: Spark Plug Irritation Extravaganza!

JamesC
06-30-10, 12:31 PM
Yes, you read correctly, bleh.

Ooookay so replacing spark plugs isn't usually too big of a deal, I know this as I helped my dad back on my first car replace the plugs in my '78 Lincoln. Now just last night was our first time working with the plugs on my Caddy. And oh boy! The previous owner must have not quite replace the plugs often, if at all it seems! I didn't replace them when I got it because we checked a few and they didn't seem too bad. Anyway...

Had a "fun" time with them last night let me tell you when I went over to my parents to work, as they have a garage and the room.

First off pretty much all the spark plugs were very tightly in there except maybe two. The tips broke off on two plugs (that was sooo much fun getting those off), the boots got damaged on two other plugs and had to place the wires (sent my mom to get the wires from the auto store), and the over all tight spots and awkward angles of the ratchet on the passenger side didn't help either. Dad and I made sure we put boot grease and that silver anti-corrosive stuff (name slips my mind at the moment) on the other end of the plugs.

By the end of it my hands were practically black and a slight burnt mark on my elbow from a light blub. *sighs* Ahhhh fun times - fun times. But at least everything is put back together and seemingly fine, woo!

outsider
06-30-10, 12:53 PM
good job, man!

When I first got my 87 caddy I didn't know much about cars so I let a shop do a "tune up" on it...big mistake. They call me up and say "we can't get to some of these plugs, do you know how to get to them?" and I was like "I think you can get to them from below the car, just take off the inner fender splash guards"

an hour later they call back..."We can't find the fuel filter on this car. do you know where it is?" and I was like "I think it's infront of the carb, where the fuel line meets the carb" and they were like "It's carbeurated?!"

the car ran worse when I picked it up than it did when I brought it in. For me, that was the wakeup call I needed to do my own mechanic work. As you found out, hard work sometimes with these old boats but well worth it in the end!

JamesC
06-30-10, 01:20 PM
Ha, well thanks!

Just wow... that's all I can saw about your experience, I hope you got everything running fine eventually. *shakes head* And to think how LONG carburetors have been around too. Far longer than fuel injections. Ahh... yet another negative blow to mechanics these days. Darn shame really.

"It's carbureted?!" annnnd did they even look under the hood? Haha. I mean come on it's not like the tops of a carbureted engine and a fuel injection look identical - there are differences. Pretty sad so-called "experts" had to call you for clarifications. Personally on the first call I would have said "Okay stop it. Forget it, I'm taking me car back." and get down there fast as I could before they screwed somethin' up on my Caddy. Ha. I'm very protective of it, heh.

Yet another reason why I do plan on attempting most of my own work on my Caddy.

The-Dullahan
06-30-10, 03:39 PM
Sounds like when I did mine. At least it all worked out and you got a nice battlescar.

sven914
06-30-10, 04:38 PM
Did better than me... I got all of the parts and everything because the car had a bad misfire when I bought it. I managed to replace the 7th, 5th and 3rd plug. I got to numero uno, which wasn't even plugged in and decided against removing the alternator bracket. I took one look at the even side and just said f**k it. The three plugs I took out looked brand new, and once they were all plugged in, the engine ran smoother.

On a side note; I just had a Cadillac dealership replace the plugs, and the tech left number one unplugged... What gives?!

outsider
06-30-10, 04:59 PM
haha I hope you brought it back to them or atleast called to complain!

JamesC
06-30-10, 05:34 PM
Did better than me... I got all of the parts and everything because the car had a bad misfire when I bought it. I managed to replace the 7th, 5th and 3rd plug. I got to numero uno, which wasn't even plugged in and decided against removing the alternator bracket. I took one look at the even side and just said f**k it. The three plugs I took out looked brand new, and once they were all plugged in, the engine ran smoother.

On a side note; I just had a Cadillac dealership replace the plugs, and the tech left number one unplugged... What gives?!

Yeah even side was soooo much "fun", I'd love to do that each and every day! [sarcasm] Haha. Oh yes #1 plug... yeah I decided against removing the bracket as well, had to get creative trying to get to that one... more so when that was one of the plugs that broke on me :banghead:

Left it unplugged, oh my. Haha yeah did you bring it back or complain?

sven914
07-01-10, 12:42 AM
Complaining doesn't do much... I just plugged it in and went on my way. This was the same dealership that denied the engine was carburetted, so my expectations were minimal (I'm actually surprised that none of the wires have melted to the headers yet).

csbuckn
07-01-10, 12:58 AM
You can go in from the wheel well also, just take the tire off and remove the plastic cover. Puts you right in front of the plugs