: Chattanooga man arrested on seven charges for driving wife to hospital

Benzilla
06-28-10, 03:40 PM
Sorry if this is a repost, didn't see it. I can't believe this kind of crap goes on in my own adopted city.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/jun/19/newlyweds-want-answers-for-arrest/

Jesda
06-28-10, 05:38 PM
Boy, i feel so much safer now.

orconn
06-28-10, 06:00 PM
Sounds like Chattanooga P.D. some of those guys that got fired over in Missouri. Well at least Jesda safer now!

ga_etc
06-28-10, 06:30 PM
That is such a crock. The cop was just being an ******* and trying to think of as many charges as possible. The judge in this case should reduce the charges to the two counts of running a red light and expunge his arrest from the records.

Stingroo
06-28-10, 06:37 PM
Just another example of a cop abusing his power, only this time in one of the worst ways possible.

I sincerely hope the asswipe who wrote the tickets gets fired, or better yet, put IN a fire. What a low-life.

OffThaHorseCEO
06-28-10, 07:50 PM
alot of cops are buttholes but

- the man ran 2 red light
- cops cant read minds, he saw a car speeding running lights, he acted accordingly.
- the man didnt stop for the blue lights, i got my ass kicked for that
- this is a news story, by the media. they probably left out all the derogatory names and bad attitude the man had torward the cop.
- the mans license plates were revoked, so the car wasnt supposed to be on the road anyway

so, you take a man who is speeding, running red lights and driving on bad license plates and not stopping for blue lights and you realize where the cop is coming from.

what he should have done is call an ambulance. OR, I can understand where you might think the ambulance would take too long, especially if he noticed signs of a stroke. in that case, if you abosuletly feel you have to drive, then jump in the car, once youre in the car call 911 and put your cell on speaker. tell the dispatcher what youre doing and where youre going. this way officials know why there is a car with expired tags running red lights and speeding.

orconn
06-28-10, 08:00 PM
alot of cops are buttholes but

- the man ran 2 red light
- cops cant read minds, he saw a car speeding running lights, he acted accordingly.
- the man didnt stop for the blue lights, i got my ass kicked for that
- this is a news story, by the media. they probably left out all the derogatory names and bad attitude the man had torward the cop.
- the mans license plates were revoked, so the car wasnt supposed to be on the road anyway

so, you take a man who is speeding, running red lights and driving on bad license plates and not stopping for blue lights and you realize where the cop is coming from.

what he should have done is call an ambulance. OR, I can understand where you might think the ambulance would take too long, especially if he noticed signs of a stroke. in that case, if you abosuletly feel you have to drive, then jump in the car, once youre in the car call 911 and put your cell on speaker. tell the dispatcher what youre doing and where youre going. this way officials know why there is a car with expired tags running red lights and speeding.

Your last paragraph is very sensible and certainly worth a try! However, running red lights is uncalled for under any circumstances; its' very dangerous even for an emergency vehicle much less an untrained novice!

Rolex
06-28-10, 09:57 PM
If my wife was having a stroke, dying, etc there isn't a red light in this city I wouldn't run to get her to hospital. From the time of onset, the first hour of a stroke is absolutely critical to begin treatment before irreversible brain damage occurs. Blowing a light is a whole different thing from running a light with flashers and horns blaring while paying attention to traffic. I didn't read that this driver caused any accidents or injured anybody, so I will assume he was paying attention to traffic and not "blowing" the lights.

The weird thing is I believe both parties are justified: the guy did what he needed to, and what I probably would have done if I were him in that circumstance. The cop was doing his job, and did what I would probably have done if I were a cop in the same shoes. The cop probably saw what happened as fleeing from the police, which is an automatic don't pass go straight to jail offense.

hueterm
06-28-10, 10:49 PM
Your last paragraph is very sensible and certainly worth a try! However, running red lights is uncalled for under any circumstances; its' very dangerous even for an emergency vehicle much less an untrained novice!

A novice who is freaked out and distracted, to boot...

I'm sure the cop was an f-tool, but the guy should have called an ambulance...he could have killed someone. And what if he'd gotten stuck in traffic -- he could have cost his wife her life...

I know that when my dad found my mom after her aneuyrism, he would have been in NO condition to try to drive her to the hospital...

Jesda
06-29-10, 12:10 AM
If you call an ambulance, you have to wait for it to show up.

thebigjimsho
06-29-10, 11:21 PM
If you call an ambulance, you have to wait for it to show up.
Don't bring logic to this argument...

Night Wolf
06-30-10, 11:59 PM
They said the red lights were treated as stop signs.

concorso
07-01-10, 11:39 AM
Don't bring logic to this argument...His statement wasnt any more logical or rational then telling the couple to call an ambulance and wait. What if the husband had gotten trapped in traffic? I know plenty of people who will drive up onto a curb to get out of the way of an ambulance, but wont budge an inch if it looks like 'some *******' is trying to push through traffic, hazards on or not. Dont underestimate the average persons ability to be extremely stubborn, even if its dangerous.

concorso
07-01-10, 12:25 PM
Just another example of a cop abusing his power, only this time in one of the worst ways possible.

I sincerely hope the asswipe who wrote the tickets gets fired, or better yet, put IN a fire. What a low-life.Its sad that so many of you have such hatred for cops. I only hope that its justified hate, and not hatred simply because you know of someone who knows of someone who knows someone who was unjustly arrested.

