: Got the dreaded "Shift to Park" this morning

PGA2B
06-29-10, 11:40 AM
I pulled out of the garage and whet to drive and it shifted to drive weird and set a SES light and would not shift out of 3rd no matter what I did. I could go through the gears in manual but it would not shift even thought the dash changed. Shut it off and guess what.... You guessed it:"Shift to Park" was on the dash display even though it showed to be in "P". Drive straight to the dealership and they have her. I told them to pull the codes before the battery died to make sure they didn't reset when the power ran out. So we'll see. I told my Service Advisor to have the battery replaced and check the gear selector sensor in the shifter and if that was not it to check the position sensor in the tranny (Thanks Bob-sts-v). The big problem is that they do not have any loaners because they were backed up til July 7th for service.

Question for Dan or anyone else that know about TSBs:

Does the TSB 03-07-043A have anything to do with this?

PGA2B
06-29-10, 02:05 PM
Dealership called and Neutral Safety switch (Shift Position switch) went bad. So I hope it will not come back like Bob's did.

LITTLEELVISDAN
06-29-10, 02:33 PM
Mine did that and it was the same thing. Never came back after they replaced it

Memphis-V
08-24-10, 05:27 PM
I also just received the dreaded message!!! :mad:

Hey can you tell me how many miles your car had when the shifter problem occurred and or the cost to repair?

CIWS
08-24-10, 05:46 PM
Dealership called and Neutral Safety switch (Shift Position switch) went bad. So I hope it will not come back like Bob's did.

Mine did that and it was the same thing. Never came back after they replaced it

What sucks is I got the same thing while I was out of town. I pulled the battery for about 15-20 min while I ate lunch and then when I hooked it back up the car was back to normal. That's been one year ago this month and it hasn't happened again.
:noidea:

A ghost in the machine :mystery:

saulnierpr
08-24-10, 07:24 PM
Happened to me after a carwash. Battery disconnect solved it no problem. Probably just some water in an amphenol or something.

CIWS
08-24-10, 08:29 PM
I sure would be interested to know the codes the computer throws and what it thinks is wrong.

PGA2B
08-24-10, 10:07 PM
No codes and I had about 42K on mine. They replaced the switch and it had been fine since.

CIWS
08-25-10, 07:08 AM
No codes and I had about 42K on mine. They replaced the switch and it had been fine since.

You didn't throw a CEL when it happened ? Mine did, it was just one of those inopportune times when I had my scan tool with me out of town, but it was back in the hotel when I went out to lunch that day. Since I pulled the battery I lost the codes.

PGA2B
08-25-10, 08:09 AM
No codes. The tranny shifted weird when I pulled out of the garage and when I went to Drive there was a CLUNK. SO I went to shut it off and I got the message and drove straight to the dealer as I was on my way to work that morning.

CIWS
08-25-10, 11:17 AM
No codes. The tranny shifted weird when I pulled out of the garage and when I went to Drive there was a CLUNK. SO I went to shut it off and I got the message and drove straight to the dealer as I was on my way to work that morning.

Ok cool, Mine did pretty much the same thing, but generated a CEL. Really curious what it thought was going on.

Tinmanx
09-10-10, 09:44 PM
Was pulling through a parking lot today. After coming to a stop, then proceeding, I noticed what felt like the transmission slipping. Pulled into a parking spot, and hit the Onstar button to do a remote diagnosis. They said there were two codes. One was a generic code produced by the power train computer to light the dash light. The other signaled a problem with the gear selector position sensor. I noticed that the usual gear position indicator was missing from the display. I turned the car off and got the Shift To Park warning even though it was in park. I started it back up and it no longer felt like it was slipping, but I kept getting the Shift To Park warning. I drove home and got out the laptop. When I started the car again, the servce engine light was out, but I kept getting the Shift to Park message. I read the codes. It had stored P0700 and P1825. I cleared the codes in hope of getting rid of the Shift To Park message, but no luck. Pulled the battery terminal for a while. (please remember to leave a door open if you do this) After I reconnected it, I went back in to the car and saw the Shift To Park message. I started it up, turned it off, then bingo, no more shift to park message! Went for a drive no more message.

