: Former RWD you once owned and now wish you could have back.

Cadillac_Fan
06-28-10, 06:24 PM
What RWD Deville, Fleetwood Brougham/Brougham did you once own that you wish you still had in your possession and never sold/scrapped/traded-in, etc?

Describe it and tell why you let it go.

As for me, I sorely miss my 1979 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham in midnight blue with a light blue leather interior. Mechanically indestructible.

A few electrical bugs, but the best Cadillac I've ever owned. Would love to have another someday. I even liked the mirror mounted illuminated thermometer and integral CB radio/stereo eight-track deck with digital tuner and clock.

It was the rusted-through floor pans, A-pillars, and enough bondo and resprays, including the fact I was moving out of state, which were the factors I foolishly sold her for a few hundred bucks back in 1999. (Would love to do that one over.)

I made too many mistakes with that beautiful car (washed it too frequently=contributed to rust, used Windex on the faux wood veneer and interior plastic chrome pieces, used Armor All, shampooed the carpets too often=rotted them out).

Benzilla
06-28-10, 06:38 PM
There are times I'd like another shot with my '83 Coupe DeVille. It was white with the antique saddle leather interior. I bought it in Jun 2005 & sold it in summer '07. I sold it because I bought the Phaeton & it took over my project time & money. Used the cash from the '83 to have the Phaeton painted, and a few months later bought Denice (red '79 CDV) Remember what I said about having too many projects? lol.

She was a beauty though, 50k original miles, bought it with 46k. It was only a project because it hadn't been garaged. No rust to speak of, but the paint was checked, the top was cracked in a few spots, and the chrome was pitted. Never had an issue with it until the day I sold it. As I was driving it to meet the new owner, the trans started occasionally shifting hard.... I'd say I got out just in time. If it hadn't been for the HT4100, that car would have been addictive. It rode perfectly, looked great despite it's problems, and it was my first RWD Cadillac.

If I'd had the cash, I would have painted it, swapped in a 350, got some 1.3" whitewalls & had a perfect fun driver.

Stingroo
06-28-10, 07:08 PM
Part of me wishes I had the tools and space to fix the '94 I had. But then, part of me is glad I found the wagon because otherwise there was no way I would be able to transport all of my stuff. lol

Bro-Ham
06-28-10, 07:54 PM
Well, 3 of them I wish I had back:

---1976 Fleetwood Brougham. Bought with only 9,000 miles back in 2002, sold about a year later with 12k miles, florentine gold firemist with antique light ivory gold leather and white top. The car drove like 1976 - like brand new. Magic carpet ride, classic 1970's color combination, and you can't beat the big-car-ness of the 76 Fleetwood, it is beyond imposing but still a very likable car and everyone wanted to ride in mine. Talk about getting the thumbs up when out driving! I could hardly buy gas at the station without being ambushed by somebody asking questions or wanting to buy it. I really didn't want to sell it but a guy sought me out and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. In hindsight I wish I had kept it since right now that car would look terrific as a Florida cruiser and I'd be breaking it in, finally, rolling those miles up! I kept in touch with the guy who bought it and last I heard he still hadn't cracked 20,000 miles. :)

---1978 Fleetwood Limousine - factory model without divider, light blue metallic with dark blue top and dark blue interior. Bought with under 30k miles in 2000, sold a few years later with not that many more miles. The limousine was fun to drive and even more fun to be driven in. A young friend of mine bought it from me and, despite him garaging the car, he is a notorious cheapskate and hasn't maintained the car properly and, although it's resurrectable, it's not the same top notch car I handed him the keys to, so I've ruled out adopting the car for rehab. At this moment I am once again dreaming of owning one of these impressive factory built limousines from the days when owning a limousine was actually a very big deal, unlike today with the ubiquitous rental stretch limousines being everywhere.

---1981 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe. A super clean car that looked to have 1/10th the 230,000+ miles it had. Sold it in 2006, I'd have to look back to see when I bought it. The V8-6-4 was a nightmare but the guy I sold it to found a simple problem my mechanic had never been able to find, probably too easy of a problem to see, and the guy who owns it now is soooo proud of that car and it makes me wish I still had it tucked away someplace. :)

Cadillac_Fan
06-28-10, 08:58 PM
Ben, your '83 CDV was a real prize. It sure looked beautiful from the photos. (I believe you once posted a shot of it from a car show, as there were a few chairs behind the trunk.)

Bro-Ham, you've owned some fine examples. The '78 Fleetwood limousine in light blue metallic with a dark contrasting top must have been a thrill to own. Do you know if the '78 (regular production) Fleetwood Broughams had footrests? My '79 did not have them and I always thought that was cool Cadillac opulence - almost in the vernacular of the Talisman. Although petty, I miss the Cadillac-crested door courtesy lights which were dropped by the late 80s Broughams, in favor of a new metallic square. I do treasure the unmatched and unrivaled lines of the '77-'79 Devilles and Fleetwoods.

In a perfect world, I'd live out in the country with a spacious pole barn to warehouse all the Cadillacs I've owned in the past. Sadly, in my case, hobby cars are for folks with a lot of spare time and extra money. Unfortunately, I have neither!:)

Bro-Ham
06-28-10, 09:56 PM
The '78 Fleetwood limousine in light blue metallic with a dark contrasting top must have been a thrill to own. Do you know if the '78 (regular production) Fleetwood Broughams had footrests? My '79 did not have them and I always thought that was cool Cadillac opulence - almost in the vernacular of the Talisman. Although petty, I miss the Cadillac-crested door courtesy lights which were dropped by the late 80s Broughams, in favor of a new metallic square. I do treasure the unmatched and unrivaled lines of the '77-'79 Devilles and Fleetwoods.

Cad Fan, The 78 Limo was pretty cool, I had always wanted one and that one was special.

