: Any tips for getting a scuff off the bumper?

FSTCADY
06-28-10, 05:51 PM
On Saturday I did a friend a favor and took them to the airport. They thanked me by dragging their suitcase out of the trunk and putting 2 or 3 noticable scuffs/scratches on the top of the rear bumper :thepan:

If it were on the sheet metal I'd just buff/clay it out. What can we do with the plastic bumper?

way2evil1
06-28-10, 06:14 PM
Does your fingernail catch in it? If it doesnt just get some rubbing compound and rub it out.

RapidRob
06-28-10, 06:45 PM
^^^ GM Swirl Remover would probably remove it if it passes the above test.

Rob

cbloveday
06-28-10, 07:12 PM
I would have to see the "scuff". Claying would more than likely not do anything unless there is material from the suitcase on the paint. I would start with the least abrasive polish you have and go over it a few times with it. If it is still there, move to the next polish. Finish with wax/sealant.

Never let someone else get luggage (or anything for that matter) out of your trunk.

I use Griots polish and followup with their wax.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/8+ounce+machine+polish+collection.do?search=basic&keyword=polish&sortby=newArrivals&page=1

nynd
06-28-10, 07:20 PM
Use Meguairs scratch X - I love the stuff. You'll need to put some elbow grease into it but show work out as long as its not deep (scuff - I assume you mean on surface).

JFJr
06-28-10, 08:06 PM
Liquid Glass should remove a good bit. After that if you're not happy, a more abrasive polish. I'm not handy so I wouldn't try rubbing compound unless I had some additional training/skill.

neuronbob
06-28-10, 08:25 PM
Never let someone else get luggage (or anything for that matter) out of your trunk.

I have a piece of clear bra in precisely that location just in case that happens. I agree with the others' advice as well.

FSTCADY
06-28-10, 08:30 PM
It was one of those akward moments... I said let me get it, they said its ok I got it, and I said no really I want to, and then they dragged it out across the bumper. Some people just don't know how to act around nice things.

V&Vette
06-28-10, 09:20 PM
Use Meguairs scratch X - I love the stuff. You'll need to put some elbow grease into it but show work out as long as its not deep (scuff - I assume you mean on surface).

Awesome stuff, I agree. I use either this or the 3m scratch remover which is also great.

Sucks that you help a friend and they have no respect for your 70k car. The way some people treat the property of others is amazing....usually the same individuals that if you were to do that to their Camry, they'd freak out, make a scene and ask for $ to fix asap.

tedcmiller
06-28-10, 10:53 PM
Almost any brand of swirl/scratch remover will take out the scatches if they are not too deep, and you are willing to invest a lot of time and elbow grease in the removal. I use the Harley-Davidson brand since my wife bought it for the motorcycles.

Marcuse12
06-29-10, 10:08 AM
+1 on Meguiar's Scratch-X....