: electrical problems - blower and wipers dont stop

Adrian12
06-28-10, 04:25 AM
hi guys

i've a strange problem on my 81 deville.

once i drove and washed my windshield, then my wipers didnt stop anymore. i must plug off connector to wiper motor. everytime i plug in motor runs...

but sometimes i plug in they dont run until i use wiper switch. but then the wiper motor doesnt stop anymore????
what can be wrong??? is there a kind of relais that turns motor on when i depress "wash"-button?? could it be that it is this relais? where is it located?

then an other problem:
it doesnt matter what button on AC-panel is depresst my blower works like high position, if i push "off" button it doesnt stop and blows like high......

this problem i dont understand, it came from now to now????

thanks a lot for your ideas

adrian

Crazy Caddy Owner
06-28-10, 04:35 AM
hey i got a 1990 sedan deville..its had 2 alternators put in in the last week
everytime it will sit there an charger then i just fries the alternator..went to napa they say these are what they call for to use on this motor..just need help please dont know why its over energizing my alternator wont last but 4 mins..charges for a few then its toast..thank u

Cadillac_Fan
06-28-10, 05:14 PM
Adrian12, I had this problem on my '88 Brougham. The electrical tech at the Cadillac dealer told me I needed a new "park" switch / circuit, which is located in the motor housing (I believe) for the wipers.

It's an aggrivating problem, yet one that is repairable.

Adrian12
06-30-10, 02:04 PM
Adrian12, I had this problem on my '88 Brougham. The electrical tech at the Cadillac dealer told me I needed a new "park" switch / circuit, which is located in the motor housing (I believe) for the wipers.

It's an aggrivating problem, yet one that is repairable.

hi

i got my wipers work wellnow :) i opend everything underhood, cleaned it and made some contacts new. now park works, washer and wiper :)

but i've still the problem with my blower motor

it runs and runs and runs.

i had a look into the service manual, but it is not exactly for my problem :(

they always talk about a "programmer" near the glove box, but i don't find anything there and i dont know why there should be an open in the programmer???

maybe someone can help me.
blower gets all time a +12 V on one pin. and with ignition on the second pin is ground, so some part must give ground or an open to set the blower working or not....

but how to check?? thanks a lot

carnut
07-02-10, 12:46 AM
The blower problem is the POWER MODULE under hood in the large plastic heater box. It controls blower fan speeds and when it shorts it defaults by staying on at full speed. Its held in by 3 maybe 4 6 mm nuts and lifts out straight up. If you disconnect the multi wire plug to it the blower will stop. You dont have a programmer problem.

Adrian12
07-02-10, 04:20 AM
The blower problem is the POWER MODULE under hood in the large plastic heater box. It controls blower fan speeds and when it shorts it defaults by staying on at full speed. Its held in by 3 maybe 4 6 mm nuts and lifts out straight up. If you disconnect the multi wire plug to it the blower will stop. You dont have a programmer problem.

hi, thx this sounds great :)

but how can i check the power module? buying one from USA to AUSTRIA is expensive for a try only.... is there a possibility???

thanks a lot :)

carnut
07-02-10, 02:21 PM
IF YOU UNPLUG IT AND THE BLOWER STOPS. Its a faulty module!!

Adrian12
07-04-10, 05:22 PM

okay i see :) thats the fact. i plug off the big connector and blower motor stops... hmm i'll have a look for a new part :)

thanks a lot i'll let u all know about solution ;)

adrian

Adrian12
07-21-10, 05:16 PM

today i got my new power module...
i put it in and the blower still don't stops :'(

what can i do??? whats wrong with it? :hmm: :hmm:

thanks a lot

outsider
07-21-10, 05:22 PM
could the short be somewhere else? maybe the wires going to the module? Just an idea...maybe someone with a service manual can give you some more details on how to check?

sven914
07-21-10, 07:16 PM
Looking at my diagnostic schematic, it looks like, if the ignition is off, and the blower is still on, then the correct procedure is replacing the Power Module.

But the Tan wire that runs from the Power Module to the blower can also cause this problem. I would say that wire is shorted to ground, so replace it.

*Note: The wires may different colors on your car. The Tan wire is the blower motor's ground wire and appears to be linked to a second connector on the Power Module.

Adrian12
07-21-10, 07:21 PM
Looking at my diagnostic schematic, it looks like, if the ignition is off, and the blower is still on, then the correct procedure is replacing the Power Module.

But the Tan wire that runs from the Power Module to the blower can also cause this problem. I would say that wire is shorted to ground, so replace it.

*Note: The wires may different colors on your car. The Tan wire is the blower motor's ground wire and appears to be linked to a second connector on the Power Module.

the problem is with ignition on and AC-control panel off.

with ignition off the blower goes out, but why has my blower with off on the control panel a ground connection through power module? power module has to know that off is depressed and must shut off?

and i dont know why the problem comes from one day to the other.... heat and cold work perfectly so the vacuum-parts for AC/heater core work perfectly.... so i'd say my programmer works fine too...

thanks for all your help

sven914
07-21-10, 09:14 PM
with ignition off the blower goes out, but why has my blower with off on the control panel a ground connection through power module? power module has to know that off is depressed and must shut off?

thanks for all your help

Ok... I misunderstood your first post.

The Blower Motor gets both a speed signal and ground from the Power Module. It receives a Blower speed input from the Programmer, which receives both a Blower Enable and Blower speed signal from the Control Head. The Blower motor is always receiving battery voltage, and if the insulation on the Tan (ground) wire is worn away, the blower will be grounded and will run at HI speed at all times.

But that's not you problem, so here is the diagnostic procedure so you can fix it. To do this, you need a DVOM.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/4000/4465/34999732274_large.jpg

Adrian12
07-22-10, 03:29 AM
if i do test like this i've blower on with ignition on -> yes -> no ground on the short tan wire -> replace power module (i did)

one question, can any of the fixing-bolts cause a short to ground? they are in the plastic housing arent they??

sven914
07-22-10, 05:50 AM
^The procedure says "Ignition OFF, Is the Blower ON? You keep saying NO, so the next step is to turn the Ignition ON and the ECC OFF, and see what happens.

I know it's a little confusing and hard to follow with everything so close together...

Adrian12
07-22-10, 07:14 AM
^The procedure says "Ignition OFF, Is the Blower ON? You keep saying NO, so the next step is to turn the Ignition ON and the ECC OFF, and see what happens.

I know it's a little confusing and hard to follow with everything so close together...

wooooooooow i'm sooooooooooooo stupid :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

i didn't read exactly and didn't see the word "ignition OFF"

sry i'll try in 3 hours when i'm at home from work and let u know :P

thanks a lot

your stupid adrian :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Adrian12
07-22-10, 02:56 PM
i got the problem solved....

the orange cable has a connector between blower and power module...

the connector was bad :)

now it works really fine

thanks a lot for the scan :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
adrian

sven914
07-22-10, 09:04 PM
You're welcome. Were all of the wire colors the same?

Adrian12
07-23-10, 03:53 AM
You're welcome. Were all of the wire colors the same?

yeah ;)

thx a lot :worship: :worship: :worship: