: Question about the tape deck in my '00 Regal.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-27-10, 08:18 PM
So in both the Astro and the Regal, I've got tape decks, so for my iPod, I've got a tape deck adaptor so I can play it though the tape deck. Well I use one adaptor between both cars and it works just fine in the Astro, but it does not work in the Regal. If I put the adaptor in the Regal, it'll read it for a couple of seconds, then kick it right back out. So I'm thinking that the tape deck is dirty. How can I clean it?

Stingroo
06-27-10, 08:24 PM
They make tape deck cleaners, just like a CD laser lens cleaner. It's basically a tape that you put some sort of liquid stuff in and play it like a regular tape.

Such as:

Amazon.com: PHILIPS USA PH62020 Wet-type Cassette Head Cleaner: Electronics

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-27-10, 08:28 PM
Ok thanks, I'll swing up to best buy later on and take a gander at what they've got.

Jesda
06-27-10, 08:30 PM
Usually, the better tape adapters are reversible. There should be "coin screws" you can easily remove (your thumb nail will work too). You can then open the case and move the audio wire to the other side. Do that, then reinsert the tape in the other direction.

I strongly suggest using the Philips tape adapter, $10 at Wal-Mart.

77CDV
06-27-10, 10:15 PM
Ok thanks, I'll swing up to best buy later on and take a gander at what they've got.

Or you can just use a q-tip dunked in rubbing alcohol, and clean the tape head, pickups, and capstan shaft.

The tape deck in the Buick should have auto-reverse, so I can't see why reversing the adaptor should make a difference.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-27-10, 11:05 PM
Yeah, it always auto reverses before it kicks the cassette out.

Jesda
06-28-10, 12:28 AM
The tape deck in the Buick should have auto-reverse, so I can't see why reversing the adaptor should make a difference.

It often does. Tape players, especially in older cars, have spent a decade shaking and vibrating their way out of alignment. Flipping the tape could cause it to catch.

This has sometimes fixed the problem in the Vandura, Seville, and Q45. Its one of the reasons why tape adapters are designed to be reversible. The sound reproduction may change on the other side as well, for better or worse, because the alignment of the tape head is off.

ga_etc
06-28-10, 01:33 AM
The tape deck in the Eldorado would do the same thing to me. Flipped the adapter over and it stopped. Sounds stupid, but it works.

drewsdeville
06-28-10, 01:20 PM
I had the same problem in my '90 Eldo, but flipping the adapter never helped the issue and the older matching Delco "Symphony Sound" decks are getting hard to find. Instead I got a used disc changer that broadcasts over an unused FM radio station. Threw it in the trunk and said "good enough".

MacMuse
06-28-10, 06:13 PM
Since the adapter does not contain actual tape, and the auto-reverse mechanism relies on the tension to the tape caused by hitting the end of a reel of tape - I'd guess the hubs on the adapter are a little too snug and giving the impression of an end-of-reel condition. Flip as suggested may help, otherwise chech the hubs of the adapter - do they spin freely? Maybe a little graphite powder may help - work it in well and knock any excess before inserting into the deck.

eldorado99
06-28-10, 09:00 PM
You can also get a better quality audio input by splicing the audio signal wire with a standard headphone jack and plugging your ipod straight into your car's stock deck. I did this on my GTP and I get much nicer quality than while using a tape deck. If you want you can splice in a switch as well so you don't lose your tape functionality.

JimmyH
06-28-10, 09:23 PM
does your head unit have cd changer controls? If so, there are companies out there that made ipod-to-cdchanger adapters for about every make known.

and tape deck? is that what the rectangular slot on my radio is for?

Stingroo
06-28-10, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I hear they were popular like, before I was born. But I've only heard legends.

(Actually, I own two cassettes... Blink-182's All the Small Things and the Beastie Boys classic Licensed to Ill)

dwight.j.carter
06-28-10, 09:36 PM
I'm using fm modulator now you can look up ideal channel to use on sirius website. I have the monster one it is older but it works.

JimmyH
06-28-10, 09:36 PM
"License to ill" wow, that brings back some memories. I have a box of tapes buried somewhere in my basement.

The last time I used one of these tape adapters was back when I had my 79 Olds. I used it to play CDs on my little Sony walkman cd player, which was mounted to a shock absorbing tray stand, on a flexible gooseneck arm that was bolted to the transmission tunnel. which went through a hole I cut into the Kmart plastic console/cup holder.
Wow. That seems like a lifetime ago.

Stingroo
06-28-10, 09:48 PM
Yeah man that album is a classic! :thumbsup:

Jesda
06-29-10, 01:12 AM
does your head unit have cd changer controls? If so, there are companies out there that made ipod-to-cdchanger adapters for about every make known.

If you have a Blackberry, the slot doubles as a cell phone holder.

greencadillacmatt
06-29-10, 05:02 AM

I thought that was where the VHS goes. :confused: