: What I Learned About My V2 at Summit Point...

thebigjimsho
06-29-10, 02:36 AM
This will be a work in progress thread as it's 2AM and my brain is fried. Tracked the '09 today at Summit Point's Main circuit and then drove 500+ miles home.

I ran my PS2s with Hawk DTC-30 pads. And Motul fluid. And Amsoil 75W90 Severe Gear diff fluid.

I was impressed with the V2 at the track. Of course I knew it would be very competent, but I needed to experience it for myself. Throwing around 630hp also is not as intimidating on the track as it is on the street. I was able to hit
1.24 <--- g ---> 1.21 on the g-meter today.

I had Behe install headers back in April. They also installed the Lingenfelter Harmonic Balancer pulley upgrade and intake tube. I wasn't so concerned with power as I wanted a throatier sound with the headers as priority. John Behe and his crew put together a car that has the right amount of power. And best of all, they did it without stressing the drivetrain. It was 95 degrees at Summit Point today and I was running the V hard without a hint of heat soak. And no, I don't have any extra heat exchangers. No hiccups with codes or any drivability issues after a full track day. And the car drove as comfortably home as it did stock. Very happy.

I spent much of Saturday getting the V prepped. New rear PS2s installed with an alignment. Then I changed the pads and bled the brakes. Also did an oil change and a diff fluid change. I had some Amsoil fluid from an order I put in for the V1 last summer. So I used that. And the pump that was supplied(extra cost) made it easier than a breeze. I have heard of overheating diff issues and I was concerned about that. Again, in 95 degree temps, the diff had no issues. The same goes for the brakes. Motul fluid is good.

As for the brakes, I had a guy local to me get me the pads. Since Hawks pads had fitment issues early on, there's a lot of numbers and checks to go through. Gary at bigbrakeparts.net came here and used Hawk's site to get me the right pads and had them drop shipped so I'd have them in time. The DTC-30 pads worked great! They work fine on the street, too. They just don't sound fine. And they'll dust. So you guys might want to stick with HP+. But if you can deal with the squeal and dust, it's a great pad to drive to and from the track and still suck your eyeballs out on track...

I got more to say but I'm gonna go to bed now.

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/22963540/389111286.jpg

4gear70
06-29-10, 03:22 AM
Love the pic.. You were really moving there! Sounds like you had a great time at the track and were well pleased with the performance of the V.
I like Motul fluids too. They make awesome stuff. I've been using their 300V synthetic oil in one of my cars for years and highly recommend it.

SD Detail
06-29-10, 08:45 AM
Very good to hear, excellent pic to!

cadigo's
06-29-10, 01:10 PM
Who took that great photo? What kind of speed are you hitting in the straights? That looks like a lot of fun, congrats.

demorgan59
06-29-10, 04:33 PM
That is a great pic. Thanks for sharing. I was at Summit Point years ago and really liked that track.

thebigjimsho
06-29-10, 05:56 PM
Who took that great photo? What kind of speed are you hitting in the straights? That looks like a lot of fun, congrats.
Andy Pilgrim could probably have hit 145+ on the front straight if I could've gotten him to drive it. I was up to about 135 a couple of times and then the pucker factor caused me to lift and coast until I hit my comfortable braking zone.

It was my first track day in the '09 and the first at Summit Point Main. The first 2 sessions I took it easy. The last couple were much better but I left quite a bit on the track. A lot of learning to be had yesterday and a lot left...

mpouls1
06-29-10, 06:10 PM
your right front tire looks like it is in the air...awesome

thebigjimsho
06-29-10, 06:52 PM
Lindsay Cadillac had a professional photographer there. Raceday photos, I believe...

nsaness
06-29-10, 08:12 PM
Thank you for sharing; that is AWESOME!

nynd
06-29-10, 08:26 PM
Nice - these are real track cars.

RapidRob
06-29-10, 10:19 PM
Congrats B-Jim!:thumbsup:

Glad you finally got some track time in the new V2, and it went well. Gotta ask though - why were you wearing, (what looks like), a white hoody in the pic?:confused: New Helmut style perhaps ... ?

