: Rust/holes-trunk

KimKnudsen
06-29-10, 09:54 AM
I got a major problem in the trunk and wan't to get rid of it!

I wan't to know what these parts are named on american.

as you see on the pictures i have 2 holes on both sides that need
to be fixed. But the parts i need name on is that rubberthing with a bolt on
that i hold in my hand on the picture ( rust.2 ) they sits in hole shown under the car on picture ( rust.3 ) It's like an arm with a hole in. it's all rot and im afraid i must weld.

Without the new plates i must weld in the trunk, what parts do i need, and is there someone who have pictures from this spot under the car so i can see how it looks originally? Sorry for my bad english, but i'd tryed my best :)

hermanpj
06-29-10, 10:51 AM
it looks like you are holding a body mount in your hand. a rubber cushion with a bolt through the center as well as some washers and a nut on one end. the body mount would connect the arm from the frame (the thing with the hole in it in the third picture) to the body, but it seems the location on the body where this mount would attach is rusted away.

so it sounds like you first need to replace the rear wheel tub by cutting out the remnants of the original tub, measure it, estimate the size of circle it makes, then call an after market body parts supply store and order a replacement tub in the nearest dimensions you can.

then you need a diagram of the body mount from the shop manual for your year and series of car, for this exact body mount. this will tell you how many washers, the size of the rubber cushion(s), the nut, size of bolt, etc, and how they are arranged, how they are torqued. with this information, put the mount on the frame's body mount arm.

when the wheel tub you ordered arrives, you will have to trim it to size, and then drive to a shop that can weld the tub to the inner rear fender. this same shop can fabricate a metal bracket/mounting point for the body which will attach to the mount you have installed on the frame arm.

ideally you should get a diagram showing the mounting location for the body. this will assist in making the bracket. the metal for this piece will be thick, so unless you have professional press and metal sheer, probably best to have a shop make it for you.

KimKnudsen
06-29-10, 05:42 PM
it looks like you are holding a body mount in your hand. a rubber cushion with a bolt through the center as well as some washers and a nut on one end. the body mount would connect the arm from the frame (the thing with the hole in it in the third picture) to the body, but it seems the location on the body where this mount would attach is rusted away.

so it sounds like you first need to replace the rear wheel tub by cutting out the remnants of the original tub, measure it, estimate the size of circle it makes, then call an after market body parts supply store and order a replacement tub in the nearest dimensions you can.

then you need a diagram of the body mount from the shop manual for your year and series of car, for this exact body mount. this will tell you how many washers, the size of the rubber cushion(s), the nut, size of bolt, etc, and how they are arranged, how they are torqued. with this information, put the mount on the frame's body mount arm.

when the wheel tub you ordered arrives, you will have to trim it to size, and then drive to a shop that can weld the tub to the inner rear fender. this same shop can fabricate a metal bracket/mounting point for the body which will attach to the mount you have installed on the frame arm.

ideally you should get a diagram showing the mounting location for the body. this will assist in making the bracket. the metal for this piece will be thick, so unless you have professional press and metal sheer, probably best to have a shop make it for you.

- Thank you for great informasjon :)

Nice forum

77CDV
06-30-10, 01:49 AM
These cars are notorious for rusting out behind the rear wheel wells and in the trunk floor. After you repair all the rust damage, make sure you apply a good undercoat to ward off a reoccurance.