: Wont start in rain

csbuckn
06-27-10, 12:18 AM
So I have a weird problem right now. It rained extremely heavy last night and I go to start my car(90 olds 350) today and it just clicks, I dont lose power to anything, radio doesnt reset, just clicks at the starter. Tried to jump it but get the same click. Thinking the rain might have something to do with it. Took another car and havent looked into it yet.

Then, my friend with the 88 comes over and the storm comes again tonight. He goes to leave after the rain has started and he gets the same click. Wiggled the cables and still get a click, still have full power to everything with no dimming and radio doesnt reset either. He started his car about an hour before the rain and it ran just fine.

Neither one have had any type of battery problems and both have had yellowtops for months with no problems. Now we are both sitting on the couch wondering whats going on, maybe someone here may have solved this problem before. At least Machida and Shogun are about to fight again.

csbuckn
06-27-10, 02:11 PM
So one car is back on the road. Took the starter off, tested good, put it back on, started right up. Thinking moisture built up on the ignition wire. We'll see if it works for mine when I get home.

csbuckn
06-28-10, 02:31 AM
Worked on mine tonight. Took the starter off...the coil was coming loose from the starter housing and the ignition wire was loose. Put it all back together and it started up fine.

greencadillacmatt
06-28-10, 03:14 AM
Glad you got it all figured out. If that happens with my Olds once it's running, I'll now know what to check first. Thanks!

outsider
06-28-10, 09:14 AM
I've never had this problem with my olds 307...always starts great even in heavy rain.

The-Dullahan
06-28-10, 09:03 PM
Haven't seen this thread until just now. Nice to see you found the problem, since nobody else seemed to find this thread either.

Never had that problem, but still don't need any more rain lately, due to the damned leak thing. Oh well, it's such a minor leak it only left a spot of water on the seat, but still.

You use a yellow top?

drmenard
06-28-10, 10:36 PM
Your car is trying to tell you it just does not like wet roads...

Stingroo
06-28-10, 10:45 PM
I LOOOOOVE wet roads. :thumbsup:

csbuckn
06-28-10, 11:00 PM
Your car is trying to tell you it just does not like wet roads...

think so. It leaks so bad.

Dul, I have a yellowtop and the 88 has two yellowtops and a 195amp alternator. We are pretty big into car stereo. I got 147db at the Dunwoody Car Show but a blazer got me at 148db, then a Tahoe had like eight 12s and got somewhere around 158db. Thats crazy, cant have any heart conditions over 155db or else... Fun stuff

Stingroo
06-28-10, 11:01 PM
I would LOVE to deck out the wagon some day... I love car audio.

What do you run?

csbuckn
06-28-10, 11:32 PM
Rockford bd1500 and two 15" Eclipse in a sealed box. I couldnt imagine this setup in a wagon. Unfortunately, I can only run these subs at 4 ohms so its only half power right now.

The-Dullahan
06-29-10, 12:22 AM
I LOOOOOVE wet roads. :thumbsup:

Long wheelbase + wet roads = AWESOME.

The-Dullahan
06-29-10, 12:23 AM
Sounds fun, reminiscent of the way my car audio was decked out. Alas, now she's just running the high-amp alt, two batteries, two subs and six speakers. What happened to me? the two subs will be coming out soon, but there will be an eventual revamp of the audio.

Stingroo
06-29-10, 12:41 AM
Rockford bd1500 and two 15" Eclipse in a sealed box. I couldnt imagine this setup in a wagon. Unfortunately, I can only run these subs at 4 ohms so its only half power right now.

That's pretty good. I had a line on buying 3 Kicker L7's from a friend of mine for like, DIRT CHEAP.. and I did, but I ended up reselling them within a week because something came up at the house.

Cash down the drain for the loss. :(

outsider
06-29-10, 08:47 AM
in my 87 I have 2 15" kickers in a sealed box...sounds pretty good with rock music and sounds good with rap/hip hop/whatever they call it...I don't listen to that crap though.

The-Dullahan
06-30-10, 12:16 AM
in my 87 I have 2 15" kickers in a sealed box...sounds pretty good with rock music and sounds good with rap/hip hop/whatever they call it...I don't listen to that crap though.

That's how I feel.