: Aftermarket stereo in your ride?

water walkin warrior
06-29-10, 03:17 PM
I'm considering putting an aftermarket head unit in my Bro and wondered if you guys are running the factory or aftermarket in yours. I love the look and have both the wood grain covers for the knobs, but I'm not real pleased with the sound as of late. The back sounds terrible and not as loud as the front. I was also kind of thinking about leaving the factory stereo in and placing another head unit underneath (where the ash tray is since I don't use it or underneath the ash tray itself). I don't like the way the pop up screens look covering the vents, so I'm definitely not going the dvd player route. What are your thoughts?

Bro-Ham
06-29-10, 03:23 PM
I'm running the original ETR AM/FM stereo in my 79 deVille which looks correct and natural with its chrome and woodgrain accents. It sounds OK. I've heard that replacing the original speakers can make a big difference when running with the original stereo. Good luck! :)

outsider
06-29-10, 03:26 PM
In my '87 I have an aftermarket head unit in there and I can tell you that the built in amp in aftermarket units make the stock speakers sound better.

They also provide more functionality (CD...Aux plug...better tuning options). They may not look as "classic" but you have to choose what's more important to you. Looks or Functionality.

In my '95 I still have the stock head unit (AM/FM + Tape) and had to dig out my old tape adapter for my trip up north next weekend because there are no radio stations worth listening to up there...Makes me wish I had time and money to put in an aftermarket unit but with my '69 project eating up my time and money it'll have to wait :)

Stingroo
06-29-10, 03:46 PM
I have an aftermarket radio in the wagon. In fact, here it is:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/roo09511/Caprice%20Awww%20yeeeah/capriceradio.jpg

water walkin warrior
06-29-10, 04:43 PM
I was thinking about going with JVC because of the capability to match the colors of the Heating/AC display. It also has a little chrome.
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/products/2009/05/105/p105KDHDR50-f_mt2.jpeg
This is the one I'd really love...I think it'd look sweet.
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/scale/340/342/products/20090/105/x105KDAVX77-f_dg.jpeg

Stingroo
06-29-10, 05:35 PM
That second radio I hate. The new trend with everything-on-the-touchscreen annoys me endlessly. Bleh.

My Alpine HU's display is now red (that photo was from before I bought the car).

MudAnt
06-29-10, 09:46 PM
I'm planning on getting one of those Retrosound radios soon, and getting aftermarket speakers, amps and a sub a few years from now.

csbuckn
06-29-10, 10:46 PM
I rock Pioneer head units. Alpines are nice too but thats about it for me. Sonys have decent crossovers but I dont like the amp in the headunits.

Stingroo
06-29-10, 11:09 PM
I can't stand ANYTHING Sony makes for car audio. It's horrible.

I'm a firm believer in Pioneer head units, but the Alpine one came with the wagon, and I love love love the USB port. I want to find a USB CD changer (if they make such a device) and mount it in my glovebox.

AElayyat
06-29-10, 11:34 PM
I'm considering putting an aftermarket head unit in my Bro and wondered if you guys are running the factory or aftermarket in yours. I love the look and have both the wood grain covers for the knobs, but I'm not real pleased with the sound as of late. The back sounds terrible and not as loud as the front. I was also kind of thinking about leaving the factory stereo in and placing another head unit underneath (where the ash tray is since I don't use it or underneath the ash tray itself). I don't like the way the pop up screens look covering the vents, so I'm definitely not going the dvd player route. What are your thoughts?

Yup go aftermarket. Those stock caddy radios & speakers sound like shit! I got Pioneer headunits & 3 way speakers in both of my Caddy's & the sound is so much better.

77CDV
06-30-10, 02:42 AM
Both the '69 and the '77 retain their factory radios, although the '69 has been upgraded from its original AM/FM mono to a 1969 Cadillac AM/FM stereo unit. I'm considering installing a second hidden unit in the '69 to increase functionality, but I'd never alter the dash in either car for the sake of a new radio.

The-Dullahan
06-30-10, 03:33 AM
I can't stand ANYTHING Sony makes for car audio. It's horrible.

I'm a firm believer in Pioneer head units, but the Alpine one came with the wagon, and I love love love the USB port. I want to find a USB CD changer (if they make such a device) and mount it in my glovebox.