Rob

lawnstripes
06-29-10, 10:19 PM
awesome!!!!

thebigjimsho
06-29-10, 11:01 PM
Congrats B-Jim!:thumbsup:

Glad you finally got some track time in the new V2, and it went well. Gotta ask though - why were you wearing, (what looks like), a white hoody in the pic?:confused: New Helmut style perhaps ... ?

Rob
I dunno what you're seeing, it's just a Bell M4...

http://www.ogracing.com/images/products/1332-BELL-M4-SA2005-HELMET.jpg

rjoffe
06-30-10, 01:40 PM
Jim,

Mind comparing your V1 to your V2 ?

thebigjimsho
06-30-10, 11:51 PM
Jim,

Mind comparing your V1 to your V2 ?
I really can't yet. I only got 1 real session where I could start getting into it. The others were trying to figure out the track and where I was losing traction and time.

I will say that tracks like Summit Point is brutal on your front tires, especially the LF. I was constantly trying to take it easy enough to not cook that tire and to keep it from howling from Turn 5 all the way to 9. So with the heavier weight, it does seem to be a more point and shoot type car when compared to the V1.

But, the torque is awesome!! Hitting the front straight, I'd shift into 5th at the start/finish line. Into 3rd entering Turn 1 and then into 4th halfway between Turn 2 and 3. Carry 4th all the way through Turn 4 and back into 3rd for slow Turn 5. So much torque that you don't even think about the power, just keep that steady stream from Turn 5 to 9. Hit 4th coming out of Turn 9 and ride that all the way to the start/finish line again. VERY easy to shift around that track.

Again, I have to give tons of kudos to the guys at Behe Performance. The last session I had a nice run with RobertB here. We were very even throughout much of the course except in the faster straights. Even after a hot session, I would just fly away on that front straight(he has a V1). Absolutely no noticeable heat soak.

thebigjimsho
06-30-10, 11:55 PM
Oh, and the V swallows gas...duh...

I filled up at a station next to the hotel. Between the ride to the track and out to another station, that was maybe just over a gallon's worth. After 2 sessions was when I filled up. 11.2 gallons. So about 5 gallons per session...:suspense:

snzuloz
07-01-10, 12:00 AM

I filled up at a station next to the hotel. Between the ride to the track and out to another station, that was maybe just over a gallon's worth. After 2 sessions was when I filled up. 11.2 gallons. So about 5 gallons per session...:suspense:

WORTH EVERY PENNY FOR THOSE GALLONS I'M SURE... Wish my wife went down as often as my gas gauge! (jk):histeric:

thebigjimsho
07-01-10, 12:04 AM
Be glad she goes down at all... :hide:

rjoffe
07-01-10, 10:22 AM

Jim, 5 Gal per session is not too bad. That's right about where I am at in the V1 at Summit Main.

thebigjimsho
07-01-10, 11:53 PM
Jim, 5 Gal per session is not too bad. That's right about where I am at in the V1 at Summit Main.
In that respect, Summit Main seems to use gas like Putnam Park does...

CVP33
07-02-10, 05:12 PM
That picture is BAD ASS! Nothing more.

thebigjimsho
07-02-10, 06:05 PM
That picture is BAD ASS! Nothing more.
Thank you, sir!

thebigjimsho
07-02-10, 06:07 PM
Oh, BTW, this bleeder is badass!

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/tools/specialty+tools/one-person+brake+bleeder.do

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/GriotsGarage/35714?$detail$

dvandentop
07-03-10, 12:41 AM
sweet glad to hear it is worthy.

my vette is having some overheating issues so might take mine out to the roadcourse this weekend for the 1st time.

thebigjimsho
07-03-10, 01:29 PM
sweet glad to hear it is worthy.

my vette is having some overheating issues so might take mine out to the roadcourse this weekend for the 1st time.
The V will do great! The only thing I would caution is that a tight course that's hard on brakes may also be hard on the street tires. The FL PS2 took some abuse and I'd love to get some R compounds for the next track day...