The guy ran red lights and ignored the police. If they had pulled into a grocery store parking lot, he would have been handled much differently. Theres no indication from the story that it was a rough arrest, which it would have been anywhere but at a hospital. On top of that, every military guy/gal I know (medics and cooks included) will butt heads with anyone who accuses them of being wrong, when they feel they were right. So if that cop came in with a loud angry voice and started saying shit (which he was very justified in doing), Id bet my car ownership that the military husband responded in similar fashion. Both jobs attract very similar individuals.

Was the husband justified in doing what he did? Thats a grey area question that should be left for a courtroom. Would I have done the same? Almost definitely yes. But Id be calling ahead to 911, letting them know of the situation. And Id still be okay with getting arrested, knowing that I did what I needed to do to get my wife to the hospital. Sometimes you have to make choices that can hurt yourself, to protect others. I think that story might have been one of those times

Stingroo
07-01-10, 12:42 PM
I don't have a hatred for cops. I have a hatred for cops who abuse their power. The cops who turn their sirens on to get through traffic, then shut them right back off, the cops that profile people. Those cops. And this cop.

Would I do what this man did? You bet. Do I think that if I were in that situation I would give a rats ass about 911, or even grabbing my cell phone to begin with? Not a snowball's chance in hell. I'd be in the car as fast as I possibly could, and that's that.

FWIW (though I don't think it will be much) I do know of cops who are serious *******s and try and abuse their power, and have even been stopped by a couple. But on the flip side, two of my families closest friends are cops, and so was my ex girlfriend's father.

Rolex
07-01-10, 02:15 PM
.....The cops who turn their sirens on to get through traffic, then shut them right back off......

I'm not a cop fanboy or apologizer, but often times these guys get dispatched to a call "code 3" with lights and sirens, only to get called down 30 seconds later saying that whatever situation they were headed to is under control. That may explain some of those times where you seem to see cops lighting up their flashers only to deactivate them 2 blocks down the road.

concorso
07-01-10, 08:31 PM
I don't have a hatred for cops. I have a hatred for cops who abuse their power. The cops who turn their sirens on to get through traffic, then shut them right back off, the cops that profile people. Those cops. And this cop.

Would I do what this man did? You bet. Do I think that if I were in that situation I would give a rats ass about 911, or even grabbing my cell phone to begin with? Not a snowball's chance in hell. I'd be in the car as fast as I possibly could, and that's that.If you are so busy that you couldnt use a cellphone, how do you expect to navigate traffic at higher than legal rates of speed safely? You cant see the safety issue here? If you hit someone, not only are you potentially destroying some innocent persons' life, you could be the cause of your own wifes demise. You are doing what you have to do. The cop is doing what he has to do. Be a man, accept the consequences, get a good lawyer, and hope the system acknowledges the reasons for your actions. He's military, hes allready got alot going for him.

concorso
07-01-10, 08:34 PM
I'm not a cop fanboy or apologizer, but often times these guys get dispatched to a call "code 3" with lights and sirens, only to get called down 30 seconds later saying that whatever situation they were headed to is under control. That may explain some of those times where you seem to see cops lighting up their flashers only to deactivate them 2 blocks down the road.This happens often. Sometimes even a prank call can result in a similar situation. Ive actually called 911 before, only to call back and say help wasnt needed. Its very possible that in that time period before I called back, an officer had allready put his lights on somewhere in the city. Im not a cop supporter. We just had the G20 meetings in Canada, and the cops made some horrible choices, and hurt alot of innocent people. Id fight tooth and nail for compensation if I was one of the innocent protesters or journalists.

I just dont see how the cop in this situation was soo wrong? We have very little to go on...do we even know what all of the 7 chargers are? Any exchange with a cop can become heated quickly, we dont know what went on specifically between the couple arriving and the husband being arrested. To assume the cop is fully and only at fault, is kinda ignorant imo.

Jesda
07-01-10, 09:05 PM
I'm not a cop fanboy or apologizer, but often times these guys get dispatched to a call "code 3" with lights and sirens, only to get called down 30 seconds later saying that whatever situation they were headed to is under control. That may explain some of those times where you seem to see cops lighting up their flashers only to deactivate them 2 blocks down the road.

I'm sure that happens, but when I was in NYC, it was definitely abuse. We were lined up at a traffic light somewhere in Queens. A police van a couple cars behind me turned on its lights and moved to the front of the line at the stoplight, then shut its lights off. The two officers inside the vehicle sat there laughing.

Meanwhile, my Seville was parked up on the sidewalk because my naive and friendly midwestern self thought there was a real emergency that required me to get out of the way. No one would let me pull back into traffic.

Jesda
07-01-10, 09:07 PM
His statement wasnt any more logical or rational then telling the couple to call an ambulance and wait. What if the husband had gotten trapped in traffic? I know plenty of people who will drive up onto a curb to get out of the way of an ambulance, but wont budge an inch if it looks like 'some *******' is trying to push through traffic, hazards on or not. Dont underestimate the average persons ability to be extremely stubborn, even if its dangerous.

Depends on the neighborhood. If its 7pm here, its faster for me to drive to the hospital than wait for an ambulance, not that the wait would be very long. During rush hour, an ambulance can cut through traffic.