jwall09
09-13-10, 12:09 AM
Was pulling through a parking lot today. After coming to a stop, then proceeding, I noticed what felt like the transmission slipping. Pulled into a parking spot, and hit the Onstar button to do a remote diagnosis. They said there were two codes. One was a generic code produced by the power train computer to light the dash light. The other signaled a problem with the gear selector position sensor. I noticed that the usual gear position indicator was missing from the display. I turned the car off and got the Shift To Park warning even though it was in park. I started it back up and it no longer felt like it was slipping, but I kept getting the Shift To Park warning. I drove home and got out the laptop. When I started the car again, the servce engine light was out, but I kept getting the Shift to Park message. I read the codes. It had stored P0700 and P1825. I cleared the codes in hope of getting rid of the Shift To Park message, but no luck. Pulled the battery terminal for a while. (please remember to leave a door open if you do this) After I reconnected it, I went back in to the car and saw the Shift To Park message. I started it up, turned it off, then bingo, no more shift to park message! Went for a drive no more message.

i get this issue every 30-60 days now. There is something failing on the car that we need to get replaced. Im taking my to the dealer because the other day it did it when i stopped at a red light... it was stuck in like 3rd gear and kept giving me shift to park. The way i get around it is upload a tune to overwrite it and it will work fine for a month or two. I just dont want something bad to happen to the trans and it drives me crazy too.

Tinmanx
09-13-10, 04:46 AM
It scared me the way the transmission felt when it happened. I already made an appointment to get the neutral safety switch replaced. Hopefully it doesn't give me anymore problems before then.

CIWS
09-13-10, 07:27 AM
It scared me the way the transmission felt when it happened. I already made an appointment to get the neutral safety switch replaced. Hopefully it doesn't give me anymore problems before then.

Can you find out if they are pulling the battery when they replace the switch ?

jwall09
09-21-10, 11:38 PM
Took my car to the dealership for this issue. They replaced the shifter assembly - said it was sending bad information to the transmission which caused the issue. I also would get hard shifting from time to time.

Only had it back for two days but so far it seems ok... I will update after a month or so.

ewill3rd
09-22-10, 06:45 AM
On a slight tangent, I got an XLR in with a "shift to park" message. I removed the center console and found that this customer had installed a new cigar lighter fuse... um with a fuse that some cheap-o foreigner made that won't blow when it is supposed to!
In fact it didn't blow, and it should have. There are a dozen wires melted in the IP harness and the harness is trashed. The harness lists for over $4,000 and to put it in I am going to have to remove the dash and HVAC case, which is no small job on an XLR.

This post has 2 points to make.
1. Be glad that you only have bad switches, cables, or shifters.
2. Don't use cheap crap that doesn't work.

There are lots of discussions about these fuses on the internet. Some company was selling them in assortment kits of like 50 fuses for 5 bucks.
I actually happen to have some, and we did some testing. It took 75 Amps to blow a 5 Amp fuse and over 120 Amps to blow a 25 Amp fuse.
(based on my testing)
If anyone has a strong stomach I can post pictures later. I know it is an XLR but it has some similar stuff on it.

Most of our cars, including STS and XLR, have micro switches in the shifters. When the shift lever goes to park it engages the switch and the switch tells one of the modules that the shifter is in park. With Easy key this switch must be engaged or the car will stay on with the "shift to park" message. The trans IMS (internal mode switch) is used primarily for shift control and things of that nature.
Cable adjustments and bad switches are usually the most common failures related to this message.
The reason the XLR has this issue is because the melted wires include the ones from the shifter that tells the comuter the shifter is in park.

choigilligan
10-02-10, 06:57 PM
On a slight tangent, I got an XLR in with a "shift to park" message. I removed the center console and found that this customer had installed a new cigar lighter fuse... um with a fuse that some cheap-o foreigner made that won't blow when it is supposed to!
In fact it didn't blow, and it should have. There are a dozen wires melted in the IP harness and the harness is trashed. The harness lists for over $4,000 and to put it in I am going to have to remove the dash and HVAC case, which is no small job on an XLR.

