: What octane should you run in the Escalade?

ESCALADE132
06-24-10, 03:09 PM
I see all over where people say the octane does not matter, but is that really true. People say you do not need to run high test gas(91 or 93) unless you have a high compression engine. Say my question is what octane should I be running in the Escalade? What does the manual call for?
Thanks

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-24-10, 05:41 PM
I checked in the 2008 Escalade Owners Manual and this is what it suggests: Use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane
rating of 91 or higher. If this is not the model year of your vehicle you can direct message me with your model year and I will look up the correct owners manual for you.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

Fast Eddie
06-25-10, 11:50 AM
As with all of these threads that pop up, the answers will vary from those who swere that they see no difference using regular to those who ping and knock with it. I had to fill up once with it with my 05 EXT. The gas mileage went down and throttle tip in was off.

At 12,000 miles a year with an average of 12 mpg you use 1000 gallons of gas. At a $.20 difference in price between regular and premium you are looking at $200 a year in extra cost. If you get 1 mpg less on regular than premium you have completely erased the benefit cost of going cheap.

So the manufacturer states "USE PREMIUM FUELS ONLY", there is no real world dollar savings (estimating 1 mpg loss) in regular gas, your power levels DO drop, and there is the potential for eventual engine damage. You are driving a $70,000 vehicle and are concerned about the potential savings of $200 with all the potential downside?? Why bother???

leeah
06-25-10, 11:50 AM
I compared the specs between Denali and Escalade, and they both ahve same compression ratio. Is this mean that Denali also takes Premium grade fuel?

lousy_investor
06-25-10, 12:20 PM
I compared the specs between Denali and Escalade, and they both ahve same compression ratio. Is this mean that Denali also takes Premium grade fuel?

A lot of car manufacturers seem to take the position that if a car can only take premium gasoline, then it is a better car, better turned, or well, a premium brand. It is almost like "your piece of sh*t would take regular? nah, mine only takes the best".

Look at the Toyota/Lexus combo. Many of the vehicles share the exact same engine. I forgot exactly which truck I looked into but it was one of those V8 engines. In a Toyota it takes regular. But when put into a lexus, it suddenly only takes premium. Lexus claimed that they had tuned the engine and required premium as a result. A closer examination showed all the input/output specs of the engines are identical.. So the only result of that tuning was it would only take gasoline with a 15% premium in price? Can I not have the engine tuned that way? ;)

ESCALADE132
06-25-10, 02:08 PM
Eddie I put this on here to see other peoples point of views not to complain. I always use premium in my Escalade but wanted to see what others thought. It seems you took it a little bit personal? Do you use 87? Do you have a Escalade or something else?

ESCALADE132
06-25-10, 02:12 PM
Thanks for your help Jeff

Neoex
06-25-10, 03:00 PM
Sorry, if there is one misnomer itis that higher octane will give you increased gas mileage, this is FALSE. It can indirectly give an ABILITY to achieve more gas mileage with more aggresive timing/fuel maps but the octane in and of itself does not affect gas mileage..

You have to run high octane not only for compression, but mainly due to timing/fuel maps. Octane rating controls at when the fuel will ignite in the cylinder. If it ignites to early(not in the cylinder) it will cause predetonation often referred to as "pinging". This can cause a laundry list of problems, some pretty major(blown head gaskets). The escalade fuel/air/spark maps are AGGRESSIVE, how else do you think they get 413HP out of the motor? Aggresive enough to require premium fuel. You should run whatever octane gives you NO PINGING, anything more is a WASTE. That being said, if I put a tank of 89 in mine and lean heavy on the gas up a hill, i hear my car pinging. I run nothing but 91 in mine.

Power programers all they do is adjust these maps to become more aggresive than factory tunes, thats why they all say RUN premium fuel.

You have to remember regional differences in altitude and weather all have to be accounted for when GM makes these air/fuel/timing maps. So if your in an ideal place with cool temps, low humidity your going to be less prone to detonation than someone in Death Valley at over 100 degress. Cold air is more dense.

SouthernCaddy
06-25-10, 06:40 PM
87 hear and it runs fine, no pinging and almost 75K on it now. Wonder what I have saved?

mark v.
06-25-10, 07:55 PM
i use the midgrade,89 octane in my 08 escalade and have had no problems

TheGooch
06-25-10, 09:06 PM
Ok, now I'm convinced. I've only had mine a month, running 87 fine, but now i am convinced and will use nothing but premium fuel. There goes my Starbucks allowance. (joking).

evois
06-26-10, 02:34 AM
I am using premium for my escalade hybrid even if the manual says 87 grade or higher. meaning, I can use regular but will have optimum performance with premium. case in point, the changeover of the AFM(active fuel management) toV8 from V4 will be prolonged if the conditions: there is no knock sensed(premium!), the V4 time length has been reached, there is less load in the engine, the engine has reached operating temperatures, the battery is in good condition. That is why I noticed I get better mileage with premium in it vs regular.

Gigantor
06-29-10, 12:16 PM
i use the midgrade,89 octane in my 08 escalade and have had no problems

I concur, I run only 89n octane with no issues

slimfro
07-05-10, 04:14 PM
Very delicate topic. Some idiots go by popular believes, some other by their own opinions and ignorance, some just don't care since they have the money. One word for you: Brainwashed! That's what's been going for years in the oil industry and a prime example will be the oil change every 3K miles. True some people might ask if you are driving a luxury truck why worry about and extra $300 a year on gas? Like i said it might be nothing for certain people for others maybe times got tough or maybe by being money smart for years they were able to buy their luxury dream truck and still keep their saving habits so why spend those extra 300 bucks a year. On the long run it adds up and won't be just pocket change. The oil industry folks are smart that small amount multiplied by all the luxury drivers gives a nice amount every year.
I will keep my opinion to myself but will share the articles i came across online after doing some research because i refuse to be a society dummy and won't jump cause the whole world jump without a valid reason.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fueleconomy/articles/106293/article.html

http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/premium/questions.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/01q4/regular_or_premium_-feature/test_results_page_2

Pay attention to what they say about Engine Pinging on new rides so many dudes here have their imagination hearing things, lol.

LITTLEELVISDAN
07-05-10, 05:07 PM
93 for me. Unless I go to a state that only has 91 then it's 91

LITTLEELVISDAN
07-05-10, 05:11 PM
It all depends on what your engine is tuned for. Not misbelief or over marketing to the rich.. A Dodge is tuned for the lowest rating. A FI'd car or high compression engine requires higher octane to stop premature detonation.

Dobiesdaddy
07-11-10, 10:49 PM
With the value I have in this vehicle and what I know from past experiences with high-performance normally aspirated and turbo charged cars and having built engines. I will stick with the highest octane possible and not risk and degradation in performance or longevity of my engine.
What is a few cents extra at the pump when you are driving a world class ride like ours?

desidon
07-12-10, 11:56 AM
low grade if it is leased and premium if you bought it :lildevil: