: A word about the profanity in posts

heavymetals
06-30-10, 02:45 AM
Guys, I give up.

I am no longer gonna go through every thread and edit out the profanity.

If I find it, I will delete the post.

Gary Wells
06-30-10, 06:11 AM
One of the things that I admired most about this forum is that I can go for days & lots of posts & threads without seeing a single use of profanity and / or vulgarity. It only takes the use of profanity and / or vulgarity on one post or one thread to lower the standards that this forum has & most peeps hold dear.
There are other forums for that type of thing.

AAIIIC
06-30-10, 08:29 AM
If we don't want profanity, why don't we just **** it out like every other forum I go to that doesn't want profanity? It must be a feature of vBulletin, why not use it?

Honestly, I find it a little silly. I think we're all adults here.

Ferny
06-30-10, 02:02 PM
i feel bad for the mods on honda-tech.....its crazy over there..lol

Castro
06-30-10, 06:07 PM
If we don't want profanity, why don't we just **** it out like every other forum I go to
:yeah:

I was surprised when I typed sh*t and it posted, I figured it would auto edit. I've been a member here for years (tho only recently active again) and never noticed profanity. Whatever you guys want, I do like the maturity level here compared to other forums.

heavymetals
06-30-10, 06:20 PM
The "auto edit" has been me.

There are some filters but they don't catch it all.

814V
06-30-10, 08:00 PM
can you type swade yet?

814V
06-30-10, 08:00 PM
guess not..

rand49er
06-30-10, 11:11 PM
Personally, I prefer the absence of profanity. Yeah, we're all adults here ... exactly! We're not 13-year-olds. :cool:

Always thought it made this forum a cut above the others.

CadzillaTN
07-01-10, 12:00 AM
http://www.frontrowking.com/comedians/george%20carlin/george-carlin.jpg

UnsafeAtAnySpd
07-01-10, 12:45 AM
I'm pretty sure I used it both implied in my thread title and then actually in my post that was made shortly before this thread. That said, sorry... :(

deedubb
07-01-10, 12:49 AM
Ahh, Bob Sagat!

I stand in neutral ground on the subject. Do I swear? Yes. Do I care if anyone else swears on a forum? No. It would be different if it were a Miley Cyrus Forum and it was my child reading it. We're all adults but I'll respect the rules and follow them either way.

Carry on. :)

Jbawden
07-01-10, 12:51 AM
It's mind boggling that the mods are reading every post and deleting so called "bad" words. Wow, that's disturbing to me. Let's face it, V1's are being turned over to a new generation of younger and hopefully more open minded folk (I'm 38 and definitely consider myself part of this new generation of owners). Referring to our society in general, I've grown tired of a small group of "offended" individuals dictating the existence of the majority. Part of my definition of an adult is one that is tolerant and compassionate of others views and expressions, "F" bombs included.

thebigjimsho
07-01-10, 01:08 AM
It's mind boggling that the mods are reading every post and deleting so called "bad" words. Wow, that's disturbing to me. Let's face it, V1's are being turned over to a new generation of younger and hopefully more open minded folk (I'm 38 and definitely consider myself part of this new generation of owners). Referring to our society in general, I've grown tired of a small group of "offended" individuals dictating the existence of the majority. Part of my definition of an adult is one that is tolerant and compassionate of others views and expressions, "F" bombs included.
This isn't pandering to special interest groups, it's common courtesy. I don't want swears here myself. And those who prefer to just drop whatever they want whenever they want are generally people I don't want to hang around...

But...if you think your civil rights are being infringed upon, for goodness sakes, have at it. But, to me, that means you're a tool...

wcryan
07-01-10, 01:08 AM
I think all "I crashed my v threads" should be subject to cussing. Especially since ur used to cussing already everytime u look at ur broken car

Oleksakjr
07-01-10, 01:19 AM
&%$# THIS i &%$#'N HATE THIS &%$#'N PLACE ITS FULL OF A BUNCH OF TWO FACED &%$#ERS WHO THINK THEIR &%$# DONT STINK

j/k :duck:

CadzillaTN
07-01-10, 01:29 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2410/2202139347_5e1bd4123e_z.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3395/3342435703_0166b87d63.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/76/197353217_9faa98872e.jpg

heavymetals
07-01-10, 01:39 AM
Ahh, Bob Sagat!

