: stock motor mount life - 7 days? (warranty related)

CadzillaTN
06-24-10, 05:40 PM
so the dealer flat blew me off when i offered to hand them my cs mounts in place of the stock mount(s) they would be replacing under warranty. i just dont get it.. but it doesnt matter.

the driver mount was clearly shot but passenger still had not lost its goo, so they would not replace that one.. i told them they should probably replace the passenger too, as it works in tandem to support the driver and since it was so worn, it may cause the driver to fail premturely.... no dice. same blue-hair response.

they replaced the driver. the car still shifted like sh*t off the lot. i could feel that the mount was 'new', but there was still a ton of mush and play. now... ive had new stock mounts before and while not awesome, it still felt much more "solid".. a couple days later, it got real bad, motor slam, all that stuff. i get under it, and theres a nice new patch of very dark fluid on the oil pan. i have pics of this before they replaced, and although you could see a very very faint juice mark where the old mount failed, it wasnt nearly this dark and fresh/sticky.. there also seems to be a bit of juice marking on the side of the new mount as well, but it still looks brand new. seems it shot right out of the top.

my question, i guess mostly for you lurkers who had multiple sets replaced back in your warranty days, and for the dealer techs is: did you ever see/have one fail this quick?

some of you are probably thinking why the hell is he even going through this, especially with cs mounts in hand..well, for one thing, i expect to get what i pay for in a warranty and a failed part is a failed part. two, i dont like a sevice writer treating me like im clueless...(fyi they botched a few other things on this same trip). my main goal was to utilize their labor to install my cs mounts hoping to save myself and the dealer money, but perhaps i dont really understand how it works... i was even willing to let them use the cs on the driver only...which is still better than having to do both myself. 3, while not scared of the install, i just cant find the time to do it so im trying to play all angles first. 4, i still have a nasty 6th gear vibration that i doubt will get repaired nearly as easy with aftermarket mounts..

repenttokyo
06-24-10, 05:43 PM
my opinion: if they are botching other things as well when you take your car to them, keep them as far away from your car as possible.

Houdini
06-24-10, 05:59 PM
I had my motor mounts replaced recently and the first day of driving it shifted pretty good (noticed an immediate difference when I picked up the car from dealer). The next day, the terrible shifting started to come back. By the end of the week it seemed that these brand new mounts were already shot. I'm just living with them for now since I'm still under warranty for a long time but I'll replace them on my own with CS in the future. The OEM mounts that the dealer put in are from a new supplier. GM had them on backorder forever while they waited on the new supplier to tool up. I'm starting to wonder if the new supplier made them even worse than the originals...LOL. So far I don't see any green goo leaking from mine or on my garage floor but they sure seem shot. The motor moves a ton when I rev it up and I have a slight vibration on idle that shakes the car a bit. These OEM mounts are crazy...but we all knew that.

heavymetals
06-24-10, 06:19 PM
When my mounts failed (under warranty) they replaced them with the UUC's I handed them and they didn't care.

However, I was told no more motor mount warranty (which I considered fair).

When the UUC's FAILED I had to replace them myself.

CadzillaTN
06-24-10, 06:33 PM
my opinion: if they are botching other things as well when you take your car to them, keep them as far away from your car as possible.

i agree, and thats my next step...

there are only 2 to choose from...dealer a is across town. dealer b is literally a mile fom my house...same owner. i went to dealer b when i bought the car. they jacked it up real nice.. went to dealer a, great writer, great techs, great repair quality/ fit and finish...bought ext waranty too. my writer transferred to dealer b, so i gave dealer b another chance. jaced up the car again. so, back to dealer a we go... i just hate going 30 miles instead of one...my office is in the opposite direction and it triples the stress that already exists with dealer visits...

CadzillaTN
06-24-10, 08:30 PM
here's a couple of cell pics

Twitch
06-24-10, 09:02 PM
I have about two years on my OEM mounts, and they seem fine. I told my service writer one was ripped and the other looked deflated. Without even looking at the car, he said he'll order both and call me back when they come in. Sucks that the new ones are so cheap.

bneal1022
06-26-10, 09:53 AM
I am out of warranty and just installed grey CS mounts myself when I did my headers while in there. Love them. The install is nto hard and I have had no issues. I had not problems with my original mounts but wanted to take the mush out of the powertrain. My original mounts were in near perfect condition with 35K on them. So good in fact I listed them used with 35K on ebay and someone bought them. For whatever reason my mounts had longevity and no signs of failing.

Try a different dealer. I fought with a local dealer for 3 years on a problem with my GMC. Spent hunders - nothing. Went to a different dealer 20 miles away and they diagnosed my problem and had it fixed over lunch.. there IS a difference.

KaMaSuTrA
06-26-10, 12:31 PM
OEM motor mounts on this car really have to be replaced in pairs. When you only replace one OEM mount and leave the other side untouched, the stiffer mount will cause deflection on the older mount and the top point will cave into the rubber and start leaking. Depending on your driving habits and just how bad the condition of the older mount was, it will tear it up in 7 days or 7 months. This happened to me and I ended up snagging Creative Steel blacks. I know what you mean about getting your moneys worth out of the warranty but the OEM mounts are sheer junk and operate on borrowed time.

jdighton
03-07-11, 10:04 PM
I replaced OEM MM in 03/10 with the UUC since the OEM were on back order. Last week, only after 17k since installed, the UUC MM failed. Car vibrates alot. So, to say the least, I'm not impressed with the aftermarket mounts at all..having to spend $$ for the same thing in 12 months. Going back the OEM since they are now avaiable and hope they will last longer. The originals lasted 5 years and 51K miles.

2005 CTS-V

Brad1970
03-07-11, 11:17 PM
so which motor mounts should someone go with if OEM fail & so do the UUC's?

MotorMounts
03-07-11, 11:47 PM

Anyone???

Chris0nllyn
03-08-11, 01:02 PM
OP, have you checked out the trans mount by chance?

AG'S-V
03-08-11, 02:04 PM
66k and on my 2nd OEM set...so far the latest ones have lasted over a year, they're squishy but no explosions...even lifted up the motor to check.

I've got CS blacks on hand for when they do go boom, however my stock tranny mount looks fine...is it worth replacing anyway? From what I understand the CS tranny mount is just like stock?

CadzillaTN
03-08-11, 06:15 PM

There is currently no mount that has proven to be a worthy stock replacement. I would define worthy as: lasting as long or longer, having equal or better performance, and protecting the engine and other components from damage.

Would anyone care to argue that statement? Anyone???

MotorMounts
03-08-11, 08:09 PM
There is currently no mount that has proven to be a worthy stock replacement. I would define worthy as: lasting as long, having equal or better performance, and protecting the engine and other components from damage.

Would anyone care to argue that statement? Anyone???

I will argue that statement up one side down the other.

#1, Last as long ???..... What...That was the original topic of this thread. Read the title. The OP had a new OEM mount last one week before failure. Are you trying to tell us that the OEM mounts are known for their longevity?
#2 Equal or better performance ???.....How many guys out there with OEM mounts ever take their car over 4000 RPM, let alone any kind of a race track even once in awhile. Even the 3.8L cars brake the factory mounts.
#3 Protection from damaging the engine or other components. Again...What? What components and how many engines have been damaged by a failed engine mount of any brand? I'm sure that someone would've posted a thread about all the damage to their car that was caused by a failed mount if there was such an occurrence.

Now for the bonus questions:

#4 What is the warranty on set of OEM mounts, who do you call if there is a problem, and there's going to be one.
#5 How many of you guys out there that have (any brand) aftermarket motor mounts wish they had OEM mounts. That's gonna be a sho-o-o-ort list.
#6 What is the "Sold-Failed" ratio of OEM mounts vs. the ratio of aftermarket mounts (any brand).

I could probably go on for at least another 2 or 3, but I'm at work and have things to do.

We had a problem with our Gray mounts and our OEM style, both of which we kinda got snookered in to making by customers that were worried about vibrations being transmitted through our black mounts, and this is without trying the black mounts first. At least we fixed the problem we had. GM has had a problem with their mounts, WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO FIX IT? And who's balls are you busting about their mistakes. I'll bet they've had more hate mail over their mounts than all the nay-sayers about our mounts could ever generate in ten lifetimes.

We have warrantied 3 black mounts since we joined the forum. NOT 3 sets, 3 individual mounts, 2 were from the failure to install the heat shields and one was that the guy snapped a bolt by over torquing. Just so ya know, we warrantied all 3 mounts with a SET of mounts. Does your Beloved General do that.

So to prove that I'm not full of it.......If there is anyone reading this post that has had one of our black mounts fail... Speak the F*** up !!! We all want to hear from you.

Posts like the one I am responding to now make me understand why other vendors pack up their toys to go looking for another playground. It's not worth it, there are other cars.

This was not a rant post, I'm sick of the whiners that do nothing for the V community make it hard on the guys that are trying to make a difference. If you are one of those whiners "put away your soapbox, shut-up and actually build something with your own hands for these cars"

In closing: There are about 300 guys out there in the V-World that I have all the respect in the world for, I hope you know who you are, none of this post was directed at you.

Stay Thirsty My Friends, Max

CadzillaTN
03-08-11, 09:33 PM
I hope you feel better now. I knew you couldn't keep your mouth shut...

Stepside
03-08-11, 09:39 PM
:yup: That's why I put a torque cable (left side) from the block bracket to the cradle, to reduce the stress :bonkers: on the stock motor mounts.
:annoyed: And that was a PITA to do.

MotorMounts
03-08-11, 10:12 PM
I hope you feel better now. I knew you couldn't keep your mouth shut...

No, I really don't feel better, I don't like all the drama and dysfunction and it's not productive in any way. In fact, I think it's "destructive" to the moral of all who read it. I'll try to keep my mouth shut.

Stepside
03-08-11, 10:31 PM

And the ANSWER IS . . . ~ CREATIVE STEEL ~ . . . . . . + it's really a nobrainer.