: GREAT Day at Mosport Yesterday!!

garfin
06-30-10, 11:30 AM
I was very fortunate yesterday to have had the opportunity to participate in GM Canada's "Cadillac Track Experience" on Mosport's Grand Prix Track. (huge thank you to Hawkeye2 for the "heads-up" on this one!!).

GM Canada hosted approx. 25 CTS owners (mostly Vs) on "the big track" and while it was not a full-blown lapping day (most participants had never been on a track before), the day was a fantastic success!

The morning was divided into a short classroom introduction and then 4 different on-track exercises that emphasized car control. application of Cadillac's built-in safety features, exploring the car's acceleration and braking limits :thumbsup:, plus a little on-track practice/coaching on one of the more difficult (and slower) parts of the track. This was all in preparation for the afternoon lapping sessions.

Participants were permitted to bring one guest and I brought older son, Jonah, who has attended 1 track school in my Camaro SS. He did great and by the end of the day he was completely comfortable and confident blasting around the track in the V.

Definitely an incredible treat for me to share the day and the experience with my son and to witness his expanding level of skill and progress on that very difficult track. He had an ear-to-ear "permagrin" all day!

The V performed flawlessly and I am totally blown away by the capabilities of this car! I am so very fortunate to have been able to experience this vehicle in a track environment and begin to get to know its incredible potential!!

I got "yelled on" more than a couple of times for going "too fast" around the track and got my coach in a bit of "hot water" for permitting me to do this! (I've been driving Mosport for 7 years) Although I really couldn't explore the top speed that the V might reach on that track, I was certainly able to assess the car's handling abilities - and they are simply awesome!! I would never have believed that it would be so easy to drive a car this fast! Totally sure-footed, no fuss, no muss, no histrionics - just "get 'er done!"

Kudos to the instructors who were very tuned in to the individual skill levels of the participants and did a great job and to all the folks with GM who were there to make sure everything went smoothly and nobody went hungry!

And thanks to Jon (on this board) for finding a XXL shirt for me at the end of the day! It was a real pleasure meeting you and talking with you!!:thumbsup:

As well, kudos to GM Canada for putting on this day and reaching out to their enthusiasts in a way that I have never witnessed them doing before. I am really hoping that GM Canada will recognize the enthusiastic and appreciative response from the group of CTS owners yesterday and continue down this path. It's stuff like this that builds loyalty and connections.

I will post some pics as soon as my internet provider sees fit to send my high speed modem to the cottage, north of Toronto, where I am still on dialup!

Best regardSS,

Elie

Jon
06-30-10, 12:28 PM
Great meeting you Elie. Wish I had gotten to play too but I was working. Maybe we can hit an Apex day together. :)

Hawkeye2
06-30-10, 12:59 PM
Glad you enjoyed it Elie! My turn is coming!

Jon
06-30-10, 03:15 PM
Glad you enjoyed it Elie! My turn is coming!

I'll see you at TMP! Hopefully the weather will co-operate like it did yesterday. You're going to have a blast! Maybe I'll get to run around for a few laps too. :bouncy:

newcadman
06-30-10, 03:23 PM
While it's great to hear you had such a great time at Mosport flogging GM Canada's CTS-V's (not yours I trust) it's really too bad you hadn't posted/shared the pertinent information prior to the event so that maybe some of other forum members in that geographical area could have perhaps found a way to attend.

garfin
06-30-10, 04:00 PM
While it's great to hear you had such a great time at Mosport flogging GM Canada's CTS-V's (not yours I trust) it's really too bad you hadn't posted/shared the pertinent information prior to the event so that maybe some of other forum members in that geographical area could have perhaps found a way to attend.

I understand exactly where you're coming from on this and it certainly would have been great to have more people able to attend this event. Since this was not classified as a lapping day and inexperienced people were permitted on the track, GM deemed it a requirement that a coach/instructor be in the car with the driver at all times. On this basis, numbers of participants were limited, as well as on the basis that participants were there by invitation.

On the other hand, there were a few "no-shows" and perhaps there could have been a contingency plan to have a waiting list or accept standbys... but that's only my opinion. How numbers and participants were arrived at, I believe, was solely under the jurisdiction of GM Canada and/or their dealer network.

GM Canada did not provide any vehicles for this event, as all participants drove their own cars. There was a 6 cyl. CTS coupe present that participated in some of the lapping. It looked like it was one of the GM CTF cars, which was driven by either a GM employee or a dealer employee - not sure which.

Best regards,

Elie

Hawkeye2
06-30-10, 04:38 PM
It is by invitation only. The dealer network was provided a certain number of invites. I happened to be at the dealership the day the invite arrived and the Service Manager said to me - hey - you interested in this invitation? Bam....I'm in! Just good luck I guess!

newcadman
06-30-10, 06:22 PM
Okay Hawkeye2, it was by invitation only, but the salient point is that with the appropriate sharing/posting of your knowledge of the event any interested parties(forum members) could have at least approached "their" service managers to see what could be done for inclusion in the event.
Why should (almost) everyone have to learn about such an event after the fact?!
Could the matter of learning of the event after the fact been remedied with some thought given to the timely sharing of event information?

