: Went and pulled the trigger...

DrPick
06-28-10, 04:30 PM
Hey all,

Thought I'd introduce myself!

I am a now an official owner of a diamond white 2010 CTS-V, fully loaded. I took delivery of the car yesterday. Couldnt pass up the offer the dealer gave me with the 60 month 0% APR. It's an auto. I'm coming from a 2004 Dodge SRT-4, which is a really fun car, but an upgrade was necessary.

So far, the car is really, really impressive. Inside and out, just very well put together. The handling is what really still surprises the hell out of me. The power is awe-inspiring.

I do have some newbie-type questions for you vets, so be gentle.

#1) I do want to add a few mods, no hurry, such as a CAI, ECU, and maybe an aftermarket exhaust. Any recommendations??

#2) Our garage is currently under construction. I live in MA, so it rains quite a bit. Anyone have a good car cover to recommend until the garage is done?

#3) The wheels look like they are going to be a pain to keep looking nice. I already see some brake dust accumulating. The manual says to use "mild soap and non abrasive wax"... uhhhhh I don't have 2 hours a day to polish the wheels. Any good products people are using?

Thanks in advance, this forum is a wealth of info.

-Dr. P

ebferro
06-28-10, 04:56 PM
Dr. P.
I've also got a Diamond White V that I got about 5 weeks ago which is now pushing about 4000 miles. It's a blast to drive. Anyway, with regard to the wheels, I just got back from a 2000 mile trip to Maine and Massachusetts and Rhode Island and there was a ton of brake dust on the wheels. I spent the better part of 2 hours cleaning all four of them last Friday night. Prior to the trip, I'd put a couple of coats of Rejex on them but the brake dust still seemed to stick to them tenaciously and that's why it took so long to clean them. Anyway, there is another post in the forum here that links to a discussion on the Corvette Forum about Armor All Wheel Protectant. I got a can of that on Saturday and covered my wheels with it. So far, after about 200 miles, the wheels seem to be staying cleaner than they did without it. And, the little bit of dust that is on the wheels doesn't seem to be adhering to them too well. It brushes off pretty easily. Hopefully it'll continue to come off easily so I don't have to spend 2 hours cleaining them all the time. I hope the Armor All Wheel Protectant is the solution going forward.
Good luck with your car.

Stumeat
06-28-10, 04:57 PM
First off WELCOME!

As far as mods, I did a CAI first without an ECU upgrade and it did not like it, so in my experience I suggest doing it all at once.

Yes, the brake dust sucks, search around for posts with info on cleaners, dust preventors and ceramic pads if you wish.

I have never been a fan of car covers since I have seen some real paint damage from them, but that is just me...

Good luck, and enjoy!

baabootoo
06-29-10, 12:33 AM
Turtle Wax foaming wheel cleaner works very well. I'll use this until I put some Autozone ceramic pads on in a month.

thebigjimsho
06-29-10, 03:14 AM
Welcome!

But when is MA considered a rainy climate as opposed to other parts of the country? It's certainly not Florida. And I'll try not to read your name too fast...

Moparman4444
06-29-10, 10:18 AM
Brake dust is a bitch and there is no way to cure it w/o replaceing the pads to good ceramic ones. Its worth the $300 to have dust free pads instead of the factory crap ones.

I am so jelous because I have a black V and always wanted a white on.

Tedboss1
06-29-10, 11:48 AM
You may want to try Armor All wheal protectant.
It worked great on my V2 polished wheels.
Two weeks after applications the wheels look like I have just cleaned them.
No brake dust or dirt.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33786

LFTW8S
06-29-10, 01:10 PM
First off WELCOME!

As far as mods, I did a CAI first without an ECU upgrade and it did not like it, so in my experience I suggest doing it all at once.

Yes, the brake dust sucks, search around for posts with info on cleaners, dust preventors and ceramic pads if you wish.

I have never been a fan of car covers since I have seen some real paint damage from them, but that is just me...

Good luck, and enjoy!

What was the engine doing when you added the CAI without the ECU upgrade?

Stumeat
06-29-10, 11:27 PM
What was the engine doing when you added the CAI without the ECU upgrade?

Sorry for the :hijacked:

It idled rough and threw a code for right bank running too rich.

CIWS
06-30-10, 08:48 AM
:welcome: to the :v: and the Cadillac Forums.