Can't you just put an external hardrive onto it with like 80 Gigabytes (Or some other number. I don't know what a LOT of computer data is, but 80 gigabytes sounds like it should be a big number)

I have an alpine myself, mainly out of the fact that even with all it's fancy features, I was able to purchase it and make Best Buy owe ME $10.

For what it's worth, anything that makes somebody pay me to buy it is worth it.

It actually looks nice with my car, though this may be because all the lighting in my car is red and so are the lights for the head unit itself. It was done back when I had no knowledge of cars whatsoever and thusly, I had Best Buy do it (Still owed me $10) it took HOURS...I got there in the early afternoon, maybe even at noon itself and didn't leave until well into the evening after the sun had set long ago. The stupid rookie installer didn't help, neither did the fact that every employee was permitted to come and squat and pose for photos with my car, to my endless annoyance.

That head unit looks nice, Warrior, but that touchscreen one? REALLY?

tbcaddy18
06-30-10, 03:39 AM
...not intending to jack the thread, but I've been wondering if it's possible (or even worth while, or if it even makes sense) to hook up the original receiver in my 86 FWB to a new external amplifier??

..I'm a newb when it comes to stereo systems, but if I can keep my original receiver and make my speakers sound great through another amplifier hooked up to it (if that setup is even possible) I'd rather do that.

Right now I have both POLK Audio speakers for the front dash and rear deck, and they sound great when bumped up (but not too loud or it gets distorted in the rear), but they suck when at regular/low volumes with not much clarity or bass.

...I'm interested also in adding an extra pair to my front doors...

Stingroo
06-30-10, 09:48 AM
Can't you just put an external hardrive onto it with like 80 Gigabytes (Or some other number. I don't know what a LOT of computer data is, but 80 gigabytes sounds like it should be a big number)

I have an alpine myself, mainly out of the fact that even with all it's fancy features, I was able to purchase it and make Best Buy owe ME $10.

For what it's worth, anything that makes somebody pay me to buy it is worth it.

It actually looks nice with my car, though this may be because all the lighting in my car is red and so are the lights for the head unit itself. It was done back when I had no knowledge of cars whatsoever and thusly, I had Best Buy do it (Still owed me $10) it took HOURS...I got there in the early afternoon, maybe even at noon itself and didn't leave until well into the evening after the sun had set long ago. The stupid rookie installer didn't help, neither did the fact that every employee was permitted to come and squat and pose for photos with my car, to my endless annoyance.

That head unit looks nice, Warrior, but that touchscreen one? REALLY?

I could mount a harddrive in my dash, as that's similar to what I have now (an 8gb flash drive that lives there). The reason I want the CD changer is because dad has a lot of nice CD's that I like and such. I could copy them all, I suppose, but that's a lot of work that I'm not really fond of doing. :lol:

water walkin warrior
06-30-10, 10:43 AM
...not intending to jack the thread, but I've been wondering if it's possible (or even worth while, or if it even makes sense) to hook up the original receiver in my 86 FWB to a new external amplifier??

..I'm a newb when it comes to stereo systems, but if I can keep my original receiver and make my speakers sound great through another amplifier hooked up to it (if that setup is even possible) I'd rather do that.

Right now I have both POLK Audio speakers for the front dash and rear deck, and they sound great when bumped up (but not too loud or it gets distorted in the rear), but they suck when at regular/low volumes with not much clarity or bass.

...I'm interested also in adding an extra pair to my front doors...

You can add an amp to the factory system. Here's an article on Crutchfield. I believe you can even find cheaper sound processors at places like (gulp) Walmart. They're probably not the best though.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IDEt5DpsVNH/learn/learningcenter/factory/system_upgrades.html?page=3

Oh yeah, and there's not a chance I'd get the touch screen in reality. It's $599. Not worth it, although it has motion sensors that it automatically comes to life if you place your hand in front of it. Cool technology. I'll find me a nice affordable head unit though instead.

outsider
06-30-10, 11:11 AM
I want to get a head unit with GPS built in for my 95 caddy. I did find one but it was a double din and I believe the caddy only has a 1.5 din??