I stand in neutral ground on the subject. Do I swear? Yes. Do I care if anyone else swears on a forum? No. It would be different if it were a Miley Cyrus Forum and it was my child reading it. We're all adults but I'll respect the rules and follow them either way.

Carry on. :)

You don't care because your not a mod.

Point is, this is a forum and not your garage or bathroom and I am tired of editing out the four letter words.

I was just giving a "heads up" so offenders know why their posts disappear.

zero26039
07-01-10, 08:40 AM
Does the forum have detention for offenders? Maybe give them home work and make them edit posts as a punishment.

Jbawden
07-01-10, 11:54 AM
This isn't pandering to special interest groups, it's common courtesy. I don't want swears here myself. And those who prefer to just drop whatever they want whenever they want are generally people I don't want to hang around...

But...if you think your civil rights are being infringed upon, for goodness sakes, have at it. But, to me, that means you're a tool...

With all due respect to your well-earned pompousness, your exaggerating my argument. I'm just saying let's relax the rules a little to better reflex the true nature of the forum members. I think the majority would agree that belligerent & inflammatory posts should be subject to editing or a PM to the offender. If the mods are overwhelmed by the task of editing cuss words, perhaps they've created something of a false reality? I think you might be confusing the primary mission of an automotive forum: it's to bring together people that have a common interest in a particular vehicle to exchange ideas and information. Facebook or Mensa.org it is not. That means you're bringing together people from vastly different back grounds; tools to egocentric a-holes.

heavymetals
07-01-10, 12:51 PM
"FALSE REALITY" or not, if I find any I will no longer edit it out.

The post will be deleted.

Gary Wells
07-01-10, 01:52 PM
With all due respect to your well-earned pompousness, your exaggerating my argument. I'm just saying let's relax the rules a little to better reflex the true nature of the forum members. I think the majority would agree that belligerent & inflammatory posts should be subject to editing or a PM to the offender. If the mods are overwhelmed by the task of editing cuss words, perhaps they've created something of a false reality? I think you might be confusing the primary mission of an automotive forum: it's to bring together people that have a common interest in a particular vehicle to exchange ideas and information. Facebook or Mensa.org it is not. That means you're bringing together people from vastly different back grounds; tools to egocentric a-holes.

Nothing pompous about TBJS, he pretty much just tells it like it is.
Some *forums* edit profanity, some delete the offending post, & some just issue vacations.
Lack of profanity & obscenities on this forum definitely set it on a higher standard and a class act performance compared to those that don't. It can't be that difficult to not put to *print* profanity.

Jbawden
07-01-10, 04:20 PM
Nothing pompous about TBJS, he pretty much just tells it like it is.
Some *forums* edit profanity, some delete the offending post, & some just issue vacations.
Lack of profanity & obscenities on this forum definitely set it on a higher standard and a class act performance compared to those that don't. It can't be that difficult to not put to *print* profanity.

For the record, I don't use profanity on forums and only in the company of close friends otherwise. It's the principal of editing/deleting posts that I am questioning. It's my choice to come here (meaning that I don't have a right to demand free speech) and I will play by the rules (which isn't difficult, Gary). I'm not contributing to the "problem" of profanity and if the mods want to edit/delete posts, then that can be their issue. I just can't get behind the facade of superiority when posts are being edited/deleted to create the illusion. But whatever!

I'm not looking to pick a fight with TBJS. He's been here since the beginning and has contributed plenty to the forum over that time. I became a supporting member to make up for my lack of history here and support a forum that I find helpful and entertaining. That being said, I guess we both "call it like it is".

heavymetals
07-01-10, 04:32 PM
WTF are you posting about. :thepan:

"I just can't get behind the facade of superiority when posts are being edited/deleted to create the illusion."

It has NOTHING TO DO WITH TAKING A SUPERIOR POSITION.

OR

Creating an illusion.

If you can't post without being civil and keeping the language relatively "clean" then I suggest a class in public speaking.

There are plenty of other forums where one can post whatever and use any language they want.

I have just got to the point where I am not gonna edit posts for profanity anymore.

AND,

Maybe the "repeat offenders" will get the message when their 5 paragraph posts go poof.

CTSV_Rob
07-02-10, 12:20 AM
Out of respect for you Heavy I will not cuss in this forum.

How about a little time-out for the repeat offenders?

:banhim2:

thebigjimsho
07-02-10, 01:21 AM

Let me be a little more clear, this isn't political correctness. It's common courtesy. What has changed is that people pander to certain groups and change what had been common sense.

