: oil smells like gas low oil pressure

nekobarnes
06-23-10, 08:47 PM
Ok, last thread for the day! Now has anyone smelled there oil and sniffed a hint of gas after experiencing a low oil pressure problem with there cars? I noticed after my oil pressure can lit up after idling at a stop light and pulling over to check my oil level that it smelled of gas. I got my oil changed a week ago and i smelled NO gas after the change. Is this normal and could this be the reason why so many others are also having low oil pressure warnings with these motors? Maybe, its normal to smell a bit of gas in the oil, i'm not sure.

Ranger
06-23-10, 10:16 PM
It's not normal. Is you gas mileage bad? Hard starts? Maybe you have a leaky injector. If so, it would bleed off fuel pressure at shut down and some off the fuel would leak past the rings overnight and into the crankcase.

nekobarnes
06-23-10, 10:36 PM
Yes, gas mileage is crappy and I have occasionally had a hard time getting it started after I shut it down not too long before. and recently I have noticed that my oil is looking a little thin although I just added the Rotella 15w-40. How can I test fuel injectors to see if they are malfunctioning?

Ranger
06-23-10, 10:47 PM
Lift the fuel rail. There is a tutorial in the Tech Tips section.

nekobarnes
06-23-10, 10:53 PM
thank you Ranger

Submariner409
06-24-10, 10:52 AM
15W-40 is too heavy for your Northstar. Rotella (and Pennzoil Long Life - same oil company, SOPUS) both make a 10W-30 fleet oil with exactly the same additive package as the 15W-40.

Yep ^^^^ you have a leaky FPR or a sticky/stuck injector. (Very few cases of this with a Northstar.......gas smell in the oil.)

Do the FPR check first, then dump a 20 oz. jug of Chevron TECHRON in the tank, fill with 91/93 Texaco/Chevron CALTEX and go for a long drive. If that doesn't clear up the injector problem, it's time to check each injector coil resistance (~14 Ohms) and electrical connector. If they're all very close, then either a GM injector cleaning or new set - $$$$ @ www.rockauto.com.