bottom line you either have a loose naturally a little quicker or not you won't find out until you put it in the Dyno THERE ARE NO 2 CARS WITH THE SAME HP, OF THAT I HAAVE PROVEN OVER THE YEARS. MY BROTHER AND I HAVE PURCHASED SEVERAL :duck: CARS OFF THE LOT AND ONE IS ALWAYS QUICKER SOME AS MUCH AS 8%

specld

asabase
07-01-10, 10:28 AM
Engine is already broken in for us--although for the manual guys, it's always a bad idea to lug it. Mainly it's the tranny and diff that need to be broken-in properly and brakes bedded as mentioned above.

Exactly what I was going to say. My only rule is don't jump on it while it is still warming up.

FSTCADY
07-01-10, 01:56 PM
I went through the break in phase and did what everyone above is generally recommending; varied speeds for the first 1000 miles, no cruise, no full throttle starts, etc.

Just curious, why is running at a constant speed during the break-in period bad?

GMX322V S/C
07-01-10, 03:40 PM
I thought the SAE found that piston rings seated better when presented with a wide variety of loads/speeds, etc. Since our engines are broken in at the factory, not sure what this might apply to in our case...

blkCTSv
07-01-10, 04:37 PM
I tried, but couldn't wait! I autocrossed at 750 and have had 6 track days/weekends since. The car is at 4200 miles. I change my fluids after each session. (My fingers are crossed) It still running strong.

IBNR
07-01-10, 04:46 PM
The brake bedding stuff is interesting to me; I've never done that with any other car before (but then I've never had a car with brakes like these). My car has about 2,500 miles on it at this point. Worth it to do the brake bedding process now?

cbloveday
07-01-10, 04:55 PM
I am inclined to say no. I would just do it with the next set of pads.
Do you track your V? If not, they are good now.

fleadh
07-01-10, 05:33 PM
I broke mine in driving it from Akron, OH to the SF Bay area by way of TN, TX, and Las Vegas. :-)

-mike

IBNR
07-01-10, 05:40 PM
Curtis, no, no tracking at this point; just a fun daily-driver street car for me! I'm sure my brakes are fine. :)