: Whats Tire pressure did you use at the drag strip for best traction?

Moparman4444
06-27-10, 11:22 AM
Was wondering what tire pressure worked best you people to get traction with stock PS2 tires. I ran a 1.73 on 32psi in 78 degree weather. Im hoping others have experimented with this and can shed some helpeful hints so that the next time I hit the track I can do better.

newcadman
06-27-10, 09:08 PM
You're joking, right! ;about improving on your 1.73 60' time with your stock PS2 Michelin tires.
I'd bet there are fewer than the number of fingers on your one hand of CTS-V owners who have managed to run in the 1.7's on stock tires, let alone a 1.73!
As I'm sure you will learn there are CTS-V owners who would kill for that 1.73 60' time.
If don't want to believe how good a time it really is ,then try duplicating it the next time at the track.
Personally, I think the only way you are going to improve that 60' time is with a set of drag radial tires and at present nobody makes them in a (285/35/19) size to fit our stock wheels.

mpouls1
06-27-10, 10:36 PM
Um, yeah. What was your trap speed and ET? Gary Wells has a running tally of strip passes. Nobody is even close. We should be asking you.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/197303-my-second-1-4-mile-results-2.html#post2210857

gnxs
06-28-10, 10:23 AM
You're joking, right! ;about improving on your 1.73 60' time with your stock PS2 Michelin tires.
I'd bet there are fewer than the number of fingers on your one hand of CTS-V owners who have managed to run in the 1.7's on stock tires, let alone a 1.73!
As I'm sure you will learn there are CTS-V owners who would kill for that 1.73 60' time.
If don't want to believe how good a time it really is ,then try duplicating it the next time at the track.
Personally, I think the only way you are going to improve that 60' time is with a set of drag radial tires and at present nobody makes them in a (285/35/19) size to fit our stock wheels.
:werd:

Moparman4444
06-28-10, 12:12 PM
Seriously guys, this is a legit question. Other cars many NOT have the same horsepower as my car but could have had improvement in their times with after changing tire pressure. Thats what I am looking for!

All I can say is that it felt like there were better 1/4 mile and 60ft times in the car that a more experianced driver could extract. Some of you may say that a 1.73 is a good 60ft time comparing it to all other cars but are all the other comparable cars running the same HP?.

I know these cars were not ment to be drag cars but how about helping out a fellow member with some constructive help.

gnxs
06-28-10, 12:47 PM
Seriously guys, this is a legit question. Other cars many NOT have the same horsepower as my car but could have had improvement in their times with after changing tire pressure. Thats what I am looking for!

All I can say is that it felt like there were better 1/4 mile and 60ft times in the car that a more experianced driver could extract. Some of you may say that a 1.73 is a good 60ft time comparing it to all other cars but are all the other comparable cars running the same HP?.

I know these cars were not ment to be drag cars but how about helping out a fellow member with some constructive help.
There are so many variables (track prep, weather, rwhp, driver, car prep, etc.), that there is no way to possibly offer anything conclusively useful for you given your numbers.

After years and years of drag racing with various cars and running all types of tires, tranny combos, suspension setups, etc. I ultimately look at two facts in your post: 1) running stock PS2's, 2) 1.73 60 ft. .... ... and my experience tells me that that ultimately that's damn near as quick as you're likely to get. Yea, I know somebody else has gone 1.69 and maybe somebody else out there has also gone quicker than 1.73, but ultimately (like newcadman said), your 1.73 is about as quick as can reasonably be expected on the factory rubber. Last time I ran my car I had similar power as you and was overjoyed to be able to pull several 1.77-1.78's, but what good is me telling you I was running 24-25 psi, when you're already a few hundredths quicker. :noidea:

You're best bet is to experiment yourself and see what results you get. Start where you ran last time and drop 2psi each pass while trying to stabilize as many of the other variables as possible (burnout style, cooldown period, lane choice, etc.)

My $0.02.