: Transmission Normal Op Temp

AG'S-V
06-29-10, 10:29 AM
Yes...I did use the search function, but I only found a couple threads with very limited info.

What kind of temps are you guys seeing normally? This past weekend I took a road trip to south Texas with outside temps in the upper 90s...transmission was hovering around 185 up to 194 with sustained speeds of 80-90 (Passport 8500 FTW!:highfive:) and very limited downshifting (so flat you can see the back of your head).

I swapped out the fluid about 15k miles ago with the GM stuff, that 15k includes an entire track day and 1 auto-x.

Time to swap it again? Otherwise no issues...thanks!

PISNUOFF
06-29-10, 10:50 AM
That temp seems good for normal driving to me. I've seen mine well over 200 while driving with some spirit.

AAIIIC
06-29-10, 11:19 AM
I hardly ever look at mine, and don't know that I've ever even looked at mine on track. 180s and 190s seems about right for normal driving.

nmaier2201
06-29-10, 11:21 AM
under normal driving (not beating on it) and as long as I'm not in stop and go it usually doesn't get over 185... if I'm just driving on the highway for an hour or so it'll get to 165... but with all the moving air it stuggles to get much higher...

if your trans fluid is 200... I can only imagine how hot your clutch fluid is... eeek

PISNUOFF
06-29-10, 12:15 PM
under normal driving (not beating on it) and as long as I'm not in stop and go it usually doesn't get over 185... if I'm just driving on the highway for an hour or so it'll get to 165... but with all the moving air it stuggles to get much higher...

if your trans fluid is 200... I can only imagine how hot your clutch fluid is... eeek

Like when my trans temp says 230??? :banghead:

Slithering_Joe
06-30-10, 09:29 AM
Just over the weekend I spent a good amount of time on the NJ Turnpike. The air temperature was 90*F+ and I was cruising at a good clip until it turned into a a 10 mile length of stopped cars. While cuising at 65mph for a little while I saw temps in the 180*F-185*F range. During the "parking lot" period of the trip, the speed didn't exceed 2mph (literally) for well over an hour and the temperature increased to 192*F. This rise was just from the engine & exhaust heat.
I have absolutely no complaints about the trans in my car except the shifter. During the summer, I see 180's*F trans temp all the time on the highway and it performs well. I have it filled with Mobil 1 ATF. I'd say you are seeing what is normal.

Maybe in the near future, I have a plan to get a few appropriate weatherpack connectors, wiring, another transmission fluid temperature sensor (TFT), a sensor-fill plug adapter if required and extend the TFT sensor harness down to the differential to monitor the temps are back there instead. Using a infrared thermometer I have seen diff temps in the 180-190*F. I'm sure the exhaust helps to contribute some heat to the trans and diff also as I have measured the pipe temperatures in the rear half of the car in excess of 230*F. Exhaust wrap/shields in the diff area of the pipe are in the very near future. Anything to help out the diff since mine makes more noise the hotter it gets.

AG'S-V
06-30-10, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the input guys!

SS from the "Wood"
06-30-10, 01:22 PM
Ryan,

as a fellow Houstonian... I think your temps are normal... I'm seeing about 170's on days I spend driving all over the city. I just changed my fluid to Amsoil TorqueDrive when I did my clutch install too.

nmaier2201
07-01-10, 10:41 AM
Ryan,

as a fellow Houstonian... I think your temps are normal... I'm seeing about 170's on days I spend driving all over the city. I just changed my fluid to Amsoil TorqueDrive when I did my clutch install too.

Yeah I've got amsoil severe gear oil in my diff as well... no complaints. It whines a little, but that's the poly diff bushing... no chatter from the limited slip. I have no idea how hot it gets though.

AG'S-V
07-01-10, 11:51 AM
Thanks Shannon...I might be letting you know when it's clutch time for me!

Think I'm going with the LS7...will prob do the MM's as well.

mitchntx
07-01-10, 01:40 PM
I spent a weekend at Harris, Hill Raceway in the V this past weekend. H2 is located in San Marcos which is about 1/2-way between Austin and San Antonio Texas.

