: Holy Christmas Tree Batman! Alternator?

Adam Boca
06-23-10, 09:29 PM
After a ton of searching I am even more lost...

Last night while driving I got a message saying Service Vehicle Soon. Ran codes, and there were none. Today while driving the car I got every message available, Service Stability System, Low Battery, etc. My volts went from 10.2 down to 8.8. Took the car straight to advanced auto and they diagnosed it as the alternator.....

The TC light on the dash was on, then airbag light, and then all of the lights. AC shut down, radio shut down, NAV kept on restarting, etc...

To me it is classic alt. symptoms, but not sure with all of the searching I have done...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Adam Boca

Adam Boca
06-23-10, 09:45 PM
I saw this comment in this post: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/57772-service-vehicle-soon-battery-not-charging.html

"You might have some stressed wires at the generator if it is an '04."

How do I check this wire out? Mine is an 04..

Thanks!

c4ss
06-23-10, 10:20 PM
Do you have headers? Because I remember Whisler had the same issue as you, with all kinds of crazy codes being thrown and service messages on the nav. His alternator cable was resting on the header and literally roasting. Let me find the thread.

EDIT: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/193182-alternator-wire-v-header-fail.html

ewill3rd
06-23-10, 10:31 PM
Be sure the wires are secure on the alternator.
There is one connection that clips in and one with a nut to secure it to the charging post.
Of those connections are clean and tight, it sounds like the alternator is bad.

It isn't too hard to change, but the radiator does have to come out.
That isn't hard to do either, it just takes some time.

Adam Boca
06-23-10, 10:52 PM
C4ss, no headers, stock manifolds...I saw that post too...I will check to make sure mine is not cooked..

e3willrd, thanks for the info..I will order the alternator just incase...

Any other input is appreciated!!

Baltimore07V
06-24-10, 04:51 AM
C4ss, no headers, stock manifolds...I saw that post too...I will check to make sure mine is not cooked..

e3willrd, thanks for the info..I will order the alternator just incase...

Any other input is appreciated!!

If you haven't already, check all your grounds. Make sure they are clean and well connected. Seems there have been several issues (just off memory) of funny codes all connected to grounds that have gone bad.

Good luck, I hate electrical issues. They are a PITA!

SuperVeee
06-24-10, 10:29 AM
You don't need headers to burn the pigtail wire at the starter and cause electrical hell. My V has a stock exhaust and the cooked wire caused problems like yours. Maybe it was caused by too much motor movement from the broken motor mounts at the time. Not sure. Take a close look at that starter connection to see if the insulator is gone or not.

Adam Boca
06-27-10, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I ended up going ahead an buying a new alternator for $280. I thought this was a really good deal (relatively speaking).

We worked on the car today and noticed all of the connections were really good on the old alternator. We moved the fan out of the way (did not completely remove it), and then removed the old alternator. I went to the auto parts store and had it tested and it ended up failing the test. So the new one went in. We started the project around 11:30 and finished at 4:00. We were out at the store for an hour, so we were pleased with the amount of time it took to change the part.

The dealer wanted to charge $890 for the part and installation. Overall for my 4.5 hours of work I am VERY pleased I was able to save this kind of money!

BTW: I consider myself intermediate at wrenching, by no means an expert or advanced. It was pretty easy to change once you figure out how to put yourself in some awkward positions!

Dixievet
06-29-10, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I ended up going ahead an buying a new alternator for $280. I thought this was a really good deal (relatively speaking).

We worked on the car today and noticed all of the connections were really good on the old alternator. We moved the fan out of the way (did not completely remove it), and then removed the old alternator. I went to the auto parts store and had it tested and it ended up failing the test. So the new one went in. We started the project around 11:30 and finished at 4:00. We were out at the store for an hour, so we were pleased with the amount of time it took to change the part.

The dealer wanted to charge $890 for the part and installation. Overall for my 4.5 hours of work I am VERY pleased I was able to save this kind of money!

BTW: I consider myself intermediate at wrenching, by no means an expert or advanced. It was pretty easy to change once you figure out how to put yourself in some awkward positions!

:cheers:

Adam Boca
06-29-10, 11:41 PM
YO! YO! What is up dixie? Yama getting hers?

ewill3rd
06-30-10, 07:51 AM
Congrats on the install!
It is pretty quick and easy to zip the radiator out and it gives so much more room, but as long as you had no problems.
Great to hear.
Enjoy!