It used to be that foul language was used among buddies and in public wasn't uttered. And there are still plenty of us that would prefer people to be courteous instead of imposing their comfort level among others. It used to not be a "small group" but all of society.

This forum belongs to someone. Rules have been set up. Mods have been asked to police those rules. Profanity is not allowed.

thebigjimsho
07-02-10, 01:22 AM
I'm not looking to pick a fight with TBJS. He's been here since the beginning and has contributed plenty to the forum over that time. I became a supporting member to make up for my lack of history here and support a forum that I find helpful and entertaining. That being said, I guess we both "call it like it is".
Fair enough...

heavymetals
07-02-10, 03:55 AM
I don't have any "super powers" anymore, so I work with what I got.

(same goes for my sex life!) lol

Out of respect for you Heavy I will not cuss in this forum.

How about a little time-out for the repeat offenders?

:banhim2:

thebigjimsho
07-02-10, 07:51 AM
TMI, heavy. TMI...

ewill3rd
07-02-10, 09:09 AM
I'd agree, the use of profanity is the lowest form of communication and using it in this type of environment is just silly.
I use it at work, but I am not happy about it.
I don't use it in front of my kids or in public for one reason that in many places it is illegal. It makes you sound like an idiot too.
I knew a kid in CA that could use the F bomb 8 times in a 3 word sentence. It is tireseome and childish.

I don't mind if people drop a swear word now and then and a forum filter catches it and *'s it out. What I find foolish is using dollar signs and exclamation marks to get swear words in to posts. The extra effort to do something that is clearly defined as unacceptable in the terms of use that everyone agreed to (most without reading) on the way in here is just ignorant.
There is no censorship or moral superiority involved, it is a matter of enforcing the rules that are clearly defined by the owner of this site in language that also states once you post it the text belongs to the operators of this website so they can pretty much do what they want.
Anyone who takes issue with that should begin the complaint process by clicking the "complain" button.
It is a red X in the upper right corner of the screen. :lol:

rand49er
07-02-10, 10:33 AM
Time out as the penalty?

How 'bout e-soap?

Ak Jim
07-03-10, 01:52 AM
All I will say is thanks Heavy for keeping the stuff out of this forum. It is a better place with out it.

Baltimore07V
07-03-10, 02:45 AM
I honestly visit this forum about 3-4 times a day based on the fact that I can get more intelligent information then watching the local news channel. It is a bit refreshing to visit an internet site where I am not bombarded with individuals questioning each other's sexuality while dropping 4 letter curse words (SkullV's VW thread excluded, but hey, its VW thread come'on!).

To the mods, keep up the good work, because you have had a great hand in building this community. I have not gone to visit or meet anyone from any other internet community, with the exception of this one. And its the atmosphere maintained here, and the civil restraint shown by members (and enforced by mods) that made me feel comfortable. It also, in many ways, pushed me into buying a V over an M3/M5 or an Audi.

Cheers to the mods, and keep up the good work.

heavymetals
07-03-10, 02:46 AM
All I will say is thanks Heavy for keeping the stuff out of this forum. It is a better place with out it.

Thanks, but I must tell you the site owner is the one who deserves the credit, and the blame.

I don't get paid, and this is a great forum for information and to pass it on about the V.

I appreciate everyone trying to keep it civil.

For the record, I to have posted inappropriate stuff (but I am creative enough to be able to get around the filters and lets not start making this the weekend contest ok?) and it got deleted.

ronr
07-04-10, 07:30 AM
As one of my college professors once asserted:

"Excessive profanity is a significant indicator of someone’s intellect. Rudimentary language reflects a rudimentary intellect. I am reminded of the old maxim whereby, 'Profanity is the attempt of a lazy and feeble mind to express itself forcefully.'"

rand49er
07-04-10, 09:12 AM
... 'Profanity is the attempt of a lazy and feeble mind to express itself forcefully.' ...Well stated.

darkman
07-04-10, 10:15 AM
I can be abrasive, obnoxious, and insulting without resorting to profanity.

Stepside
07-04-10, 10:46 AM
:cop: Judging a persons intellect by way of language is a huge mistake. Academics usually express themselves well, but they are not always indicative of the inventive mind. Albert Einstein failed his college boards. There are many who have contributed to the development of new technological improvements that may result in profanity when the chemical results of anger impede their ability to express themselves by any other means. :wisdom:
Remember Gentlemen: "We drive Cadillacs, but we have Chevy engines"
:vulcan:

:patriot: Happy Independence Day drink responsibly :coffee:

kevm14
07-04-10, 11:34 AM
'Profanity is the attempt of a lazy and feeble mind to express itself forcefully.'