Ambient temps were in the mid 90s and track temps were 120+

My trans temp reached 215*, water temp was 210* and oil temp was 255*

Driving home Sunday evening in I35 S-N-G traffic, trans temps were in the 200-205 range, water was 195-200 and oil was 235.

When I got home, I put the cat on the lift doing a nut-n-bolt check, checked the trans fluid level and while it was still full, it was black!

I have no idea what was in it, but it now has Redline D4 ATF.

I'm monnitoring closely

Slithering_Joe
07-01-10, 02:24 PM
When I got home, I put the cat on the lift doing a nut-n-bolt check, checked the trans fluid level and while it was still full, it was black!
I have read in a few factory service manuals that the color of the ATF is no indication of the quality of the fluid. I'm not saying that bad fluid will not look like crap but ATF may lose its cherry-red color over time from use which is normal. Although, I have to say, the Mobil 1 ATF stays red for a very very long time.

mitchntx
07-01-10, 02:33 PM
For you PETA folks, I promise I didn't Nut-N-Bolt my cat while on a lift .... :banghead:

I will add that it didn't smell burned, just surprised me that it had turned so black.

Paisan
07-01-10, 09:12 PM
Daily Driving:

ATF: 170-190
Oil Temps: 215
Coolant Temps: 195-215

Track:
ATF: 190-195
Oil Temps: 255-300
Coolant Temps: 215-230

Fluids:
Amsoil Allison ATF Fluid
Rear Diffy Amsoil
Engine Oil 5w30 Redline

Hope this helps.

-mike

C66 Racing
07-02-10, 09:36 AM
I watched my tranny temp often and I think your temps are typical for "normal" driving. Tranny is probably pretty lightly loaded in those conditions, likely spining at fairly low rpm as I'm guessing you were cruising in 6th and only load was overcoming wind resistance. On the track in my 02 Z06, doing track days before converting it to full on T1 class SCCA racecar (now with tranny cooler), it was very easy to get my tranny temp warning at about 275F or so. Now with tranny cooler I've never seen the warning something like 30+ races.

As for the fluid, take a look at the viscosity of my stock fluid in 10k miles:
2006 Cadillac CTS-V Used Oil Analysis Dexron III vs AMSOIL ATF Transmission Fluid (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/TestResults/CTS-V%20Transmission%20UOA.htm)
Stock fluid sheared low out of grade to a hot (212F) viscosity of 5.0 in only 10k miles. Given you have 15k plus a track day, I'd change it out.

For those interested, I used this in my 06 CTS-V after the above listed two samples until I sold the car last fall and continue to use that same fluid in my 02 Z06 track car:
AMSOIL Torque-Drive Synthetic Transmission Fluid (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/ATDPB.htm) (Product Code ATD1G)

If anyone is interested in this fluid, please drop me a PM (might be slow getting back to you this weekend as I'm about to head out camping) and I'll make sure you get the best possible pricing via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Preferredcustomer.htm), about 25% under retail.
:cheers:

AG'S-V
07-02-10, 12:40 PM
Amsoil Allison ATF Fluid

ORLY? I used to sell trucks for a living...that's some good stuff.

Yeah...when I drained the factory fill crap it was NASTAY...

mitchntx
07-13-10, 05:55 PM
I spent a weekend at Harris, Hill Raceway in the V this past weekend. H2 is located in San Marcos which is about 1/2-way between Austin and San Antonio Texas.

Ambient temps were in the mid 90s and track temps were 120+

My trans temp reached 215*, water temp was 210* and oil temp was 255*

Driving home Sunday evening in I35 S-N-G traffic, trans temps were in the 200-205 range, water was 195-200 and oil was 235.

I have no idea what was in it, but it now has Redline D4 ATF.

I'm monnitoring closely

Thought I'd update this ...

After about two weeks of daily driving (32 miles round trip - mostly hiway) trans temps never get over 165* and its near 100* ambient.

I have also noticed a significant decrease in noise coming from the shifter (B&M) and the notchy-ness is almost gone.