The last year of rear seat footrests in the Fleetwood Brougham was 1977. They took up space and I never found them comfortable to use in my 1976.

The Cadillac wreath and crested door courtesy lights ended on the Fleetwood Brougham models when a wreath and crest moved to just below the door pull handles, I'd have to check but was it 1981?, and I would guess the designers felt it would be wreath and crest overkill to have them in both places so close together on one door panel.

I agree that the 77-79 deVilles and Fleetwoods are true classics and you just can't beat the 425. :)

AElayyat
06-29-10, 12:52 AM
There are times when I wish I had not sold my 89 Brougham d'elegance. This one was a 1 owner car when I got it, not in perfect shape, but overall it was a good 8/10. This one was white exterior w/ red leather interior. I'm not gonna lie, it took a while for the red leather to grow on me. This one was in need of a top (various cracks) paint was in good shape overall, interior was in excllent shape (only problem was dash pad had like 3 cracks). The olds 5.0 was a dog but better than the 4100 in my 85 Fleetwood Brougham (I sill have the 85). The option I really liked on this 89 was that it had the optional top (similar to the top on the 90-92 Broughams).

The reason I sold this one was because I finally found a nice 90 Brougham d'elegance w/ the 5.7! I thought I had too many cars. I had 3 Fleetwoods plus my daily driver.

Oh well, I figured I got the Brougham I really wanted (the 90) & I had picked up the 89 because it was an offer I could not refuse.

jmf1964
06-29-10, 01:41 PM
The only rwd caddie I had was a 75 CDV, it was a stripped down model, had ac and nothing else, not even a tilt wheel. The P.O. never maintained it properly i had it for about 6 months and the trannie blew, $750.00 and 2 months later the engine blew. My father, in his infinate wisdom, decided the block was ok, so we rebuilt the engine without fixing the block. A month later we had to do it all over again, but did it right that time. I traded it in not long after that.
Even with all that, sometimes I still miss that car.

Oh yeah, first week I had the car, some idiot ran a red light and wiped out my front fender, he hit me so hard that the fender skirt on the other side came off.

outsider
06-29-10, 02:06 PM
Mine's not a Cadillac...but it was a 1986 Crown Vic...

That thing was a tank! I could burn the tires off of it with no effort...turned donuts on tar or snow...Got pulled over in Canada once doing 150 MPH, not KPH....

I used to take that thing off roading to pit parties and everything. It was so much fun but in my younger days I didn't know much about maintenance and it started misfiring and developed an exhaust leak. Now, this would be no problem for me to fix or have fixed...but back then I considered it the end of the world! Well, I ended up finding my '87 brougham on Ebay. It was in Canada so I had to smuggle it over the border and drive it 40 miles back home illegally. Ended up selling the Crown Vic a few days later for $200 cash to a friend of mine.

I still get texts from people in my home town saying "I saw the beast driving on the road today!" and I still miss the old girl :(

CadillacZach77
06-29-10, 03:13 PM
150 mph :eek:

must have been and old police car huh?

outsider
06-29-10, 03:28 PM
I think so...I didn't know much about cars back then but my mechanic told me it had a 351 windsor in it with some modifications. I bought it from an old man so I doubt he did that to the car. He owned it from new and had some records but me being a dumb kid...I threw them out without really reading them :(

Bro-Ham
06-29-10, 03:41 PM
150?! That's really fast! The speedometers in the non-police car 86 Crown Victoria only go up to 85 mph, but they do read 130 in kilometers per hour. Plus, the 302 FI V8 was the only engine available on the non-police 86 Crown Vic.

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/ford/86cr/bilder/5.jpg

outsider
06-29-10, 03:47 PM
yeah when he pulled me over he said "Do you know how fast you were going?"
and I said "not really, the speedometer stops at 85 but I'm sure it was faster" and he laughed. He let me off with a smaller fine due to me being honest with him, which was nice. after american to canadian conversions it ended up being like $50 american so I was happy :P

Also, my mechanic told me that the car was probably purchased with the "Police package" after paying a "gas guzzler tax" or something. again, really not sure. I was a young punk who didn't know much about cars back then.

dennyartist
07-05-10, 07:00 PM
i had a 1958 S@S Side.loader hearse with the opp. wraparound windows. it met its death by an old lady t boning it in its passengers rear door irreplaceable. 50,ooo miles

Stingroo
07-05-10, 09:53 PM
Oh god... that's really depressing. :(

Bro-Ham
07-05-10, 11:01 PM
Denny, Where are you going to find another one of those?! I bet there's a member of the professional car society, which is for hearse, ambulance, and limousine enthusiasts, who has one like it or can help you find one.

I owned a 1975 Electra 225 hardtop sedan - had about 67k miles when I sold it to a good friend's brother who twisted my arm into selling it to him. Not a Cadillac but I want another 75 Electra in the worse way. :)

greencadillacmatt
07-06-10, 06:00 AM
My first 1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. It was a rotten-out hulk of a car when I got it, but it was my first car. I bought it for $200 when I was 15. It had a HUGE hole in the floor on the driver's side, but the carpet covered it. I never had it out on the road, although I got it up to 40 in our driveway one day. I still have the "Coupe DeVille" logos in my room. I also saved the owners manual, which is now in the glovebox of my current '84.

I know it's not a RWD, but I also SEVERELY miss my '91 Eldorado Touring Coupe. Polo Green, baby!

Aron9000
07-06-10, 06:44 AM
Still miss my 1st Camaro. Z28, automatic, LS1 V8, t-top, leather. Had it for five years, sold it with 120k miles on it. Had to get another Camaro because I missed it so much, but I do prefer banging my own gears in my current car.

http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicles/full/22972182751.jpg (http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewgallery.php?action=viewimg&id=182751)