Anyone have any ideas? :D

water walkin warrior
06-30-10, 11:14 AM
Yep, at least mine is 1.5 din. They don't make them anymore, although I saw somewhere that Alpine had one. The best way to see if it would fit is go to Crutchfield.com and see what fits your car. If it doesn't fit, you could always do a modification of some kind.

outsider
06-30-10, 11:22 AM
yeah, I was hoping to avoid modification. I'd definitely need to buy an extra dash kit to modify so if I mess it up I'd still have the original to go back to :)

Stingroo
06-30-10, 12:02 PM
No Outsider. The 93-96 FWB is double din, no matter what Crutchfield tries to tell you. :thumbsup:

longo
06-30-10, 12:09 PM
I put that same JVC head unit in my 92 deville. Great sound and changing the color to match cars instruments is cool. Controls take a bit of getting used to but overall very nice bang for your buck unit. I also have the 1.5 din pioneer head unit in my 87 brougham which l think looks nice cause of no dash kit needed but no one makes a 1.5 anymore. I was looking for one for the deville but had to settle on standard din size.

water walkin warrior
06-30-10, 12:18 PM
Alpine 1.5 Din from about 4 or 5 years ago. Discontinued now unless you can find one used.
http://www.savinglots.com/pimages/CDAD857.jpg
Jensen 1.5 Din (not sure if this is still available at walmart or not)
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/04/32/58/30/0004325830423_500X500.jpg

water walkin warrior
06-30-10, 12:38 PM
1.5 din Alpine 7998. This was $800 when it came out 5 or 6 years ago, maybe earlier. Very nice unit though. Oh man I wish I could afford to get it right now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-CDA-7998-CD-MP3-Dash-Receiver-/200488404443?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item2eae0a45db#ht_500wt_1154
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/products/2002/500/h500cda7998-fp.jpg

outsider
06-30-10, 12:45 PM
No Outsider. The 93-96 FWB is double din, no matter what Crutchfield tries to tell you. :thumbsup:

FOR REAL!?! :eek:

Can anyone confirm this?

I did find some nice 1 din DVD/GPS combos. some with 3.5 inch screens and some with 7 inch slide out screens...but if it's double din I can just get a double din :O

Stingroo
06-30-10, 01:19 PM
I'm 99.99999% sure. Go to any shop and check it out. Or, even just measure it. :thumbsup: 4 inches tall, it should be.

csbuckn
06-30-10, 03:03 PM
I think Sting's right. Its been said that Crutchfield is wrong.

Stingroo
06-30-10, 03:09 PM
Well when I had mine I was casually browsing stereos, and I asked TheFleetwoodGuy about it and he said double DIN. Crutchfield said 1.5, but when I looked at it, it looked bigger than what was in our Olds 88, and that was 1.5.

outsider
06-30-10, 03:10 PM
I'll have to check when I get out of work! I'll report my findings for everyone ;)

pompste
07-01-10, 04:57 AM
I was thinking about going with JVC because of the capability to match the colors of the Heating/AC display. It also has a little chrome.
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/products/2009/05/105/p105KDHDR50-f_mt2.jpeg
This is the one I'd really love...I think it'd look sweet.
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/scale/340/342/products/20090/105/x105KDAVX77-f_dg.jpeg

I had a JVC very similar to the one you have pictured installed in my '78 Deville right after i bought it 6 months ago.Honestly,it sounds great with the original 32 year old speakers----but i don`t stress them either.My JVC has an option for "powerboost"---which i don`t use.I tried it once and it did stress the low wattage speakers too much.Back in '78,the factory installed speakers in most cars were low wattage.

I had to replace the original GM stereo because the tone and speaker balance controls did not work.The rotary station selector would also cause stations to drift in and out.I could have had it repaired--but it would have cost me much more compared to installing the JVC.The JVC digital display does NOT look era appropriate to the rest of the dash though.At night the much brighter display sticks out from the rest of the dash lighting.On the plus side,the JVC digital tuning prevents station drift.I also like the CD player built into it.

abdullahone
07-01-10, 06:26 PM
93-96 are definitely Double Din. But I was told you can fit in single or 1.5 Din head unit in there with proper kit.

water walkin warrior
07-01-10, 06:37 PM
since I don't use my ash tray, I'm thinking about taking the ash tray out and using one of the under dash mounting kits so I can keep the factory stereo in for looks and have the newer head unit for the sounds. Maybe I can even put a toggle switch where the dead space is so I can choose to use the factory unit to play cassettes or the new unit to play cd's and mp3s.

Stingroo
07-01-10, 06:48 PM
93-96 are definitely Double Din. But I was told you can fit in single or 1.5 Din head unit in there with proper kit.

Yep. 1.5 din radios work, but the kits suck. You get this small virtually useless drawer thing.