: Really angry about closed racing threads!

Tony407
06-25-10, 12:45 AM
Why in the world are these threads being locked? Yet the moderator(s) let threads containing racing videos and discussions about "kills" to remain open?

This makes no sense to me. The 4-page thread (I read every post) was very interesting, thought provoking, and surprisingly respectful. None of it was offensive and it had everything to do with what we all want to discuss: Our cars and what we want (or don't want) to do with them. If you don't want to read the thread, don't click on it.

If you're going to curtail these threads, then maybe we shouldn't be allowed to talk about racing at all. Or speeding. Or how to hide our tunes from the dealerships. You get my point? Heck...let's just take the V section off Cadillacforums.com because our cars only worsen our addiction to fossil fuels. Stupid, right? Exactly. Let these discussions stay up and running. They're not hurting anyone.

This just really pisses me off.

Tony

mugatu22
06-25-10, 01:41 AM
+1

You may have noticed an absurd reference in another thread that the User Terms states that we can't talk about any illegal activities...str**t ra*ing being one of them. (Yes I added the asterisks; don't want to talk about illegal stuff!)

Street racing is illegal, and thus is not talked about here. Anyone who is dumb enough to street race isn't going to be swayed by some argument on an Internet forum.

End of story, not open for debate.

I find this 100% hypocritical and absurd. The thread I started that "Tony" closed was about the perils and negatives of street ra*ing. There are countless posts BRAGGING about street "kills" and "takedowns" from many V owners here that are allowed to stay and become multi-page threads. :bigroll: Hypocrisy 101.

Tony407
06-25-10, 01:51 AM
+1

You may have noticed an absurd reference in another thread that the User Terms states that we can't talk about any illegal activities...str**t ra*ing being one of them. (Yes I added the asterisks; don't want to talk about illegal stuff!)

I find this 100% hypocritical and absurd. The thread I started that "Tony" closed was about the perils and negatives of street ra*ing. There are countless posts BRAGGING about street "kills" and "takedowns" from many V owners here that are allowed to stay and become multi-page threads. :bigroll: Hypocrisy 101.

Exactly. This is OUR forum, not the moderators! They are there to perform a function, and I am thankful for their presence most of the time. But this is ridiculous, hypocritical, and contradictory. Am I allowed to criticize a moderator? Or does that go against the user terms as well?

Tony

UnsafeAtAnySpd
06-25-10, 02:02 AM
A lot of illegal stuff is discussed on here. Removing your cats and then driving on the road is illegal for example.

mugatu22
06-25-10, 02:02 AM
I respect the job the moderators do on any forum.

It's a thankless volunteer job. Just hoping there was a bit more logic used in the threads we just discussed, and a consistent take on what's considered "ILLEGAL" and what isn't. Somehow kills, takedowns, no cats, race gas on the street and other topics discussed on this forum are not illegal?

GMX322V S/C
06-25-10, 02:17 AM
What seemed ironic about closing that last thread is I got the sense it was there to discourage and vilify street racing. Belonged in the Lounge anyway (not 2009+ CTS-V specific).

mugatu22
06-25-10, 02:18 AM
What seemed ironic about closing that last thread is I got the sense it was there to discourage and vilify street racing. Belonged in the Lounge anyway (not 2009+ CTS-V specific).

It was, I started it.

Maybe it should be in the Lounge. Good call.

Prof
06-25-10, 04:02 AM
Exactly. This is OUR forum, not the moderators!

Tony

Is this true? I think it is a business that operates for the purpose of supporting itself and probably driving a little revenue.

Just asking...I know on other forums, they may say that they exist for the benefit of the members...but the reality is that it is a for profit venture with the rules made by the owner.

But for the record I thought the thread in question was going well and the various positions were being stated in a pretty civil manner. But I know other "owners" of vehicle sites can do as they wish, and I presume the same is true here...and Mods probably operate with specific guidance from the owners, and yes, their jobs are thankless.

Gary Wells
06-25-10, 04:45 AM
Sorry to go against the grain of popular opinion, but FWIW & IMHO:
This forum belongs to some dude named Sal, what would ever make anybody think anything else.
As a general rule, moderators do perform a thankless task, of their own free will, spend their own time, and sometimes have to make "judgement calls" that they feel is in the best interest of the forum. They make their calls by guidelines established by the forum owners, precedents, what has worked well in the past, and / or what they think that the forum owner(s) would want them to do.
If we aren't allowed to talk about a certain subject, then so be it, and that I consider a small price to pay to belong to the best Cadillac forum in existence. Every forum has its weak points and its strong points. This forum has the strongest section & selection for knowledge for the CTS-V's that there is. Not being allowed to talk about certain illegal activities is such a small price to pay to belong to such a great forum.
I'm thankful that the other threads were closed without anybody being banned or vacationed.
To complain that we are allowed to discuss certain other questionable activities is just asking the forum elders to shut those sections or areas down also, and definitely not the course of action or direction I would undertake. In short, be thankful for what we have. I consider it a privilege to belong to such a great forum and be able to converse with all of you.

thebigjimsho
06-25-10, 05:36 AM
Sorry to go against the grain of popular opinion, but FWIW & IMHO:
This forum belongs to some dude named Sal, what would ever make anybody think anything else.
As a general rule, moderators do perform a thankless task, of their own free will, spend their own time, and sometimes have to make "judgement calls" that they feel is in the best interest of the forum. They make their calls by guidelines established by the forum owners, precedents, what has worked well in the past, and / or what they think that the forum owner(s) would want them to do.
If we aren't allowed to talk about a certain subject, then so be it, and that I consider a small price to pay to belong to the best Cadillac forum in existence. Every forum has its weak points and its strong points. This forum has the strongest section & selection for knowledge for the CTS-V's that there is. Not being allowed to talk about certain illegal activities is such a small price to pay to belong to such a great forum.
I'm thankful that the other threads were closed without anybody being banned or vacationed.
To complain that we are allowed to discuss certain other questionable activities is just asking the forum elders to shut those sections or areas down also, and definitely not the course of action or direction I would undertake. In short, be thankful for what we have. I consider it a privilege to belong to such a great forum and be able to converse with all of you.Excellent post, Gary.

thebigjimsho
06-25-10, 05:47 AM
Why in the world are these threads being locked? Yet the moderator(s) let threads containing racing videos and discussions about "kills" to remain open?

This makes no sense to me. The 4-page thread (I read every post) was very interesting, thought provoking, and surprisingly respectful. None of it was offensive and it had everything to do with what we all want to discuss: Our cars and what we want (or don't want) to do with them. If you don't want to read the thread, don't click on it.

If you're going to curtail these threads, then maybe we shouldn't be allowed to talk about racing at all. Or speeding. Or how to hide our tunes from the dealerships. You get my point? Heck...let's just take the V section off Cadillacforums.com because our cars only worsen our addiction to fossil fuels. Stupid, right? Exactly. Let these discussions stay up and running. They're not hurting anyone.

Tony

Exactly. This is OUR forum, not the moderators! They are there to perform a function, and I am thankful for their presence most of the time. But this is ridiculous, hypocritical, and contradictory. Am I allowed to criticize a moderator? Or does that go against the user terms as well?

Tony
This is not OUR forum. If you really think so, you didn't read the terms carefully when you signed up.

As long as I've ever posted on these forums, which has eclipsed 6 years, street racing threads have not been allowed. It's as simple as that. If you don't like the fact that some may slip through the cracks and aren't removed, feel free to flag it. I have personally flagged a number of street racing threads as well as inappropriate posts and unauthorized for sale threads.

I can certainly see why Tony and Jimmy get tired of moderating. It certainly is a thankless job. Tony407, you seem to be, in general, a pretty thoughtful guy and I can understand frustration in inconsistencies in overseeing of some of these threads. But I've had the chance to meet both Tony and Jimmy and consider them friends. And they are among the coolest and nicest guys you'll ever meet. And they try HARD to keep these threads in check while trying to let it be as edgy and fun as possible.

But these guys have lives as do most of us. They don't moderate just one section and they aren't robots. They will simply miss things. And, to be honest, usurping their authority by calling them out in a separate thread is a bit short-sighted. Just PM the guys next time.

thebigjimsho
06-25-10, 05:52 AM
In fact, just because this thread was created to call out the moderators instead of just PMing them, I'll do you the favor of flagging it so that you can meet your maker more quickly...

CIWS
06-25-10, 07:17 AM

Tony

Be careful what you wish for.

whisler151
06-25-10, 07:29 AM
In the words of CIWS..."This will not end well."

garfin
06-25-10, 09:11 AM
In my experience being involved in other enthusiast boards, the main reason often given by the owner(s) for banning street racing threads, is that a significant number of board sponsors would walk away from supporting that board based on their desire to not have their businesses associated with a venue that could be looked upon as sanctioning (or tolerating) street racing by permitting/encouraging discussions.

On the other hand, I also participate in another enthusiast board where 1 guy runs it totally on his own - and not to make a buck. No sponsors are allowed for the simple reason that he does not wish to have anybody dictate what will or will not be tolerated on the forum.

Best regards,

Elie

The Tony Show
06-25-10, 10:10 AM
Street racing discussion is not allowed.

I don't care how well intentioned a thread about street racing is trying to be, eventually it will devolve into a dick waving contest between a few members, with someone getting up on a high horse and telling everyone how great a driver they are, and that they've been street racing for 10 years and never hurt anybody, blah blah blah. Then the name calling starts, and it has now become of no use to anyone. It's for that reason that street racing threads are locked ASAP. No exceptions.

Being a Super Moderator I'm tasked with watching every single section of the forums (not just one), and in case you hadn't noticed, this place is kind of huge. Therefore in my spare time I pop in to each forum, browse the first two pages of threads and nip any rule infractions I see (or any that are reported to the Moderators. You'd be surprised how many of these threads are reported to us by your fellow members.) I sometimes miss one though, so I appreciate you pointing out the fact that there are "kill" threads that have been missed. I'm off to get those now.

(Okay- I just looked through the first 5 pages of posts, and didn't see any.)

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, guys. I don't make the rules. Sal, the forum owner does, and he's asked me to help enforce them. I'm one of the only Mods who will even bother responding to post like this where someone calls me out by name. Most other Moderators here would just delete it completely (not lock it- delete it) and ban a person who doesn't support the forum for publicly bitching about the staff. Honestly, you're lucky I'm the one that stumbled across this thread.

If anyone here wants to dedicate a few hours of every single day to doing this and get nothing in return except a bunch of headaches and nasty emails, feel free to contact Sal and ask to be a Moderator. You'll want to kill yourself after a week.