: Carb Rebuilder & Body Shop in Central IL?

Snuzn2
06-28-10, 03:51 PM
Hey everyone,

My first real post here... I've been searching the forums for the last 3 hours, and can't find an answer to this question: anybody know a good carb rebuilder or a good body shop in central Illinois?

My carb's pretty well cashed - lotsa loose linkage, dodgy choke, it leaks, the list goes on. My regular shop guy says there may be some machine work on my Q-Jet that he can't do. He recommended against picking up a reman carb from a parts joint, but didn't know of any carb guys in the area.

With the body stuff, I was planning on having the rust-trap vinyl roof removed, the roof repaired/painted, and the few other rust spots on the vehicle taken care of (plus weatherstripping, some bumper trim). I've heard some very general recommendations for Gallo Miller & 5th Dimension, but I'd really like to hear some good experiences.

Thanks everybody for reading this, and if I missed something in my searching I apologize,

chp350
06-28-10, 03:59 PM
I just replaced the one on my 1970 convertible with a rebuilt one, with life time warranty and a chrome like finish for $169.95..not sure if we are allowed to post names on here, so pm me for details..

outsider
06-28-10, 04:09 PM
I replaced the carb on my '87 with a "recently rebuilt" one I got from a buick website...no problems since.

water walkin warrior
06-28-10, 04:34 PM
I'm in Central Ill too. My quad-jet probably needs a rebuild. I've considered reading as much as I can and getting a junkyard carb to practice on, then tune and rebuild mine. I had a guy tell me that it was easier than people think and a fine tuned quad-jet is able to get up to 20+ MPG even in my car as well as being just as good as any carb or fuel injector out there. They're just afraid of the unknown. I don't know of many mechanics in the Bloomington/Normal area that have a reputation for carb knowledge. I haven't done the research on it though either. I'm sure there's a shade tree mechanic somewhere that could do a smashing job.

water walkin warrior
06-28-10, 04:39 PM
I just called a mechanic in the B/N area that charges a fair hourly price (I think it's like $40/hr) and has a good reputation with all the people at our church regarding work on their cars. I'll let you know when they call back to see if they have experience with the Quad jet or not.

Stingroo
06-28-10, 04:42 PM
I think it's funny that people consider the carburetor "unknown" in the repair world when it's been around for over 100 years. :lol:

water walkin warrior
06-28-10, 04:51 PM
I think the mystery for a lot of folks is the Electrical Quad-Jet (or something like that). I'm not really sure if I got the terminology right. I don't know much about it myself, but I can read and follow directions. There's books that explain how they work and how to tune them. From what I've heard, the other 2 barrel and plain 4 barrel carbs are more simple than the Quad-Jet.

Snuzn2
06-28-10, 06:09 PM
Thanks for all the info so far, everyone. Great response compared to other boards I've been on. WWW, I'll definitely follow up on that lead you gave me if the rebuild gets too "scary" for my regular guy. Any leads out there on a good body & paint guy?