In many cases this is true, along the same token that people increase their volume for the same reasons. But I associate with highly educated people daily and they, and I, use curse words. Not in every sentence, and not in work-related e-mails. And maybe it's just my dislike of the "urban movement," but I'd MUCH rather see the actual curse word instead of the played-out "ish." Just ridiculous.

Gary Wells
07-04-10, 11:51 AM
I would much rather see neither.

thebigjimsho
07-05-10, 02:28 AM
I would much rather see neither.
agreed.

Stratman
07-05-10, 06:10 PM
WTF are you posting about. :thepan:

So is this cool or are you going to have to edit yourself? Cause we all know what you are saying so how is it not being typed out any better? I understand what the mods are trying to do but lets not make it some issue of intellectual superiority. I have a Mechanical Engineering degree and tend to drop f bombs like it's my job. It is not a reflection of my intelligence or my character. That being said, it's not allowed on the forum. No further debating about it just delete the posts. I think it is unnecessary, occasionally hypocritical and often merely the illusion of class but so be it.

heavymetals
07-05-10, 07:56 PM
My first post starting this thread explains my position on the way I will moderate.

Another moderator may edit the offending word(s) from the post, I will not anymore.

The post will be deleted.

concorso
07-05-10, 08:25 PM
I think it is unnecessary, occasionally hypocritical and often merely the illusion of class but so be it.Saying that Heavy's actions are an illusion to class, is very presumptuous. You are implying that we are pretending to be classy, while we are the opposite in reality.

Illusion or not, its the rules. The mods are tired of dealing with cursing. Im fine with my own nudity, but I have the respect for my neighbours and the law to keep my clothes on in public. The issue here is practically the same.

concorso
07-05-10, 08:36 PM
:cop: Judging a persons intellect by way of language is a huge mistake. Academics usually express themselves well, but they are not always indicative of the inventive mind. Albert Einstein failed his college boards. There are many who have contributed to the development of new technological improvements that may result in profanity when the chemical results of anger impede their ability to express themselves by any other means. :wisdom:
Remember Gentlemen: "We drive Cadillacs, but we have Chevy engines"
:vulcan:

:patriot: Happy Independence Day drink responsibly :coffee: I fully agree that foul language is seldomly an indicator of a persons' level of intelligence. The issue here is one of respect. Its not allowed on this privately owned board. End of argument.

kevm14
07-05-10, 09:58 PM
The issue here is one of respect. Its not allowed on this privately owned board. End of argument.

That I definitely agree with. What I don't agree with is the argument that "well look at the Honda boards, we don't want to be like them, we drive Cadillacs." If that's not the attempt to create the illusion of class, I don't know what is. Talk about nose in the air...

While we're talking about intellect, I have a BSEE and I don't think that my degree, nor my ownership of a Cadillac has ANYTHING to do with my predilection to use curse words. So let's please stop with that argument.

heavymetals
07-05-10, 10:35 PM
I never said that and to credit that quote to me is an error on your part.

The deletion or editing of profanity in the posts is nothing more then an attempt to keep the place clean and not looking like a bathroom wall.

If it makes you uncomfortable, you don't have to ask permission to leave.

That I definitely agree with. What I don't agree with is the argument that "well look at the Honda boards, we don't want to be like them, we drive Cadillacs." If that's not the attempt to create the illusion of class, I don't know what is. Talk about nose in the air...

While we're talking about intellect, I have a BSEE and I don't think that my degree, nor my ownership of a Cadillac has ANYTHING to do with my predilection to use curse words. So let's please stop with that argument.

Stratman
07-06-10, 01:02 AM
Saying that Heavy's actions are an illusion to class, is very presumptuous. You are implying that we are pretending to be classy, while we are the opposite in reality.

Illusion or not, its the rules. The mods are tired of dealing with cursing. Im fine with my own nudity, but I have the respect for my neighbours and the law to keep my clothes on in public. The issue here is practically the same.

I didn't say his actions were an illusion to class. That was directed at the notion that the use of profanity is the domain of low rent low intelligence individuals. The fact that one doesn't curse doesn't make him better than someone who does. That is an illusion. It is an age old opinion I have never agreed with.

