: Not to strike any alarm, but, those with 2010 step in please.

wait4me
06-25-10, 10:24 AM
Well, it has come to my attention, that certain builds might be REALLY REALLY low on transmission fluid.

A customer car came to me yesterday, he only has 3k on the clock, and his trans was acting really really odd, but at wot it was perfect.

We checked the fluid in his trans and it was almost 3 quarts low!!!!!

That is bad considering that means about 4 quarts left for the pan...

After the fluid was put in, the trans was totally different.

Another thing to note, that his car was also Very low on diff fluid also.

Just keeping you guys informed.

Capacity of pan when new filter is replaced is 7.6 quarts.

To check fluid, have engine running and car level. Pull drain plug on the bottom of the pan, if it drips some fluid out, it is full. If you dont get any drip, then there is a plug on the passenger side of the pan, Shut off the engine, pull the plug, then the other plug under it. then fill fluid into that hole. Put in 1 quart at a time, and then start the engine and pull that plug.

M-1028
06-25-10, 11:10 AM
If you pull the drain plug on the bottom of the pan, won't it "drip" regaurdless of how much fluid is in the tranny? Unless the pan is empty.

cbloveday
06-25-10, 11:25 AM
Another reason why I have had my diff fluid changed twice and transmission fluid once in 9,000 miles.
Going forward, I will change both every 15,000 miles. And yes this is more frequent than the service suggests.

I like checking condition of magnetic plugs for shavings etc. Tell you alot about what is going on in there.

wait4me
06-25-10, 11:29 AM
If you pull the drain plug on the bottom of the pan, won't it "drip" regaurdless of how much fluid is in the tranny? Unless the pan is empty.

No, It has a lip inside that only allows what is over full to come out.

The Tony Show
06-25-10, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the heads-up, Jesse.

demorgan59
06-25-10, 11:41 AM
Thanks Jesse for taking a bunch of time yesterday to track down this problem. Seems like everything is working correctly now. I really like the low throttle tweek you put in there. It works great.

The plug in the bottom of the pan is not a drain plug. It is a fluid level plug. There is a vertical tube connected to the bottom of the pan above the plug which acts as a fluid weir. It is at a height such that when the fluid is at the correct level with the engine running, fluid just flows over the top of the tube and runs out of the pan.

Everyone who hasn't already checked their trans fluid level should do so ASAP just to make sure theirs is filled correctly.

shade
06-25-10, 12:49 PM
What symptoms was the transmission exhibiting

CIWS
06-25-10, 01:47 PM
Great, makes one wonder what the 2011 builds will have in store.

V&Vette
06-25-10, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I will check tonight and let everyone know.

lavaman
06-25-10, 02:10 PM
Looks like I'll be checking the fluid level and then changing out the fluid/filter when my B & B exhaust arrives from Jesse.

:helpless: I have such a week mind and so easily influenced!! :helpless:

I'll chime in then as to the level of the fluid in my 09 w/ 13,000 miles.

Thanks for the heads up!

garfin
06-25-10, 05:32 PM
Thanks for passing this on...
Actually just checked both tranny and diff levels this afternoon in my '10 6MN (build date Feb 3/10) and they're both at the correct level.

Best regards,

Elie

Hawkeye2
06-25-10, 05:43 PM
Good post, but, in my naive mind, isn't checking fluid levels part of PDI?

wait4me
06-25-10, 05:51 PM
This applies to auto transmissions. It was just doing some odd things while normal driving like flare ups, and just slow shifting and odd things.

snzuloz
06-25-10, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the heads up Jesse, will check out my 2010 this weekend and make sure everythings ok. Pretty sure this is part of the P.D.I. that's supposed to be done prior to getting the new car... maybe some people assume everythings fine with new vehicles when they arrive at the dealerships.

wait4me
06-25-10, 05:58 PM
Well, at the dealer i took it to, they had to look up the instructions online. SO that would mean they havent done one yet, and these transmissions have been out since 2005

Jeffrey
06-25-10, 06:09 PM
Hi,

Should those of us with 09's be concerned?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

GMX322V S/C
06-25-10, 06:20 PM
This is aggravating. I mean, if we aren't provided the simple means to perform this maintenance check (read: dipstick), the dealers bloody well should be doing it right for us! Just like the differential fluid level--it's not something we can just check at a fill-up, so it should be prepped correctly by the dealer :mad:

Jeffrey
06-25-10, 06:27 PM
This is aggravating. I mean, if we aren't provided the simple means to perform this maintenance check (read: dipstick), the dealers bloody well should be doing it right for us! Just like the differential fluid level--it's not something we can just check at a fill-up, so it should be prepped correctly by the dealer :mad:

Hi,

Absolutely! There is no excuse for this, at all. GM should not be selling an entry level vehicle without accurate fluids, much less a performance vehicle.

