: Dealer did Parking Brake shoes; still engages at the floor..

smbstyle
06-25-10, 07:27 PM
Took my car into a local dealer service department which did my katech short shifter, and told them that I needed my parking brake adjusted as well, because I have to push it all the way to the floor to get it to engage. They looked at it and said the shoes themselves were completely worn down, and needed to be replaced. I had them replace the parking brake shoes, and got home today, and still engages all the way down to the floor... once it's down at the bottom it holds fine, but i'd like it to engage towards the top. Can the parking brake be adjusted to the point where it engages at the top of the pedal, or is this pretty much the norm for them to engage that low? Not sure if I should worry about taking it back to them and complaining if there isnt much they can really do....

yamablaster024
06-25-10, 07:47 PM
every V ive been in has been like this. Cadillac never thought this car would be a manual so they just gave it a shitty parking brake. How does a parking brake shoe wear they are only put on when the car is stopped. Sounds like they just wanted to get u for some pads. Its a cable system, im sure u could somehow shorten it or put some kind of spacer in there if u wanted to jerry-rigg it.

smbstyle
06-25-10, 07:53 PM
every V ive been in has been like this. Cadillac never thought this car would be a manual so they just gave it a shitty parking brake. How does a parking brake shoe wear they are only put on when the car is stopped. Sounds like they just wanted to get u for some pads. Its a cable system, im sure u could somehow shorten it or put some kind of spacer in there if u wanted to jerry-rigg it.

the P.O. was some older guy, he could have driven it with the parking brake on. I'm very close with the dealerships owner, and they know that, so I doubt they'd try to pull one over on me...

tweeter81
06-25-10, 08:11 PM
I had my rear parking brake shoes replaced under warranty as well. I have never driven the car with the parking brake on. Apparently they wear down, don't know how. My experience was the exact same as the original poster's.

CadzillaTN
06-25-10, 08:12 PM
the P.O. was some older guy, he could have driven it with the parking brake on. I'm very close with the dealerships owner, and they know that, so I doubt they'd try to pull one over on me...

the owner doesn't wrench on the car. 99.9999995% chance it got half-assed.

its purely an adjustment especially with new pads, but to do it properly is a major pita.. the dealer did it for me once and it was awesome, for about 3 days. my city is flat as a pancake.

you can do a bunch of half engagements and it will tighten up a bit allowing you to get a nice bite, but you'll look and feel like a fool especially with passengers. just jam it to the floor, raise, repeat. let off brake bit...nope. apply brake. jam ebrake to floor. raise. repeat.

ewill3rd
06-25-10, 08:56 PM
The parking brake is a "drum in hat" design so technically it is a "shoe" that goes inside the rotor "hat".
They don't wear normally, from time to time they drag and I have had some that after multiple adjustments needed new shoes but they still had good material on them.
The trucks would drop the shoes down and eat them so they needed them much more. The V's don't do this.
Most of the time the shoes are just not properly adjusted.
Some people just don't get how to do it.