: The end has come for my '87 FWB

ReagansRollsRoyce
06-29-10, 12:13 PM
Well, it's been a while since I've been on here, but I have to let you guys know my '87 FWB is shot.

The shame of it all is that it's a beautiful car...white, no underbody rust, beautiful white leather seats, power stuff still working (including the a/c), vinyl top still excellent...and in a garage for 90% of its life.

But, I'm an attorney, not a mechanic. And I'm a young attorney who has mondo student loans to pay back in a legal market where salaries are terrible. No one can say I didn't try with this car. I brought it back from the dead once a few years back, with a 307 V8 from a 1990 Brougham, with some help from the guys on here. But now cylinder #2 has horrible compression (I got 3 opinions on that) and she needs a valve job. Plus, the braking system is screwed up in a number of ways...the master cylinder seal is distorted, the front brakes are wearing unevenly, the hoses are rotted...it all adds up to probably another $2K-4K in repairs I'm not ready to take on.

Another factor is that I'm moving to NYC soon for my job, and obviously, there's no place there for an FWB! If the engine and brakes were okay, I might have stashed it outside the city in storage, but I can't justify that when it's not in full operating condition, too expensive.

If anyone wants the car, please PM me or shoot me an email at oklolaw@gmail.com. I can send some pictures, but I'm not going to go through the trouble of uploading them here. I think it will be at the mechanic's for another day, then I'll send it to a junkyard, but if nobody gets back to me about it in the next day or so, I'll update this thread with the name and address of the junkyard. I will (perhaps to no avail) see if I can persuade them not to crush it or anything for a few weeks so if you guys want it you can get at it.

It could frankly still be a nice car if you did a valve job/new engine, and fixed the brakes. It still drives well (especially considering it's basically operating on 7 cylinders) and looks great. I'm just not the man to keep it going.

Let me know, guys. I'm glad I never had to sell it into the ghetto, but I would be sorry to see it crushed if one of you could use it.

I am in Southern Connecticut, by the way, off I-95.

RRR

robb257731
06-29-10, 12:18 PM
Wow....why crush it when you could at least put it on Kijiji or Craigslist?

outsider
06-29-10, 12:19 PM
Man! This sucks! DO NOT JUNK THE VEHICLE!

If only you had time/space/tools/know-how to part it out. Lots of people on here need some good parts. If I had the time and money, I'd buy it in a heart beat. Especially if there's no underside rust etc...wow. I would take that car and my 87 and make a sweet ride...but my 69 is taking up all my time and money right now :(

And with 3 cadillacs I have no room :'(

ReagansRollsRoyce
06-29-10, 12:20 PM
And btw, I'm sure I will catch some flack for this, but I am pretty unimpressed with the supposedly "bulletproof" 307 V8.

My first one's main bearings went at 128K.
This one needs a valve job at 124K (got with 77k)

I thought these things were supposed to last for 200K and beyond.

I had an '87 Crown Victoria (Ford 302) and I sold that sucker at 192K without a whisper of an engine problem.

And yes, I always change my oil, put good Castrol in there, don't abuse the engine...so I don't think it could be attributed to my driving style.

It honestly makes me leery of ever owning another 307 car. But, perhaps I've just had bad luck, and the many of you who have spoken of this engine lasting 300-400K are the more typical experience.

RRR

ReagansRollsRoyce
06-29-10, 12:22 PM
Wow....why crush it when you could at least put it on Kijiji or Craigslist?

Well, I hope they don't crush it, I am going to ask them to hold it for a bit.

But I can't have the thing sitting around on the lawn. I'm not going to have a lawn in a few weeks, first of all. I'm moving to NYC. So that means, it's got to sit on the lawn at my parents' house. That's not happening.

And what am I going to get for it, $500? I wouldn't drive it with shady brakes. It just doesn't seem worth it to me.

ReagansRollsRoyce
06-29-10, 12:25 PM
Man! This sucks! DO NOT JUNK THE VEHICLE!

If only you had time/space/tools/know-how to part it out. Lots of people on here need some good parts. If I had the time and money, I'd buy it in a heart beat. Especially if there's no underside rust etc...wow. I would take that car and my 87 and make a sweet ride...but my 69 is taking up all my time and money right now :(

And with 3 cadillacs I have no room :'(

Ha, well, it would be nice if I were a mechanic, but I'm not.

There's a lesson here, though, kids...don't buy one of these unless you are a mechanic at this point.

