: "B" pillar opra lites

mike1pat
06-25-10, 11:53 AM
Hi, does anyone know where I can get a set of "B" pillar opra lites for my 85 RWD fleetwood? I have just about everything else fixed. All thats left are the 6 body fillers and windshield washer pump. Thanks, Mike

MudAnt
06-25-10, 06:59 PM
Unfortunately, these opera lights die after about 20 years. Since they're electroluminescent tape instead of just light bulbs, they get damaged by the sun. It seems all the NOS ones in the world are gone, and any you might find in a wreckers are sure to be dead as well.
If you want working opera lights, you'll have to join the forum-wide (well, the RWD section anyway) search for some aftermarket lights that fit in the B-Pillar and don't look out of place. As far as I know, no-one has come up with a solution that gives a stock look.

mike1pat
06-26-10, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the info and reply. I registered the other day, what do you mean by joining the world wide forum? Thanks Mike

MudAnt
06-26-10, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the info and reply. I registered the other day, what do you mean by joining the world wide forum? Thanks Mike

I just meant that mostly everyone in this section is looking for a solution to this problem. Some have installed LED opera lights, but I'm waiting for someone to find something that looks stock.

mike1pat
06-27-10, 09:33 AM
I am scapping a 83 grand marquis. It has 2 regular bulb opra lites and the shape a size of the lite in real close to what is on my fleetwood. Look around and find 1 and see what you think. They are still on the road and certainly in the bone yards. Even though they are 12v it mite be better than nothing. Mike

KYCOLONEL
07-25-10, 04:58 PM
Unfortunately, these opera lights die after about 20 years. Since they're electroluminescent tape instead of just light bulbs, they get damaged by the sun. It seems all the NOS ones in the world are gone, and any you might find in a wreckers are sure to be dead as well.
If you want working opera lights, you'll have to join the forum-wide (well, the RWD section anyway) search for some aftermarket lights that fit in the B-Pillar and don't look out of place. As far as I know, no-one has come up with a solution that gives a stock look.

I'm working on a solution to this problem. I love opera lights, and mine are out as well. I'll be sure to post every detail when I'm finished using LED's and simple wiring. Might be several weeks though.

CBodyFan
07-25-10, 05:15 PM
Would these electro-luminesent sheets work inside the opera lamp housing?

http://www.microstru.com/Experimenter-Kits.html

The-Dullahan
07-26-10, 09:32 AM
Almost anything WOULD work in there, it is just a matter of how you propose to get them inside of them. The lenses are not meant to just snap on and off, so snapping is probably just what they will do.

I have a top secret plan in the works for my opera lights...

Warren_R
07-27-10, 05:14 AM
Any chance of an info leak further down the road? :cool2:

Laneseja
07-27-10, 09:27 PM
I really would love to get mine working again on my 1991 RWD Brougham. Keep us posted if anything can be done that would work and can be done by someone who doesn't have a lot of mechanical skill. Thanks!