: Thunder Grey vs. White Diamond; color durability for a daily driver?

sybersport
06-30-10, 11:11 AM
So I know that "what color should I choose" topics are plentiful, but I have a more targeted question that I'm looking to get some input on.

I've owned a few darker colored cars (navy blue) and after a few years, even with regular polishing, they just lose their luster. I have also owned a pewter vehicle, and after 6 years, it still looked (almost) brand new.

With that said - as a daily driver, with all of the potential chips, bumps, dings, dirt, grime etc., what color is more "durable" in the long term? I'm talking 4-5+ years

I do understand the risks associated with the "tri-color" paints, and it's a risk I'm willing to take ;)

Thanks

garfin
06-30-10, 11:18 AM
So I know that "what color should I choose" topics are plentiful, but I have a more targeted question that I'm looking to get some input on.

I've owned a few darker colored cars (navy blue) and after a few years, even with regular polishing, they just lose their luster. I have also owned a pewter vehicle, and after 6 years, it still looked (almost) brand new.

With that said - as a daily driver, with all of the potential chips, bumps, dings, dirt, grime etc., what color is more "durable" in the long term? I'm talking 4-5+ years

I do understand the risks associated with the "tri-color" paints, and it's a risk I'm willing to take ;)

Thanks

As a Thunder Grey owner, I'd venture a guess and suggest that any nicks, chips, scratches would be much more difficult to see on a white car.

Best regards,

Elie

thatcoder
06-30-10, 11:57 AM
i've got a white diamond escalade esv plat, and it is a daily driver for work.

it does a pretty good job of masking any ugly scratches etc.. compared to driving the black V. which needs a wash every 2-3 days to keep it clean.

cmann_97
06-30-10, 08:41 PM
Personally, I think the thunder gray is the best looking of all the offerings. I have the diamond white, am am very happy with it. It is easy to keep clean. Dings and scratches are very hard to see with this color.

SD Detail
06-30-10, 09:32 PM
I professionally detail cars and I will tell you anything moderately dark will show defects easier (obviously) but thunder gray does have a heavy metallic flake which really helps to reduce the look of swirls and marring. Any non metallic dark color is a nightmare.

Personally the thunder gray looks better IMO and if you carry out weekly washes YOURSELF, BY HAND, USING THE 2 BUCKET WASH METHOD... you will be swirl free for a long time assuming you keep the finish layered up with your wax or sealant of choice.

The white is very bright and even with neglect it will be hard to see swirls on it.

What are you using to protect and polish your car now? Some of the modern synthetic sealants (not the kind you buy at Wal Mart) are outstanding in both looks and durability.

Johnsteph10
07-01-10, 12:44 AM
Clear bra.

sybersport
07-01-10, 01:05 AM
I ended up going with the white diamond. I saw the Thunder Grey and while it was nice, in the shade it was a little too green/bluish for me.

Mind you, the white looks a little "yellowish" in the shade, but when the sun hits it, look out... awesome :)

SD Detail
07-01-10, 05:13 PM
I ended up going with the white diamond. I saw the Thunder Grey and while it was nice, in the shade it was a little too green/bluish for me.

Mind you, the white looks a little "yellowish" in the shade, but when the sun hits it, look out... awesome :)

Should be super easy to maintain. For white cars I always go with sealants over waxes, they give a much more wet glassy look. Carnauba waxes are great for a deep glow.

Enjoy it!