: Got a Photo Speeding Ticket

csf
06-28-10, 09:23 PM
Driving my STS-V to work in the morning 2 weeks ago. Ticket came in the mail today. I've driven the same road every day since 1994 - I know it by heart. The speed limit is 40 but 30 during school hours. I never speed there - always go around 30 because I drive there during school hours. But the date was June 16 - and I thought school was out for the summer on June 11 so I assumed the speed limit was back to 40. I definitely was not trying to speed - I was only going 43 . . . but apparently I assumed wrong. $40.00 down the drain. At least the car looks good in the photo - I just might print it and frame it.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t309/drcsf/sts-vticket.jpg

TimmyC
06-28-10, 10:52 PM
That's horsecrap. $40 for 13mph over in a school zone? I bet it's no points either, is it? You know why it's so cheap with no points? They know it's BS and they have no authority to collect money from you.

V-Eight
06-28-10, 11:39 PM
What!? You only got a $40 dollar ticket for 10 over, the one I got was $220!

@ Timmy, no there are no points involved because there is no way to verify who is driving.

orconn
06-28-10, 11:39 PM
Do you have the flashing lights indicating that school is in session like we do in many parts of Virginia? If the light wasn't flashing I don't see how they could give you a ticket. If school was actually in session and there were no flashing lights to alert you to a school zone then I quess you are quilty!

TimmyC
06-28-10, 11:42 PM
@ Timmy, no there are no points involved because there is no way to verify who is driving.

And therefore the ticket is BS. I wouldn't pay it.

Night Wolf
06-28-10, 11:48 PM
wow, hi-res traffic cam!

$40, man that's nothin!

my last speeding ticket in the BMW was $380, and the one before that in the other BMW was $360.... same year!

iowasevillests
06-29-10, 12:00 AM
Yeah 40 bucks is peanuts....hell around my part of the woods the court costs are about 60 bucks, and they nail you for that no matter if you go to court or not!

Stingroo
06-29-10, 12:45 AM
$40 for 10 over? You lucked out HARDCORE.

Jesda
06-29-10, 12:50 AM
Traffic cam takes better pics than my phone.

ben.gators
06-29-10, 01:00 AM
I just paid 183$ because of speed camera! 40$ is just a sweat joke!
In Arizona they call this notice of violence, not a ticket, since the driver was not served it! There is a one month deadline for paying the bill, if the driver pays, that is it! 183$ $ goes to state pocket which is very sweat for them in this tough financial era, and there will be no point in driver's history. I paid it just to be safe.
However there are a lot of discussions in different levels in state saying that these notice of violences are totally against the law and constitution and until the person is not served the ticket these notices of violences in mail box are just junk mail!

Aron9000
06-29-10, 01:57 AM
Driving my STS-V to work in the morning 2 weeks ago. Ticket came in the mail today. I've driven the same road every day since 1994 - I know it by heart. The speed limit is 40 but 30 during school hours. I never speed there - always go around 30 because I drive there during school hours. But the date was June 16 - and I thought school was out for the summer on June 11 so I assumed the speed limit was back to 40. I definitely was not trying to speed - I was only going 43 . . . but apparently I assumed wrong. $40.00 down the drain. At least the car looks good in the photo - I just might print it and frame it.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t309/drcsf/sts-vticket.jpg

Honestly I'd fight that shit. See what date the school was let out, around here school gets out before Memorial day weekend, some schools let out the 3rd week of May(and start 1st or 2nd week of August). I know that I've seen school lights flashing during the summer as well, they forget to turn them off.

cad08stsv
06-29-10, 04:46 AM
I don't think they forgot anything. They are in the business of raising money for there verious projects. So to leave the lights flashing even when school is
out is a scatch on there part. Most small townships the chips are stacked
against you anyway. When I lived in Brooklyn NY you had a chance to defend
yourself. But not in small town court. You are assumed guilty, I don't know
maybe because most people won't take off work to fight the ticket. When giving the chance of court cost, local fines, and State sir charges with no points isa lot more inviting than fight and being found guilty as would the case be anyway.
How do you fight that. I drive under the speed limit because I hate getting
stopped. I don't need the sermon, just give me the ticket and see you in court.
Good day Gentleman
Russell :want:

C&C
06-29-10, 05:38 AM
Here's another question: did you maybe get the $40 ticket for going three-over. Don't know, just asking.

csf
06-29-10, 07:46 AM
As the original poster I actually posted this only in the STS-V forum because I thought the members there would get a laugh from the picture. But the moderator moved it here. I really was not trying to make a big deal.

I do think this whole thing is BS, just a money grab from our wonderful city, and thats why its only $40.00 and no points. There's no way I'm taking a day off to go fight $40.00. And the actual ticket does say 43 in a 30.

But . . . I'm sure there are not any flashing lights there. Just a sign or two. There certainly has never been a crossing guard. I'm going to really look at all the markings today. The closest school is 3 or 4 blocks down on that side street - not even visible from the road I was on. After talking to a few people last night, it seems its the speed camera that is brand new - possibly there only a few months.

ewill3rd
06-29-10, 08:19 AM
I would call the issuing authority and ask them if they know whether or not school was in session that day.
I would then ask them that if it was not in session wouldn't that make the ticket 3 over, in which case they would likely not try to collect from you, although they could.
If it sounds like they don't care or won't budge, I'd just pay it.
$40 and no points is not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things and as stated, not worth the risk of fighting in court.

itschrome
06-29-10, 09:10 AM
I just paid 183$ because of speed camera! 40$ is just a sweat joke!
In Arizona they call this notice of violence, not a ticket, since the driver was not served it! There is a one month deadline for paying the bill, if the driver pays, that is it! 183$ $ goes to state pocket which is very sweat for them in this tough financial era, and there will be no point in driver's history. I paid it just to be safe.
However there are a lot of discussions in different levels in state saying that these notice of violences are totally against the law and constitution and until the person is not served the ticket these notices of violences in mail box are just junk mail!

Could have sworn I read/heard some place that AZ just decided to get rid of these after being deemed unconstitutional or something.. IDK could be wrong.

firstimecaddi
06-29-10, 09:28 AM
send them a photo of two twenty dollar bills.

V-Eight
06-29-10, 09:49 AM
Somebody did that in my city, they sent him back a picture of handcuffs lol.

PGA2B
06-29-10, 11:51 AM
What!? You only got a $40 dollar ticket for 10 over, the one I got was $220!

They can't do points because I bet if you check, the local police department does not control or monitor the camera. I bet it is a third party that just monitors and sends out the tickets. At least that is how it works here in KCMO. The tickets come from Ohio!

OffThaHorseCEO
06-29-10, 11:59 AM
Could have sworn I read/heard some place that AZ just decided to get rid of these after being deemed unconstitutional or something.. IDK could be wrong.

AZ actually cares about unconstitutional?

OffThaHorseCEO
06-29-10, 12:00 PM
send them a photo of two twenty dollar bills.

Somebody did that in my city, they sent him back a picture of handcuffs lol.

hahaha thats nice to see that sense of humor

dkozloski
06-29-10, 12:00 PM
Higher a good lawyer. They'll fight it right down to YOUR last dime.

ben.gators
06-30-10, 05:31 AM

These discussions are still in progress and no final decision is made yet, at least as far as I know, else I would not paid that 183$ :D

ben.gators
06-30-10, 05:35 AM
AZ actually cares about unconstitutional?
Ask it from our governor! :D