And can figure out the factory service manual. This is no 60s Caddy, everything is hidden under 300 feet of vacuum lines and emissions hoses.

csbuckn
06-29-10, 12:29 PM
What city are you in?

Bro-Ham
06-29-10, 12:34 PM
Repairable cars, especially one like yours, have value and can be sold quickly with an ad on craigslist. Price it to go and chances are it will get into the hands of someone who will give it some loving. That's what the junkyard will most likely do with it if it is as nice cosmetically as you say.

outsider
06-29-10, 12:35 PM
Ha, well, it would be nice if I were a mechanic, but I'm not.

There's a lesson here, though, kids...don't buy one of these unless you are a mechanic at this point.

And can figure out the factory service manual. This is no 60s Caddy, everything is hidden under 300 feet of vacuum lines and emissions hoses.

Yeah, I'm not a mechanic but I can still do 90% of the work on my 87 :)

ReagansRollsRoyce
06-29-10, 12:41 PM
What city are you in?

Old Saybrook

ReagansRollsRoyce
06-29-10, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I'm not a mechanic but I can still do 90% of the work on my 87 :)

I envy you. I have no time to figure it out. You can't be an attorney and a mechanic! I can't even imagine. :bonkers:

ReagansRollsRoyce
06-29-10, 12:44 PM
Repairable cars, especially one like yours, have value and can be sold quickly with an ad on craigslist. Price it to go and chances are it will get into the hands of someone who will give it some loving. That's what the junkyard will most likely do with it if it is as nice cosmetically as you say.

That's honestly fine with me if they do. Better that than crushed. I just wanted to alert you guys, since you helped me with the 2nd engine.

It's not enough money at stake to do anything for me.

bicentennialcadillac
06-29-10, 12:52 PM
PM sent.

ReagansRollsRoyce
06-29-10, 12:57 PM
PM sent.

Your inbox is full!:D

bicentennialcadillac
06-29-10, 01:25 PM
Your inbox is full!:D

Lawlz. Try again! :thumbsup:

ReagansRollsRoyce
06-29-10, 01:26 PM
Message sent.

MudAnt
06-29-10, 09:39 PM
Just put it on Kijiji/Craigslist for about $200. Someone looking for a good parts/project car will buy it in a few days at that price, as long as you mention in the ad the reason for the low price.

If you sell it to the junkyard, you'll probably only get $100, and you'll have to live with the thought that it was scrapped and crushed instead of being restored.

ReagansRollsRoyce
07-01-10, 03:40 PM
All right...as there were no takers here and I'm not allowed to leave it over at my parents' house on their lawn for 2 weeks on craigslist, Tuesday morning it's going here

http://www.elmcityautowrecking.com/home.nxg

That's in New Haven, Conn. Address is on the website.

I got $150 for it. I know they may crush it, I know they may sell it to somebody for more. But I am moving to NYC next week, so I'm out of time. If it were an older one, I would have spent more to keep it going...and probably would have had to spend less on repairs without that Commodore 64 vintage emission controls computer and 20 miles of vacuum lines fouling things up. Too bad, but that's life.

If anybody here or anyone you know wants to get the car from Elm City Auto Wrecking, give Rick over there a call on Tuesday. Their number is (203) 865-4995 I'm sure it's the only Cadillac there that is white with white leather.

I hope to have an old Cadillac again some day. A true vintage one, from '76 or earlier, that with an established attorney's salary I can afford to have the complicated repairs done, and hopefully not have to have them done often as it won't be a daily driver, but a Sunday cruise garage queen instead.

For now, I have to be practical. Probably going to pick up a Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis from the 2000s so at least I can keep getting my RWD, full frame fix. But I'll be back to the "Standard of the World" some day.

I want to thank everybody on here who has helped me out with the car over the last 7 years, especially 1990CaddyBrougham who supplied the engine that brought it back from the dead the first time. As an attorney and a history major in college, about all I was ever able to do on that car was change the fluids and change the spark plugs. But, I envy all of your mechanical abilities and I hope you keep as many of these old beasts on the road as you possibly can.

Take care,

RRR

Cadillac_Fan
07-01-10, 04:54 PM
RRR,

I share your sentiments on the so-called indestructible, "bulletproof" 307. My '88 Brougham was afflicted with a nightmare 307 - and I foolishly spent a small fortune keeping it going.

Accordingly, I always enjoyed your posts and hope you find your way back here at some point in time with a healthier Cadillac. (Your screen name was the best, too, as I've always had admiration and respect for RWR.)

All the best for a successful law practice and accomplished legal career.

Cadillac_Fan