: any advice on servicing supercharger

bubba-v
06-28-10, 03:58 AM
I saw there was a thread awhile back about the dealer not wanting to change the oil and clean the injectors as part of the recommended service.

Has anyone personally changed the oil on the supercharger? If so is there anything special that I should be aware of on these cars?

fhutchin
06-28-10, 09:30 PM
Bubba-V, sorry, no answer to your question - expanding it actually. The owners manual shows a supercharger service due at 25K miles but doesn't describe it. What all does it entail? - coolant change and oil change? or more. And what have dealers been asking for this service? Thanks.

jedhead
06-29-10, 01:59 AM
I believe the supercharger oil is sealed for life.

Bob

bubba-v
06-29-10, 03:09 AM
yeah Fhutchin coolant and oil just like a regular maintenance type service, not like breaking it down or getting into anything real serious. I have seen like Jedhead said that it was sealed for life. I dont know what GM considers the life of the supercharger ??? also saw under heavy use and /or racing every 30-50 thousand miles and I have also seen every 36 mos to every 5 years. Since there is no consensus Im going to just go with the oil change for right now, I figured i could just go with the old syringe or baster and hose thing but theres hardly any info on V-supercharger service and I wasnt sure if there was anything out of the ordinary that I should be aware of. I guess if it blows up when i am done I can report back and let y'all know to leave it alone. LOL

kbf250
06-29-10, 10:16 PM
Hey Guys,

I just recently asked the dealer about servicing the supercharger and they
told me that all they do is flush the coolant and replace it. I think they also clean
the Throttle Body. All that for about $185.00.

Kirk

bubba-v
06-29-10, 11:21 PM
Thanks KBF i was told the same thing myself with the coolant flush I dont think theyre actually getting to clean the throttle body though for that price. It seems like less work to change plugs and theyre getting 300-400$ so Id guess the 150 mark is what ive heard for coolant flush and fills.

FYI for anyone else interested here is what I just found on servicing from Eatons superchargers FAQ :
The sealed oil reservoir in a supercharger is designed to last the life of the vehicle. Changing the oil is not recommended unless you suspect contamination, leakage, or other issues like bearing failure. Also, if your vehicle has an abnormally heavy duty cycle, such as racing or towing, you could consider changing the oil at regular intervals such as 20k, 30k, 50k, or 100k miles depending on usage

If you do want to change the oil there is one fill/drain plug on the front face of the front cover. It will probably be an Allen type plug. You will have to suction out the oil using a syringe or other method before replacing with new oil. Fill levels are dependent on application. For aftermarket units, please consult the aftermarket partner company that produced that specific kit. For OEM units, please see the list below or email infosupercharger@eaton.com. New oil can be obtained from any GM or Ford service parts facility, or from one of the Eaton aftermarket supercharger partner companies or remanufacturers. Please make sure you do NOT use any other type of oil, including synthetic motor oils. These will cause failure.

Pretty general info but specifically for us if you decide to buy the supercharger oil and give it a go

GM Cadillac LC3 Northstar 3-lobe M112 7.3 fl oz oil capacity

thanks again guys!

CIWS
06-30-10, 07:39 AM
I think they also clean
the Throttle Body.

Kirk

The idea of my local techs doing that scares the shit out of me, as they have not demonstrated a good working knowledge of this powertrain. I'm pretty sure it's listed at the 30K mile maintenance mark as my advisor asked me about it when they did the fuel filter but I told them I'm waiting till 50K miles. However I should be out of the STS-V before I reach that mile mark.

PGA2B
06-30-10, 04:02 PM
And if it smells anything like what my Grand Prix GTP did, it is a real treat!!

silverws6ta
07-03-10, 06:53 PM
And if it smells anything like what my Grand Prix GTP did, it is a real treat!!

X2 -- L67 SSEi sitting outside in my driveway.. took it apart to replace the coupler and change the fluid = MOST VILE SMELL KNOWN TO MANKIND --

I attest this to the fact that it has 'fatty acids' in the oil -- check out the compound information from a bottle of GM S/C oil.. interesting!

bubba-v
07-28-10, 05:46 AM
just a follow up in case anyone else ever decides to look into changing out the oil in their supercharger.
supercharger oil change @ 40k,

this is what came out, pretty dark and smelling like some nice rotten limburger cheese:
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/bubba-v/oldsuperchargeroil.jpg

this is the good stuff going in its place, nice&clear.
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/bubba-v/newscoilin.jpg

PGA2B
07-28-10, 09:37 AM
Where is the fill cap you pulled?

550HP STSV
07-28-10, 11:21 AM
im also wondering that

silverws6ta
07-28-10, 11:31 AM
im also wondering that

From that photo; I would look toward the front right at the bottom of the intake and behind the inlet coolant pipe (behind accessories) .. It will probably be an allen headed plug --

I'll scope mine over when I get home.

bubba-v
07-28-10, 11:39 AM
It's just a fill/drain plug behind the black vacuum actuator on the front right side face of the supercharger. Its a Hex socket or Allen type plug.
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/bubba-v/boostactuator.jpg