: Gear selector door lock toggle - common issue?

MudAnt
06-27-10, 08:42 PM
A couple months back my doors stopped unlocking when I shift into park. Recently, the doors intermittently stop locking when I shift into drive. Both functions worked fine when I bought the car.
I don't really mind that much, but whenever I have passengers in the car, they keep pulling the door handles at the same time as I'm (manually) unlocking the doors, and it prevents the lock from fully unlocking.

Is this one of those issues that everyone has, like the power antenna or opera lights? If it's not too difficult, I'd like to fix this to avoid much confusion when passengers are in the car.

One other issue I have that doesn't really needs it own thread- is there a quick way to make the windows stop squeaking when they're moving up?

sven914
06-27-10, 10:29 PM
Looking at the wiring diagram, there are three things that could be causing your issue; either a malfunctioning gear selector switch, a bad enable relay, or a the door lock controller is dead. The gear selector switch is on the base of the steering wheel, the relay is on the back of the ALDL, and the controller is in the upper right hand part of the shroud. There is a diagnostic procedure to follow, to see what, if any component is malfunctioning.

The procedure requires a DVOM and a 12 volt OHM meter. The proceeder is as follows:

1. Sit in the driver's seat with doors closed and the Ignition Switch in RUN. Put the gear selector in D. If the doors do not unlock, leave the ignition switch in RUN go to step 3. Otherwise, continue to step 2.

2. Place gear selector in P. If all of the doors unlock, the system is functioning normally. If the doors do not unlock, skip to step 14.

3. Backprobe the Gear Selector Switch connector (the connector is connected to the light switch and had 8 cavities) cavity A with a test lampto chassis ground. If the lamp does not light, repair the open in the Orange wire. If the lamp does light, leave the ignition switch in run and continue to step 4.

4. Backprobe the Gear Selector Switch connector cavity B with a test lamp to chassis ground. If the lamp does not light, replace the Gear Selector Switch. If the lamp does light, leave the ignition switch in run and continue to step 5.

5. Backprobe the Lock Enable Relay connector (taped to the back of the ALDL) with a test lamp from cavity 2 to chassis ground. If the lamp does not light, repair the open in the Black and White wire. If the lamp does light, go to step 6.

6. (Turn ignition OFF) Disconnect the Lock Enable Relay connector. Disconnect the Automatic Door Lock Controller connector. Connect a DVOM from the Lock Enable Relay connector to chassis ground. Measure resistance. If the resistance is more than .03 OHMs, repair the open in the Black ground wire. If the reading is less than .03 OHMs, leave both connectors disconnected and continue to step 7.

7. Connect a DVOM from the Automatic Door Lock Controller connector cavity D to the Lock relay cavity 4. Measure resistance. If the reading is more than .03 OHMs, repair the open in the light green wire. If the reading is less than .03 OHMs, turn the ignition switch to RUN and place the Gear Selector into D and continue to step 8.

8. Reconnect the Loch Enable Relay connector. Connect a DVOM from the Automatic Door Lock Controller cavity 9 to chassis ground. Measure resistance. If the reading is more than .03 OHMs, replace the Lock Enable Relay. If the reading is less than .03 OHMs, reconnect the Automatic Door Lock Controller and continue to Step 9.

9. Backprobe the Automatic Door Lock Controller connector cavity E with a test lamp to chassis ground. If the lamp does not light, repair open in the Pink and Black wire. If the lamp lights, continue to step 10.

10. Disconnect the Automatic Door Lock Controller connector. Connect a DVOM from cavity A to chassis ground. Measure resistance. If the reading is more than .03 OHMs, repair the open in the Black ground wire. If the reading is less than .03 OHMs, leave Controller disconnected and continue to step 11.

11. Connect a DVOM from the Automatic Door Lock Controller connector, cavity C to chassis ground. Measure resistance and keep the doors closed. If the resistance is LESS than .03 OHMs, repair the short in the white wire or the Door Jamb Switch. If the reading is MORE than .03 OHMs, continue to step 12.

12. Connect a DVOM from the Automatic Door Lock Controller connector cavity H to the LH Front Seat Switch connector cavity A. Have some one sit in the seat. Measure resistance. If the reading is more than .03 OHMs, repair the open in the Yellow and Black wire, or the Seat Switch. if the reading is less than .03 OHMs, continue to step 13.

13. Reconnect the Automatic Door Lock Controller connector. Backprobe the connector from Cavity H to chassis ground with a test lamp. If the lamp does not light, replace the Automatic Door Lock Controller. If the lamp lights momentarily, repair the open in the yellow wire.

14. Disconnect Gear Selector Switch (a second one located behind the Instrument Panel). Connect a DVOM from connector cavity B to chassis ground. Measure resistance. If the reading is more than .03 OHMs, repair the open in the Black ground wire. If the reading is less than .03 OHMs , reconnect the Gear Selector Switch connector and go to step 15.

15. Disconnect the Automatic Door Lock Controller connector. Connect a DVOM from Controller connector cavity B to chassis ground. Measure resistance with the selector in P. If the resistance is more than .03 OHMs, repair the open in the Light Blue wire or the Gear Selector Switch. If the reading is less than .03 OHMs, reconnect the Controller connector and continue to step 16.

16. Backprobe the Automatic Door Lock Controller connector with a test lamp, from cavity F to chassis ground. Turn the Ignition Switch to RUN and place the Gear Selector in P. If the lamp does not light, replacethe Automatic Door Lock Controller. If the lamp lights momentarily, Repair the open in the Black wire that runs between the Automatic Door Lock Controller and the connector behind the dash, on the right side.

NOTE: Being that you have two problems (no locking in D and no unlocking in P), you need restart the diagnostic procedure once you get the doors to dock in Drive.

mjs182004
06-28-10, 11:21 AM
hummm, I didn't even know that the doors should lock/unlock in and out of park. either mine didn't come with this feature of mine is also broken.

sven914
06-28-10, 01:48 PM
^Same way with mine. There's nothing on the RPO about the door locks, so next time something in dash needs replacing, I need to go digging around for some hardware.

MudAnt
06-28-10, 06:54 PM
hummm, I didn't even know that the doors should lock/unlock in and out of park. either mine didn't come with this feature of mine is also broken.

Mine used to lock in drive, then unlock in park, when I bought the car last summer. About a month or 2 later it stopped unlocking in park, and now it sometimes doesn't lock in drive. I think it's the gear selector switch, because sometimes it works if you wiggle the gear shift a bit.

Thanks for the info though, I'll do that procedure someday when I have nothing to do.

Cadillacboy
06-30-10, 11:03 AM
I had this happened twice on me . In addition that failure my key fobs stopped working too . Each time I had my neg bat cable unplugged and re hooked it .It worked brilliantly then