Hopefully, this is an extreme exception and is very rare.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

neuronbob
06-25-10, 06:31 PM
I thought this was an issue for 2009s as well. We had some reports of low diff fluid levels last year, too. I think everyone with a V should have their level checked. I had mine checked the last time I visited the dealer for an oil change.

IBNR
06-27-10, 01:37 AM
To check fluid, have engine running and car level. Pull drain plug on the bottom of the pan, if it drips some fluid out, it is full. If you dont get any drip, then there is a plug on the passenger side of the pan, Shut off the engine, pull the plug, then the other plug under it. then fill fluid into that hole. Put in 1 quart at a time, and then start the engine and pull that plug.

As a practical matter, is a lift required for this? Not much room under there with the tires on the floor, and the car is not level on front ramps.... :thepan:

snzuloz
06-27-10, 01:57 AM
As a practical matter, is a lift required for this? Not much room under there with the tires on the floor, and the car is not level on front ramps.... :thepan:

Yeah a hoist is easiest, you could drive the car on front ramps and then jack up the back end to level it off again so you can get underneath and do your checks (use jack stands for the back end). If that doesn't sound good maybe take it in to a lube shop if they are not busy and have them look at it for a small fee... I'm sure not to many places are going to be familiar with checking the levels either.

chopmeat
06-27-10, 03:14 AM
Yeah, I just did the oil, and the diff fluid again.
The oil looked like black mud.
After 7,000 miles I think I changed the oil like 8 times lol and the diff probably 3 times.
I have mods also so I just do it.

ALQ
06-27-10, 04:48 AM
Mine is an 09 build, i remember when Jesse was over here in AbuDhabi, when we met he had pointed out to me that there were was a problem with my car in build batch, recall on spark plugs...
and i also wanted to point out that my 09 also was low on diff oil, and trans oil, when i first got it..

nradcad
06-27-10, 12:58 PM
This applies to auto transmissions. It was just doing some odd things while normal driving like flare ups, and just slow shifting and odd things.

I've experienced this too. I've even posted about it in another thread. I'm gonna check my fluid asap. I'm gonna be pissed if it's low. Is it not getting filled right from factory, or should I expect to 'consume' some fluid? (I highly doubt the latter, but I'm trying to be hopeful GM quality isn't that bad).:rant2:

demorgan59
06-27-10, 01:58 PM
Direct from the 2010 Owners's Manual:

How to Check Automatic Transmission Fluid

It is not necessary to check the transmission fluid level. A transmission fluid leak is the only reason for fluid loss. If a leak occurs, take the vehicle to the dealer/retailer service department and have it repaired as soon as possible.

There is a special procedure for checking and changing the transmission fluid. Because this procedure is difficult, it should be done at the dealer/retailer service department. Contact your dealer/retailer for additional information or the procedure can be found in the service manual. To purchase a service manual, see Service Publications Ordering Information on page 12-12.

Change the fluid and filter at the intervals listed in Scheduled Maintenance on page 10-2, and be sure to use the fluid listed in Recommended Fluids and Lubricants on page 10-6.

mugatu22
06-27-10, 02:09 PM
LOL

"How To Check Automatic Transmission Fluid"...aka "Sorry, We're Not Going To Tell You How; Visit Dealer."

Razorecko
06-27-10, 05:42 PM
lol, I don't know I liked the part that says " It is not necessary to check the transmission fluid level. A transmission fluid leak is the only reason for fluid loss " ....Because if your rear diff starts grinding away like broken blender it just means that your air intake cause it to blow.....not the fact that the idiot at the factor/dealer didnt check the fluids level.....This just shows that everyone should change/check their fluid levels within the first couple hundred miles of owning their V's let alone waiting until after performance mods are added

2baddogs
07-03-10, 01:27 PM
I have an 09 with 3k miles. Ive noticed some anomalies when the car shifts but being the first perf car Ive owned with an auto, didn't know if that was just normal. Anyway, this post really intrigued me due to the experience I was having.

With the car on the lift and running, I pulled plug and the oil came out like the engine oil when the plug is pulled. Overfilled maybe? Can someone confirm it is suppose to just be a drip?

(didnt loose much as I quickly put the plug back in)

FWIW, driving with the trans in sport mode has made a huge improvement over the normal trans operation. I like the shifts much better.

Thanks for the heads up Jesse.