Jon
06-30-10, 07:16 PM
Okay Hawkeye2, it was by invitation only, but the salient point is that with the appropriate sharing/posting of your knowledge of the event any interested parties(forum members) could have at least approached "their" service managers to see what could be done for inclusion in the event.
Why should (almost) everyone have to learn about such an event after the fact?!
Could the matter of learning of the event after the fact been remedied with some thought given to the timely sharing of event information?

It was not meant to be a publicly announced event. Talk to your dealership. There is another event happening at a different location happening in July. If they have any passes then you may be in luck.

If you want to get some instruction at Mosport check out ApexDriving.ca. It's only $400 for a day with instruction and lunch.

newcadman
06-30-10, 09:33 PM
Well Jon, I obviously hit a nerve, hence your "effort" to come to your friends' rescue.
You say it was not a "publicly announced event". So does that mean everybody who "learns" about the event or simply has knowledge about such an event is sworn to secrecy and forbidden from sharing any information about an upcoming event? Nice try though!
Too bad you weren't as willing to be as forthcoming with the sharing of your"knowledge" prior to the now passed Mosport event as you now appear with your latest pronouncements.

Teutonaddict
06-30-10, 09:53 PM
C'mon, newcadman, enough of the sour grapes already!

Woulda been nice to know, but you didn't find out til after the fact. Que sera sera.

Every forum member has to make a judgement as to what to post or not. We might get great treatment from a Service Advisor that is advantageous to the vehicle owner (us), but posting same could get them in hot water with their respective employer, so we don't post--despite the fact that others might benefit.

Sounds like this was a great event with limited capacity.

OP, thanks for the write-up. I like that GM Canada is organizing enthusiast-centered events. BMWNA did a 2-day M Driving Experience for initial buyers of the previous-generation M5 at their Spartanburg plant, and my brother and I still wear the perma-grin whenever we think back to that experience!

Hawkeye2
06-30-10, 09:53 PM
I think what Jon is saying, is that if you or anyone else wants a shot, contact your dealer. I said, I was lucky - just happened to be there.

The dealers have the info and can give you the registration #. You must have the invite from the dealer though. So, in a way it's not
really a public announcement, there are just a limited number of places. The next one is July 15, so if you are serious contact your
dealer. You may still have time. BTW, it's not just for V's, its for any CTS owners.

snzuloz
06-30-10, 10:47 PM
I wonder if there's anything planned for Western Canada? probably not, as were not important enough over here!

garfin
07-01-10, 12:20 AM
Well Jon, I obviously hit a nerve, hence your "effort" to come to your friends' rescue.
You say it was not a "publicly announced event". So does that mean everybody who "learns" about the event or simply has knowledge about such an event is sworn to secrecy and forbidden from sharing any information about an upcoming event? Nice try though!
Too bad you weren't as willing to be as forthcoming with the sharing of your"knowledge" prior to the now passed Mosport event as you now appear with your latest pronouncements.

I would interpret Jon's comments as an honest attempt to clarify facts and address your concerns, rather than an attempt to rescue a friend...

I also suspect that you're making quite a leap in your thought process when you speculate that because it was an "invitation only" event, rather than a publicly announced event, that people who had knowledge of the event were sworn to secrecy etc. Simply not an accurate assumption.

I have been fortunate enough in the past to have received an invitation from GM for a completely different occasion (details are totally irrelevant) and it was strongly suggested to me at the time that the invite should not be shared with others, since there was simply no way that the corporation was equipped to extend similar invites to others, nor could they handle requests for same in any numbers, as much as they would have liked to.

I can tell you with all sincerity, that I received no similar direction from anyone with respect to this event. As far as I know, no one else did either. If I should be invited to a private function, I do not feel any compunction to make that invitation a matter of public record.

As far as Jon's suggestion about contacting a dealer about the next event is concerned, I honestly think that what Jon is saying is a very positive reaction towards addressing your concerns.

Best regards,

Elie

thebigjimsho
07-01-10, 01:01 AM
It was not meant to be a publicly announced event. Talk to your dealership. There is another event happening at a different location happening in July. If they have any passes then you may be in luck.

If you want to get some instruction at Mosport check out ApexDriving.ca. It's only $400 for a day with instruction and lunch.
"only"??

dobrenyr
06-23-11, 12:42 PM
Yes, it was a great day. The rain made for an interesting skidpad run ! I'm looking forward to the DVD they will produce.... next time i'll have to bring some duct tape!

Tedboss1
06-23-11, 03:33 PM
dobrenyr see this other thread on the same topic:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/222488-ontario-guys-cadillac-track-experience-back.html

What was your car number?

spind
06-23-11, 07:58 PM
Dobrenyr, thanks for the great day as your guest. Hope GM runs this event again next year so I can return the favor in my coupe!

spind
03-16-12, 10:55 AM
Just found this video of the event on YouTube
http://youtu.be/9VYlnz6OUTQ

Tedboss1
03-16-12, 03:00 PM
You can find info about 2012 driving program at Mosport at this site:
http://www.cadillacdrivertraining.com/index.htm

Jon
03-27-12, 04:05 PM
Registration is open. 1 day remains with 32 spots: http://www.cadillacdrivertraining.com/index.htm

spind
03-27-12, 06:32 PM
Registration is open. 1 day remains with 32 spots: http://www.cadillacdrivertraining.com/index.htm

Got my registration in, 30 spots left.