: Sold the V....and new owner blew up the diff

dannboss
06-28-10, 12:32 AM
As my other post mentions, I sold my modified V on Tuesday of last week. I get a text message from the new owner yesterday that the diff blew up. Didn't even own it 5 days! The car has the Gforce1320 half shaft on it too, and from what I understand it happened during a roll.

When I sold the car I felt bad for it (personification) because I had a feeling the motor would blow or it would be wrapped around a tree (poor car), and then this happens. I feel bad for the car. :(

smbstyle
06-28-10, 12:46 AM
wonder what caused it to blow up, especially having the Gforce axles on?? I'm curious as to what he did, or if he was just beating the piss out of it....

wcryan
06-28-10, 02:01 AM
or its just another 04-05 crap diff

whisler151
06-28-10, 09:33 AM
When one is over 500 to the wheels and dumps the clutch one should be very careful.

SS from the "Wood"
06-28-10, 08:26 PM
text him the link to our forum where he'll certainly find a wealth of info :)

JD03Cobra
06-28-10, 09:08 PM
I feel bad for the car too...that's about it.

MauiV
06-28-10, 09:14 PM
Mine may be about to hit the bricks soon. 3 years is about the normal stay for a car for me.

shadybx7
06-28-10, 10:01 PM
so is this the first report of "upgraded" axle(s) and still blowing the diff.. was the diff original? or a new 3rd gen model?

Kmajecki
06-28-10, 10:16 PM
Sucks for the car, but sounds like you may have gotten out just in time. More than likely the new owner was a little excited the first few days i bet.

tweeter81
06-28-10, 10:25 PM
so is this the first report of "upgraded" axle(s) and still blowing the diff.. was the diff original? or a new 3rd gen model?

Nope. Another forum member grenaded his diff after the aftermarket axles were installed.

What people need to realize is that the axles are not going to magically take away any of the abuse that had been done to the diff casing prior to their installation. If someone wheelhopped the diff even once before the axles, that abuse that could potentially lead to a failure down the road.

The new axles will cure the wheelhop, but not what happened before they were installed.

What I have said before as the best possible solution to the diff problem would be to buy a brand new generation 3 GM diff and install the axles immediately. If you never wheelhop the diff, it shouldn't go BOOM.

SkullV
06-29-10, 06:13 PM
When one is over 500 to the wheels and dumps the clutch one should be very careful.

Was he spraying off the line? Otherwise it was probably closer to 370 at the wheels when the diff blew.

maxspeed96ct
06-29-10, 08:53 PM
Was he spraying off the line? Otherwise it was probably closer to 370 at the wheels when the diff blew.

I think it says in his o.p. It happend from a roll.

But on a diffrent note I still can't believe people think by having axles the diff is unbreakable. Thats a misunderstanding, the axles prevent wheel hop which often does cause diff breakage. But it doesnt mean you can't pop a diff with them .

also like eveyone else is wondering, which gen diff was it ?

rand49er
06-29-10, 09:36 PM
I think it says in his o.p. It happend from a roll. ...

... also like eveyone else is wondering, which gen diff was it ?Was it from a minus 10 MPH roll? :canttalk:

1st gen diff would make sense. I've done a small number of 3500-RPM-maggied-clutch-dumps-then-mashed-the-throttle-to-redline, and my 2nd gen diff is doing fine. 'Course, that was with two axles. :bigroll:

dannboss
06-29-10, 11:35 PM
1st gen diff as far as I know. I think it was just a matter of a hard downshift to first between 30-35 and nailing the gas.

Max-Q
06-30-10, 08:52 PM
Tell him I've got a spare 06 diff I can sell him for a decent price.

I just sold my V on Saturday and never ended up needing my spare diff even with the maggie.

Zo6PwRd
07-01-10, 03:42 AM
was it this guy lmfao, just posted and look at the comment under the vid.

YouTube- Cts-V Destroys Rear end

RADARB8
07-01-10, 03:56 AM
or its just another 04-05 crap diff

Yeah, the axles work so good, that the diff. can't take the tq. then boom

Max-Q
07-01-10, 09:21 AM

YouTube- Cts-V Destroys Rear end (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpmoRtJniMM)

What a retard. Why wouldn't you lift when you started to feel all that wheel hop?

Hey Maxspeed, clean out your PM box!

whisler151
07-01-10, 10:29 AM
What a retard. Why wouldn't you lift when you started to feel all that wheel hop?

I dont think that was wheel hop. It looked and sounded like the rev limiter. Wheel hop would have been much more violent.

So lets get this straight...he left traction control on, sprayed a 125 shot of N2O in 1st gear all on the original diff? :thepan:

dannboss
07-01-10, 10:32 AM

YouTube- Cts-V Destroys Rear end

Yep, that's the one. It's a shame. Seeing that TC message stay on was like it was crying for mercy and received none. On a side note, this M5 is sweet!!!

whisler151
07-01-10, 11:21 AM
Yep, that's the one. It's a shame. Seeing that TC message stay on was like it was crying for mercy and received none.

I bet that sucks seeing your car get raped like that.

dannboss
07-01-10, 12:15 PM
Ha, yes it does. But a certain v10 takes the sting off.

CancerJCC
07-01-10, 01:14 PM
Ha, yes it does. But a certain v10 takes the sting off.

:) That is right unfortunately money talks whether the guy buying it is a complete idiot or not!

Zo6PwRd
07-02-10, 12:02 AM
another noob owning a car he cant handle. Im so paranoid about traction control before i spray i must check it 100 times lol. It also appeared to me to be teeth chattering wheel hop, mixed with a lot of rev limiter and a slight mix of TCS kicking on. Hes lucky the rear was all that went.

ProdigalSON
07-02-10, 04:36 PM
Tell him I've got a spare 06 diff I can sell him for a decent price.

I just sold my V on Saturday and never ended up needing my spare diff even with the maggie.

I may be interested in this - can you hit me up at cowboybjj@gmail.com if its still available?

Thanks!

Baltimore07V
07-03-10, 02:59 AM
I dont think that was wheel hop. It looked and sounded like the rev limiter. Wheel hop would have been much more violent.

So lets get this straight...he left traction control on, sprayed a 125 shot of N2O in 1st gear all on the original diff? :thepan:

I am on stock power, with an LS7 clutch, and I can't even imagine spraying in 1st. I would hit that limiter so fast, I don't think I could shift to hit 2nd before the fuel cut off hit. That guy is an idiot if he sprayed in 1st.

Also, since we are pointing out the stupidity. Did anyone else see the fact that someone in the car was not wearing a seatbelt. So lets count it off.....

1.) 125 Spray in 1st
2.) With Traction control in the ON position
3.) Did not let off the wheel hop
4.) With one or more people not weaing the seat belt.

I think the very best outcome was to blow the Diff before someone got severly hurt.

I fully expect to see pics of that car on wreckedexotics.com or whatever that website is in about 2 months.

whisler151
07-03-10, 09:01 AM
I fully expect to see pics of that car on wreckedexotics.com or whatever that website is in about 2 months.

I completely agree.

KaMaSuTrA
07-04-10, 11:37 PM
Cletus the Slackjaw V1 Owner!