And as I also stated in my post, it is the rules so delete the posts. And it isn't even heavy's rule he's just enforcing it. Why would you pick out one part of my post and restate another in a rebuttal. We don't need a debate on the merits of the rule. This is a car forum and I'd rather be talking about cars than "polite" conversation. I did find it funny that the moderator who started a post about deleting posts with profanity rolled out a WTF in a reply to someones comment.

And you hearing a stranger curse is nothing like seeing his/her genitals. They are so far from similar one is actually illegal.

ewill3rd
07-06-10, 07:48 AM
As painfully lame as wtf is, everyone gets it and I read it as "what the freak" so how profane is that?
No one here is claiming intellectual superiority, or superiority of any kind as has been spelled out over and over again it is in conflict with the rules and simple respect for other people.
As well stated before I just personally feel it is the lowest form of communication (including when I do it myself) and while I don't find it offensive I personally think it is unecessary. Sure we all use the words every now and then.
It is always funny to me how people with degrees get so defensive about them.
I guess that is easy to understand since people work hard to earn them, I don't begrudge anyone that. Just seems humerous how it always has to come up.

kevm14
07-06-10, 08:59 AM
I never said that and to credit that quote to me is an error on your part.

The deletion or editing of profanity in the posts is nothing more then an attempt to keep the place clean and not looking like a bathroom wall.

If it makes you uncomfortable, you don't have to ask permission to leave.

I respect the rules of the board, simple as that.

uwood
07-06-10, 02:20 PM
So should I just go ahead and moderate myself? I have been known to express my feelings by using a swear word....as horrible as that is. I didnt realize that this site was run by the Mormons / Apostolic Church.

I will refrain from now on talking about how my car is a non-running pile of poo poo, and I would like to sex the whole 383 project. Of course that is only till I get the friggin back ordered valve spring in from Jegs, since a buddy bent me over, by neglecting to tell me about the darn spring seats when changing the gosh darn springs.

lollygagger8
07-06-10, 03:45 PM
I p00p on this thread

0AT E03
07-06-10, 05:36 PM
I find that unless I am around my fraternity brothers that I rarely drop F bombs. Something about college kids makes me want to be profane.

On the Internet I go the extra mile to not cuss. It's in person when I totally am not paying attention that I inappropriately cuss. This happens I understand until you have children.

concorso
07-06-10, 08:06 PM
I didn't say his actions were an illusion to class. That was directed at the notion that the use of profanity is the domain of low rent low intelligence individuals. The fact that one doesn't curse doesn't make him better than someone who does. That is an illusion. It is an age old opinion I have never agreed with.

And as I also stated in my post, it is the rules so delete the posts. And it isn't even heavy's rule he's just enforcing it. Why would you pick out one part of my post and restate another in a rebuttal. We don't need a debate on the merits of the rule. This is a car forum and I'd rather be talking about cars than "polite" conversation. I did find it funny that the moderator who started a post about deleting posts with profanity rolled out a WTF in a reply to someones comment.

And you hearing a stranger curse is nothing like seeing his/her genitals. They are so far from similar one is actually illegal.If you didnt want to debate the issue(the rules, or the relationship between profanity/intelligence), you would never have commented. You cant choose which debates happen on a public forum. I picked out one part of your post because it was the only part I wanted to comment on. That lead to me misinterpreting your comment...my bad.

Yes, you are correct that hearing a stranger curse is generally less offensive than seeing the stranger naked. The 2 offenses are not similar in this respect. Where they are similar, tho, is how they are ruled on by the authorities. Both will get you in trouble relative to the enviroment they ocurr in. By the way, there are a few places in N.America where cursing is illegal and nudity is legal (not neccessarily in the same place).

Im all for fighting injustice and discrimination, when it is extremely offensive and life altering. I just dont see this being one of those times. This is such a minor inconvenience...

concorso
07-06-10, 08:29 PM

While we're talking about intellect, I have a BSEE and I don't think that my degree, nor my ownership of a Cadillac has ANYTHING to do with my predilection to use curse words. So let's please stop with that argument.I dont think any one is perpetrating that argument. Other then that, I can agree with everything you said.

heavymetals
08-10-10, 12:31 AM
If any of you are wondering where your post went, CLEAN UP YOUR LANGUAGE.

JimmyH
08-14-10, 04:34 PM
This is the first time I read this thread. I wanted to add another factor. The rules of no profanity go beyond simple matters of whether or not it is immature or offensive. Yahoo google et al will stunt our search rankings the more profanity they find here.