This post has 2 points to make.
1. Be glad that you only have bad switches, cables, or shifters.
2. Don't use cheap crap that doesn't work.

There are lots of discussions about these fuses on the internet. Some company was selling them in assortment kits of like 50 fuses for 5 bucks.
I actually happen to have some, and we did some testing. It took 75 Amps to blow a 5 Amp fuse and over 120 Amps to blow a 25 Amp fuse.
(based on my testing)
If anyone has a strong stomach I can post pictures later. I know it is an XLR but it has some similar stuff on it.

Most of our cars, including STS and XLR, have micro switches in the shifters. When the shift lever goes to park it engages the switch and the switch tells one of the modules that the shifter is in park. With Easy key this switch must be engaged or the car will stay on with the "shift to park" message. The trans IMS (internal mode switch) is used primarily for shift control and things of that nature.
Cable adjustments and bad switches are usually the most common failures related to this message.
The reason the XLR has this issue is because the melted wires include the ones from the shifter that tells the comuter the shifter is in park.

Thanks for the information, it's nice to get some actual technical information instead of just educated guessing.

jwall09
10-02-10, 10:26 PM
Took my car to the dealership for this issue. They replaced the shifter assembly - said it was sending bad information to the transmission which caused the issue. I also would get hard shifting from time to time.

Only had it back for two days but so far it seems ok... I will update after a month or so.

Well it happened again after my $500, so my doubts about it being the shifter assembly was right. What made me question it was the fact i would also experience hard shifts/down shifts and irregular shifts (long, delayed) at times.

choigilligan
10-03-10, 01:11 PM
Well it happened again after my $500, so my doubts about it being the shifter assembly was right. What made me question it was the fact i would also experience hard shifts/down shifts and irregular shifts (long, delayed) at times.

So the new shifter assembly fixed the problem? Or is it still a problem with the new shifter assembly?

jwall09
10-06-10, 10:06 PM
So the new shifter assembly fixed the problem? Or is it still a problem with the new shifter assembly?

Still a problem - they just fixed it (they say) by replacing the trans internal mode switch (free i might add).

cavalierz24
11-16-10, 08:53 PM
Well, it's not exactly the same issue, but my new-to-me (<2 months) 06 model occasionally will not turn off. I get the same "shift to park" message. I've found through trial and error (certainly not through angrily hitting anything) that wiggling the shift lever while it's in park seems to affect the situation.

I don't get the 3rd gear "clunk" so I'm not sure if it's related or not, but hopefully this information helps somebody.

mcflury
10-02-12, 02:37 AM
I have this same problem and need to replace my Neutral safety switch anyone ever done this before. Any idea where to start I like doing things myself

mcflury
10-03-12, 01:56 PM
Has anybody even done it

jerrylsantos
10-03-12, 02:24 PM
When the issue started for me, it escalated from once every few weeks (and going away with a jiggle), to happening every time i tried to turn off the car (and not turning off for more than a minute). Took it to the dealership for inspection, and they pointed out that the previous owner must have spilled soda on/into the shifter assembly. This was evident by the residue that I haven't noticed; it also may explain why it was a bigger problem on hotter days (residue got sticky?).

In any case. I ordered the shifter assembly from gmpartdirect and swapped it out myself. (<$200 part vs $800+ dealership quote). I also adjusted the shifter cable so there is far less jiggle in the shifter. Looking at the assembly itself, i couldn't see any switches, plugs, or anything removable, just the self contained unit itself.

It's been about three months and "shift to park" has not returned.

shmugs
10-18-13, 05:16 PM
What is the part # for the shifter assembly?

264WOODY
10-19-13, 12:40 PM
What is the reason for leaving the door open, while you disconnect the battery? so you don't lock yourself out?